U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2016, 04:07 PM

6,060 posts, read 3,384,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUMRE75 View Post
For Surfing Southern California and Hawaii would be the pinnacle in the U.S.

For swimming, boating, parasailing, jet ski, and snorkeling I would go with the Gulf or any Florida Atlantic beach. The water is calmer and much safer in terms of being too choppy from waves. CA beaches have some dangerous waves and Hawaii even more so.

Personally I prefer the beaches of Florida's Atlantic Coast over the Gulf due to the larger waves.

The biggest downside to Florida beaches has been big surge in Sharks. That's why it's best to stay in groups.
The chance of being bitten by a shark is so low, and the chance of death by one even less. I'd worry more about a jellyfish or mano-war.

One of the coolest experiences I've had at a South Florida beach was on my mom's bday (July 4th, peak shark attack season.) we were swimming in the sea when my cousin-in-law sees these black fins and points it out, to which my mom says "probably just a dolphin." My cousin-in-law sees another fin and says "That's no dolphin!" so we high tailed it out of the water. Turns out it was these two beautiful manta rays that came to the shallows. Their fins poked out when they flapped their flippers.

I've seen moray eels, different shark species, barracudas and stingrays off the shore before. The barracuda was dead, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2016, 04:49 PM

25,017 posts, read 23,916,326 times
I like smaller beach towns from the Mid-Atlantic down to Florida. All of those states have very nice beaches. I want water temperatures above 70 degrees, decent sand, small to medium waves and no hotels, amusement parks, or cities.

Long Island, New York has quite a beach culture.

*tall hotels or condos.

Old 09-12-2016, 07:04 AM

2,319 posts, read 1,854,778 times
Southwest Florida by far in my book! Beaches are wonderful and the crowds are not horrible like on the east coast. Siesta key being one of the most popular ones has amazing white sand, but again very crowded. We prefer the beaches on longboat key and Venice. We have been to most coasts in Florida and find the gulf to be the best for us. Obviously the waves are not big like the east coast but we actually prefer calmer water. Also, the region itself has some wonderful beach towns and cities with tons to offer.

Old 09-12-2016, 08:55 AM

1,586 posts, read 1,540,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Long Island, New York has quite a beach culture.
It's definitely underrated and underestimated in that regard. I happen to be there right now, in a beachfront condo building. Over the weekend I was marveling over how you can drive for dozens and dozens of miles along the South Shore and it's just endless beaches. Great ones, too.

Old 09-12-2016, 09:56 AM

5,616 posts, read 3,940,524 times
Of all the beaches Ive been to (West Coast, East Coast, Gulf Coast, etc), my personal fave was Michigan's western beaches. The dunes (especially Sleeping Bear) are just amazing, the sand is pretty soft, and its QUIET. The views along Lake Michigan are spectacular, and the parks are plenty huge where you can trapse off and enjoy a day on the sand w/o even seeing people often, which is a huge plus for me. Throw in moderate summer temps and I found it to be absolute paradise. Plus, you can go up and down the 300' tall dunes, which is an added bonus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or