U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-11-2016, 10:53 PM
Status: "Summer!" (set 16 days ago)
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
86,990 posts, read 102,554,590 times
Reputation: 33053

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
In my opinion, a "liberal" place should have a live and let live mentality/vibe, regardless of voting habits.
That's more libertarian. Lots of liberals are very controlling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-12-2016, 09:25 AM
 
29,904 posts, read 27,345,109 times
Reputation: 18439
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
I will give popular examples: food industry and home construction. I have lost count of the kids who come out of college (and those that post on here) wanting to live off the land and have absolutely no clue as to the basics of home construction or farming. Their professors have fed them all this tiny home, sustainable living bs that is not applicable to the real world.
Susatainable living practices aren't applicable to the real world??? In what universe???

Oh, let me guess: global warming is a hoax invented by the Chinese, recycling is dumb, etc. etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2016, 09:31 AM
 
Location: Pittsburgh, PA (Morningside)
12,416 posts, read 11,917,166 times
Reputation: 10536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Susatainable living practices aren't applicable to the real world??? In what universe???

Oh, let me guess: global warming is a hoax invented by the Chinese, recycling is dumb, etc. etc.
The poster in question seems to just not like things because he doesn't like the people associated with those things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2016, 10:26 AM
 
Location: Bel Air, California
21,318 posts, read 21,877,253 times
Reputation: 33476
Q. When talking about cities, how do you define what makes a city Liberal?

A. prolonged exposure to conservative thinking
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-13-2016, 03:19 PM
 
1,829 posts, read 1,250,388 times
Reputation: 1822
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee2 View Post
I guess it depends on how you are interpreting the word "liberal". Are you interpreting it in the traditional sense, i.e. open to new ideas? Or are you interpreting it in the sense that is has come to be widely used and understood, as in "politically democratic"?
I think you may have liberal confused with progressive, which are different. For instance, banning plastic bags are progressive yet authoritariam, and far from liberal. Not to say it is "right" or "wrong."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
That's more libertarian. Lots of liberals are very controlling.
Well, this sort of relates to the "no true Scotsman" thing. Some people define liberal by how people who describe themselves as liberal behave or believe. I still cling on to the view that liberal means classic liberalism; high personal freedoms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-14-2016, 08:05 PM
 
163 posts, read 106,334 times
Reputation: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I was shocked that only 23% of whites in Harris County voted for Obama. I would expect a city that voted for Annise Parker to be a bit more "liberal" than that. From the time I've spent in Houston, it didn't feel overly conservative or evangelical, at least not compared to Oklahoma City. Maybe it's because of the oil & gas industry in Houston?
Remember, Harris County is a large county (population and area-wise), which includes not only Houston, but also many suburban areas (which amount to over half the county's population). Whatever votes came from the city get diluted by the suburban vote, percentage wise. Contrast this with Orleans Parish, or Philadelphia county, very tiny counties, area wise, which are basically synonymous/focused on the respective cities.

It seems that cities with bustling/urban cores attract the types of whites that would vote liberally and Houston, for the longest time, hasn't been focused centrally. New units built in downtown can change this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
I lived in Houston when Anise was first elected, but I can tell you she is considerably more conservative than most other big city mayors. I know much has been made about Anise being a lesbian, but she was largely silent on LGBT issues until she was safely reelected into her final term. If Houston voters were more liberal, they wouldn't have overwhelmingly rescinded the city's laws protecting their fellow LGBT citizens and visitors.
Not necessarily. She was always for LGBT rights since before she entered the mayoral field; look up her involvement with Kathy Whitmire in the 80s.

As for the HERO vote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Housto...sition_1,_2015
Quote:
Age
Range All Pct

18-30 21,998 8.2%

31-40 32,359 12.1%

41-50 39,074 14.6%

51-60 58,610 21.9%

61+ 115,755 43.2%
Quote:
Population
Proposition 1 votes: 268,872
Population of Houston, Texas: 2,054,717
Pct: 13.08%
We, thus, see how much voter turn-out/participation matters in this. The bulk of the city's population lies in the young-mid adult age group (so 20s to early 50s), yet the plurality of voters, by far, came from those over the age of 60. The elderly were very active in this election, while the young sat home and complained on Facebook.

On top of that, the demographics trended against the ordinance (White Republicans, African-Americans) turned out the most, due to the mayoral race candidates of the time (Bill King and Sylvester Turner, respectively). The Hispanic's just aren't politically active, hence the loss of Adrian Garcia.

You only get the results that reflect participation, so even though most Houstonians may not align with a certain ideology, if they stay home, while the portion that does align goes out to vote, then that ideology will come to be associated with the city, even if the population doesn't agree:
https://www.houstonpublicmedia.org/a...hts-ordinance/

Last edited by Inphosphere; 09-14-2016 at 08:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-14-2016, 08:25 PM
 
163 posts, read 106,334 times
Reputation: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I was shocked that only 23% of whites in Harris County voted for Obama. I would expect a city that voted for Annise Parker to be a bit more "liberal" than that. From the time I've spent in Houston, it didn't feel overly conservative or evangelical, at least not compared to Oklahoma City. Maybe it's because of the oil & gas industry in Houston?
The Houston metro has a smaller percentage of evangelicals than Dallas or Atlanta. Of the large southern cities, only Miami has less. This site also shows that for liberalness, the metro areas, from greatest to least, go as follows: Miami, Houston, Atlanta/Dallas
Religion in America: U.S. Religious Data, Demographics and Statistics | Pew Research Center
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2016, 03:26 PM
 
Location: Willowbend/Houston
13,403 posts, read 21,189,046 times
Reputation: 10280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inphosphere View Post
The Houston metro has a smaller percentage of evangelicals than Dallas or Atlanta. Of the large southern cities, only Miami has less. This site also shows that for liberalness, the metro areas, from greatest to least, go as follows: Miami, Houston, Atlanta/Dallas
Religion in America: U.S. Religious Data, Demographics and Statistics | Pew Research Center
Sorry, but I don't buy that at all. Youre basically saying because Houston is slightly less religious than Dallas or Atlanta, its more liberal. Rubbish. Other than that one metric, Dallas and Atlanta are more liberal by every other measurement. They both have a higher percentage of white blue voters and they have much more liberal policies.


Houston is libertarian. I don't really consider it liberal here at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2016, 05:12 PM
 
Location: The Heart of Dixie
7,816 posts, read 12,321,925 times
Reputation: 4767
1. being a sanctuary city for illegal aliens

2. ridiculous nanny state laws like those limiting transfats in foods, taxing plastic bags, banning styrofoam cups, trying to ban happy meals and super size sodas

3. having a minimum wage above the federal level, especially one above $10 an hour

4. nanny laws restricting the locations of fast food restaurants which violates the free market

5. artifiically promoting transit-oriented development vs upgrading roads and freeways

6. ridiculous gun laws that don't respect the 2nd amendment

7. removing the Confederate flag from public places, especially war memorials (limited to Southern cities)

8. having a commuter tax or congestion pricing

9. local laws allowing men in women's bathrooms

10. a city that bans Christmas displays from public buildings
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2016, 05:55 PM
 
Location: Willowbend/Houston
13,403 posts, read 21,189,046 times
Reputation: 10280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
1. being a sanctuary city for illegal aliens

2. ridiculous nanny state laws like those limiting transfats in foods, taxing plastic bags, banning styrofoam cups, trying to ban happy meals and super size sodas

3. having a minimum wage above the federal level, especially one above $10 an hour

4. nanny laws restricting the locations of fast food restaurants which violates the free market

5. artifiically promoting transit-oriented development vs upgrading roads and freeways

6. ridiculous gun laws that don't respect the 2nd amendment

7. removing the Confederate flag from public places, especially war memorials (limited to Southern cities)

8. having a commuter tax or congestion pricing

9. local laws allowing men in women's bathrooms

10. a city that bans Christmas displays from public buildings
The Confederate flag should be banned from all government owned places. Its a flag of traitors and is used to represent white race supremacy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top