U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 07:59 AM

63 posts, read 95,048 times

Advertisements

I am thinking about cities with quality museums that offer a variety of cultural experiences. Large collections, niche museums, contemporary art, etc... what cities offer the strongest variety of museums? And what are those museums?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2016, 08:06 AM

7,727 posts, read 4,578,077 times
DC and NY are on their own tier.

I know Chicago is on the next tier, but I'm not sure who else. I can't think of a lot of cities with a wide assortment of GOOD museums. They may have good art museums, but lack natural history/science museums. They may have great collections of classic art, but lack contemporary art.

Old 09-07-2016, 08:25 AM

3,613 posts, read 1,538,253 times
Washington, DC and New York City for sure.

Old 09-07-2016, 08:36 AM

32,376 posts, read 55,199,350 times
New York
Washington DC
Los Angeles

are my top 3.

Old 09-07-2016, 10:02 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,228,885 times
Cleveland has one of the best art museums in the country. So there's that city as well. The Saint Louis Art Museum, while not as highly ranked as some of the others, is fairly decent as are some museums in Kansas City. Neither St. Louis or Kansas City comes close to making the top ones though. Pittsburgh also has a great History Museum. The obvious top cities are New York, LA, Chicago, D.C., Philly, and Boston.

Old 09-07-2016, 10:03 AM

234 posts, read 102,604 times
Obviously NYC and then DC are the top cities.

Chicago, LA, Philly, Boston are also quite strong.

Old 09-07-2016, 10:03 AM

11,177 posts, read 22,388,331 times
NY
DC
Chicago
LA

those are the more obvious top 4 for me. Been to museums in all of them and they're nice.

Old 09-07-2016, 10:28 AM

7,727 posts, read 4,578,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
Cleveland has one of the best art museums in the country. So there's that city as well. The Saint Louis Art Museum, while not as highly ranked as some of the others, is fairly decent as are some museums in Kansas City. Neither St. Louis or Kansas City comes close to making the top ones though. Pittsburgh also has a great History Museum. The obvious top cities are New York, LA, Chicago, D.C., Philly, and Boston.
I didn't think Boston was that strong. I'd rank Pittsburgh over Boston.

Old 09-07-2016, 10:57 AM

231 posts, read 155,059 times
Gotta be DC, imo. Not just because of the sheer number of museums (which is huge) but the fact that all the museums are FREE!! (Most of them, at least)

As a native Washingtonian I always, always get sticker shock when I walk into a museum and you have to pay $20 to see the art. You really do get spoiled in DC- I used to go there after school when I wanted a break, and it was always NBD. Free museums is a wonderful thing.

Old 09-07-2016, 10:57 AM

7,906 posts, read 4,883,854 times
Including its great national historical museums -- Independence and Valley Forge -- I would rank Philadelphia higher than both Boston and LA. Considering history museums, Washington, DC, may even rank higher than NYC, even though the Met alone is the greatest art museum in the world IMO.

So, at the top, take NYC or Washington. Next, Philadelphia, followed closely by LA. After that, Boston and San Francisco would have to be considered. Following those cities, Chicago likely is definitely in the top 10.

Cleveland has both its great art museum and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum. Its CSA includes the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton, and one of the best university art museums in Oberlin. It has two great maritime museums in the U.S.S. Cod, typically considered the best WWII U.S. fleet submarine, and the Steamship Mather, one of the very best mechanical engineering landmarks. Cleveland has a very good natural history museum, and excellent Mormon history sites in Kirtland. So I would put it in the top 10.

https://www.asme.org/getmedia/f1e7a2...ther-1925.aspx

Chicago probably ranks above Cleveland with a great art museum, great natural history museum, and great science and industry museum.

Detroit has a great art museum and the incomparable The Henry Ford. The Henry Ford may boost Detroit into the top 10.

Houston, St. Louis, and Kansas City also are worthy of consideration. All three have some excellent historical museums, more so in St. Louis if you include the Cahokia Mounds world heritage site.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or