U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-08-2016, 12:45 PM
 
Location: Arch City
1,724 posts, read 1,230,482 times
Reputation: 846

Advertisements

I'm talking top ranked universities. I would argue that Boston, Chicago, St. Louis, Pittsburgh, and Houston among others rank among the best cities for education in the country. Boston has Brandeis and Harvard. St. Louis has Washington University in St. Louis, Saint Louis University, Webster University, Lindenwood and University of Missouri-St. Louis. Chicago has Northwestern, University of Chicago, Loyola and DePaul. Pittsburgh has Carnegie and I believe a few others. Houston has Rice. Baltimore has Johns Hopkins. Philadelphia I'm sure has good ones. So name me the top cities for academic institutions in the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-08-2016, 12:59 PM
 
Location: Cbus
1,721 posts, read 1,406,762 times
Reputation: 2093
Boston first and then Philadelphia.

Off the top of my head Boston has Harvard, Boston College, MIT, Tufts, Boston University, Northeastern etc.

Philly has UPenn, Villanova, Drexel, Temple, La Salle etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2016, 01:02 PM
 
Location: Savannah GA
13,422 posts, read 16,987,669 times
Reputation: 9513
Atlanta. Georgia Tech, Emory, Agnes Scott, Atlanta University Center
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2016, 01:19 PM
 
Location: Maryland
4,270 posts, read 5,493,345 times
Reputation: 4600
Are we talking directly in the city proper, or entire MSA?

I presume something like MSA rather than arbitrary city limits. In which case:

Boston, NYC, Chicago, Philly, SF, LA, Atlanta, Baltimore are all ones that come to mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2016, 01:24 PM
 
7,744 posts, read 4,587,960 times
Reputation: 8450
Boston: Harvard, MIT, BU, BC, Northeastern, Berklee, etc
LA: Caltech, UCLA, USC, The Claremont Colleges
CHI: University of Chicago, Northwestern, DePaul, Loyola
NYC: Columbia, NYU, Fordham, Barnard, Juliard, Cooper Union
ATL: Georgia Tech, Emory, Morehouse,

I might be willing to swap Chicago and LA, on the strength its top-two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2016, 01:28 PM
 
21,208 posts, read 30,427,905 times
Reputation: 19657
New York City has four universities ranked in the Top 100 nationally, with Columbia (#4), NYU (#32), Yeshiva (#52) and Fordham (#66).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2016, 01:34 PM
 
Location: Texas
3,969 posts, read 3,290,446 times
Reputation: 6813
Definitely think one of the previously mentioned cities of Los Angeles, Atlanta or NYC should supersede Houston in the OP (unless you are factoring in the institutions within the Texas Medical Center)....and I say that as someone from Houston. I would agree with OP that some of the smaller cities on the list (St. Louis and Pittsburgh) have several very well regarded Universities relative to their size, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2016, 01:35 PM
 
29,949 posts, read 27,441,480 times
Reputation: 18540
Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
I'm talking top ranked universities. I would argue that Boston, Chicago, St. Louis, Pittsburgh, and Houston among others rank among the best cities for education in the country. Boston has Brandeis and Harvard. St. Louis has Washington University in St. Louis, Saint Louis University, Webster University, Lindenwood and University of Missouri-St. Louis. Chicago has Northwestern, University of Chicago, Loyola and DePaul. Pittsburgh has Carnegie and I believe a few others. Houston has Rice. Baltimore has Johns Hopkins. Philadelphia I'm sure has good ones. So name me the top cities for academic institutions in the country.
Houston? Rice is a fine institution for sure, but that's about it as far as top-tier universities go. NYC, Philly, and LA definitely deserve a mention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2016, 01:40 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
2,897 posts, read 4,363,176 times
Reputation: 2200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Houston? Rice is a fine institution for sure, but that's about it as far as top-tier universities go. NYC, Philly, and LA definitely deserve a mention.

Metro LA seems to get overlooked in regards to academic prowess. USC, UCLA, Harvey Mudd, Cal Tech, UC-Fullerton, UC-Santa Barbara, Pepperdine.. I'm sure I missed a few others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2016, 01:43 PM
 
29,949 posts, read 27,441,480 times
Reputation: 18540
Quote:
Originally Posted by First24 View Post
Metro LA seems to get overlooked in regards to academic prowess. USC, UCLA, Harvey Mudd, Cal Tech, UC-Fullerton, UC-Santa Barbara, Pepperdine.. I'm sure I missed a few others.
I have no clue why; LA is definitely a powerhouse when it comes to higher ed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top