U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 06:58 AM

18 posts, read 8,603 times

Advertisements

I look at the crime rate, politics, job market and weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2016, 08:20 AM

1,710 posts, read 1,375,216 times
Most importantly, job market and salaries in the area. Crime is also important.

Old 09-10-2016, 08:19 PM

158 posts, read 112,980 times
It's very hard to say without knowing the areas you are considering. I assume you have looked into affordability, crime, economy (regardless of your jobs as it can impact other issues), amenities, health services, schools, taxes, and proximity to friends/family. I would also consider what areas around the selected cities you would most like to explore. Neighboring states that interest you could become weekend adventures so the surrounding area is important too. Then if you still haven't decided on 'the one' I would start some threads in those communities on City-Data. I would also get their perspective on the other cities. Ex: Say you are interested in Seattle, Madison, & Burlington I would ask Seattle what their city has that Burlington or Madison doesn't have. I'd do this for all. Hopefully you would gain insight from asking those cities.

Old 09-10-2016, 08:30 PM

1,265 posts, read 833,011 times
I based my decision on where I live now on proximity to family and job/school opportunities. I knew that my family and I needed to move from the small we lived in. However, we still wanted to be close enough to visit family on weekends and holidays and also have more job opportunities for my wife and a good college for me to attend and get a job afterwards. Weather wasn't an issue because we wanted to stay in the same region, lots of snow, 4 season, and beautiful summers and falls. That's how we decided.

Since you can't really pick from the three you've narrowed it down to my advice would be to find one thing each city has that the other two don't and pick the thing you like best out of the three and move to that city. Could be proximity to family, or ocean. Better weather or nightlife, what ever you choose. That's pretty much what I did. We narrowed it down to three cities and we picked the city that we felt has the best schools for myself and my children as well. Good luck on your choice. What are the three cities you are down too. Maybe some posted can help sway your decision.

Last edited by gt87; 09-10-2016 at 08:38 PM..

Old 09-12-2016, 06:57 AM

2,319 posts, read 1,864,716 times
We also were self employed and could move anywhere, which like you said made it quite overwhelming. For us, it kind of just happened. We were given the opportunity to stay in a friends condo for a couple months in SW Florida and fell in love with Sarasota and the surrounding areas. We didn't want to be biased though so we started to research other cities in FL. We had about 4 total and visited them all. For one reason or another we crossed off one after another. Only one we liked is the one we started with in the first place. We were looking for warm weather through the year and lots of outdoor activities. We also both love the water so either a major lake or ocean was required in the search. No state income tax is awesome also and the schools were great(no kids yet though, but considered it). We researched crime, population, growth, weather, amenities, nearby day trips or weekend trips as we love to travel and explore, outdoor activities and cost of living. Everything matched well.

Before this, we took a piece of paper and wrote down all the states, then wrote out pros cons and crossed off ones we knew wouldn't work well(like California due to the COL or Michigan due to the cold weather ect). We didn't have many left to choose from haha. We then researched all we could for each one, still crossing off when we knew it wasn't for us. Arizona was one we also really considered and visited. It was a no go for my husband who realized he didn't enjoy the dessert look - he wanted more greenery. Though I did love our visit there! I think in time we will move again once we are older(50s) and move somewhere much slower paced and rural but for now this fits us very nicely for our current lifestyle.

Old 09-12-2016, 02:03 PM

10,586 posts, read 14,379,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxx233 View Post
What things have helped you narrow down a place? What about when you got to your final 2 or 3 choices - presumably all good - how did you decide from there?
I had a similar situation, got to transfer with a company that has thousands of locations. Pretty quickly scratched huge areas off for one reason or another. Got down to a half dozen, and then down to two in TN and one in MI.
I totally relate to the fuddrucker story because one of the things I did was to sit down and use google maps 'search nearby' feature to see if my favorite restaurants and stores were in those areas, how close was the nearest zoo, airport, big concert venue, etc.
I also like being outdoors so I used wundergrounds weather history along with the very detailed sunset climate zone maps to help me figure out which place would give me the longest window of comfortable temps. Reluctantly scratched off MI knowing that as I got older dealing with the snow there every single winter would probably lose it's charm.
I finally scratched off one of the other TN towns because while I liked that it's close enough to Nashville to make a lot of things convenient, it's also close enough that I worried that at some point down the road it might get swallowed up in Nashville's suburban sprawl and lose the advantages of living in a smaller city.
I think one of the other things that caused me to go with TN is the more central location, I can be in Nashville, Atlanta, or DC in about 5 hours, so lots of opportunities for fun weekend getaways if I choose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or