Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 05:33 PM

7,777 posts, read 10,158,094 times

Advertisements

sorry OP but St Louis doesn't make it in the elite group. It is probably third tier when you're talking about abundance of quality institutions. NYC, Boston, Philly, LA, Chicago, SF, DC can all be discussed to varying degrees though imo NYC, Boston, and LA are the first tier.

Now if you're analyzing per capita, St Louis certainly pulls its weight in the conversation. Although in such a case I'd submit RDU as the #1 region per capita.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2016, 10:59 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,858,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
sorry OP but St Louis doesn't make it in the elite group. It is probably third tier when you're talking about abundance of quality institutions. NYC, Boston, Philly, LA, Chicago, SF, DC can all be discussed to varying degrees though imo NYC, Boston, and LA are the first tier.

Now if you're analyzing per capita, St Louis certainly pulls its weight in the conversation. Although in such a case I'd submit RDU as the #1 region per capita.
Third tier? LMAO you're not even giving it second tier? You're truly out of your mind.

Old 09-10-2016, 09:33 AM

436 posts, read 521,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post

I should qualify my response by saying I went to grad school at Wash U but I tend to agree with you. Great school and a lot of pride in it but St. Louis doesn't have the same weight as other metros.

Old 09-10-2016, 10:47 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,858,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjmars View Post
I should qualify my response by saying I went to grad school at Wash U but I tend to agree with you. Great school and a lot of pride in it but St. Louis doesn't have the same weight as other metros.
That's because you have nothing but bad things to say about St. Louis. SLU and WashU are both great schools. I agree that maybe it doesn't have the same weight as 4 million plus metros but as far as 3 million metros go it's without question one of the best.

Old 09-10-2016, 04:48 PM

311 posts, read 313,960 times
Philly has UPenn, Drexel, Temple, St. Joes, La Salle, Chestnut Hill, Philly U, and others all in city borders. Villanova, Swarthmore (top 3 lib arts school), Haverford (top 12 lib arts school), and others lie right outside the city. In addition, Philly is home to some of the most renowned niche higher ed institutions, such as the Curtis Institute of Music and University of the Sciences, among many others. Even Princeton, arguably the greatest school in the world, is just a 30-minute drive outside the city, in Philly's TV market and former metro area (Mercer County).
All told, Philly imo is likely the second best city in the country for higher ed behind just Boston.

Old 09-10-2016, 06:14 PM

8,496 posts, read 4,557,552 times
Institutions of Higher Education in metro Boston:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...politan_Boston

Some Notables
Boston University
Northeastern University
Boston College
Harvard University
MIT
Berklee School of Music
Emerson College
New England Conservatory
Tufts University
Brandeis University
Bentley University

Old 09-13-2016, 06:39 PM

8,496 posts, read 4,557,552 times
US News and World Report just came out with their latest ranking of national universities

Metro Boston had SEVEN of the top 40 schools.

National Universities
2. Harvard University (MA)
7. Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MA)
27. Tufts University (MA) (tie)
31. Boston College (MA)
34. Brandeis University (MA)
39. Boston University (MA) (tie)
39. Northeastern University (MA) (tie)

https://www.boston.com/news/educatio...world-rankings

Old 09-13-2016, 08:43 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,829,292 times
Cal and Stanford make the Bay Area a match for any metro area.

Old 09-13-2016, 09:16 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,959,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
Cal and Stanford make the Bay Area a match for any metro area.
Cal and Stanford, while formidable, don't match Boston or Chicago's top two.

Old 09-13-2016, 09:16 PM

597 posts, read 666,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
Uc Davis has a good med school but not top tier. UCSF is top tier.
I was going to say UCSF - I don't think a lot of people know what a powerhouse it is in medicine and health sciences. But, since it's graduate only, it doesn't have a ranking as a national university or liberal arts college in USWNR. But it's rankings in graduate medicine and health sciences show that it is indeed an elite university. Bay Area represented very well with Berkeley, Stanford, and UCSF.

I would include the "Bay Area" as one thing. I still don't fully understand why SF-Oakland is one metro and San Jose-Santa Clara is another. Well, I do get it historically, but in this day and age doesn't the whole Bay Area act in many ways like a single metro area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.