U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2016, 05:52 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,359,302 times

Advertisements

Georgia is usually high on the list of business friendly states. Many relocations and expansions over the past 3 years or so. I'd rank it second in the South after Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2016, 06:06 AM

1,709 posts, read 1,674,850 times
I think Georgia and Temnessee generally fit the bill. I would also say North Carolina but that recent controversy with the bathrooms gives me second thoughts-a lot of businesses didn't like that. I would also nominate Michigan as a sleeper pick

Old 09-11-2016, 07:25 AM

4,633 posts, read 2,783,657 times
Delaware

No sales tax too which is nice

Old 09-11-2016, 11:12 AM

2,549 posts, read 1,639,165 times
Nevada is very business friendly, no income or business tax. Northern Nevada is in the upswing of high tech companies relocated to the area.

Old 09-11-2016, 11:42 AM

13,420 posts, read 16,962,854 times
Georgia consistently ranks at or near the top, depending on what ranking you go by:

https://gov.georgia.gov/press-releas...te-us-business

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/m...ness-down.html

CNBC ranks Georgia No. 1 state in U.S. for business

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/m...iness-all.html

Old 09-11-2016, 12:31 PM

605 posts, read 467,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Franz View Post
Not Illinois.
Illinois has been known to give incentives to companies such as Boeing and MillerCoors to relocate their headquarters there.

Chicago, Offering Big Incentives, Will Be Boeing's New Home - NYTimes.com

https://web.archive.org/web/20080716...508web.article

Despite the current fiscal crisis I would probably rank Illinois ahead of other states such as California, New York, or Maryland as far as being friendly to business is concerned.

Old 09-11-2016, 01:49 PM

2,233 posts, read 1,512,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Well something is driving economic growth in GA and SC if one has seen what is occurring in places like Metro Atlanta, Charleston SC, Columbia SC and Greenville-Spartanburg SC which does not involve part-time service sector jobs, which is largely what's driving Florida's economy.
Part time service sector jobs are driving all three of those states. Part time service sector jobs have been a much bigger driver of growth nationwide in this current expansion relative to past economic cycles.

I forgot my link. Here is the data for each state. You click on the little graph picture and you can see what each industry sector has performed going back to 1990.

Georgia Economy at a Glance

Old 09-11-2016, 01:55 PM

/Thread

2016 State Business Tax Climate Index | Tax Foundation

This website is fantastic. Gives and overall rating and even gives ratings to five different aspects of business taxation. I think I saw this years ago and I saw NC and Georgia actually scoring very badly in business climate, yet public perception was that they were good places to do business. Then I remember NC doing some reforms a few years ago and now it is scoring much better in business climate.

Florida is soooo good to do business in. Donald Trump even said so. But our state can have very low taxes because we have massive tourism coffers to get revenue from.

Old 09-11-2016, 02:03 PM

2016 State Business Tax Climate Index | Tax Foundation

But certain taxes might be better for some business than others. Georgia scores well in corporate tax climate but is terrible in everything else. Arizona has very good property taxes, so a business that requires a lot of land might consider there. Delaware is number one in sales tax.

Texas is honestly not that great to do business in. It's corporate tax rate is insane. That states one saving grace is its lack of income tax.

Ideally the the company headquarters should be North Carolina or Georgia but all the executives should have a primary residence in Florida. But if the executives want the headquarters to be in Florida then they won't get taxed too much more.

Old 09-11-2016, 06:55 PM

345 posts, read 336,237 times
Tennessee is pretty good. So is Georgia and North Carolina. Also Florida. Basically the whole south
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or