U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-11-2016, 07:20 PM
 
Location: Savannah GA
13,422 posts, read 16,981,227 times
Reputation: 9513

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by happiness-is-close View Post

florida is soooo good to do business in. Donald trump even said so.
rofl!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-11-2016, 07:57 PM
 
1,615 posts, read 1,063,548 times
Reputation: 587
South Carolina and north Carolina
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2016, 02:38 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
5,300 posts, read 3,517,264 times
Reputation: 4494
This was just announced today:
http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/n...-it-hubto.html

Georgia & Atlanta must be doing something right, as these announcements have become more and more common lately:
http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/n...o-atlanta.html

And it's not just about tax breaks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2016, 03:09 PM
 
1,851 posts, read 1,480,903 times
Reputation: 1283
Just because a place has low taxes and little to no regulatory oversight doesn't mean it's automatically great for business. While these types of environments are attractive, at the end of the day you need qualified people to work for you. The "best states for business" also happen to be among the least educated...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2016, 03:25 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
5,300 posts, read 3,517,264 times
Reputation: 4494
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
Just because a place has low taxes and little to no regulatory oversight doesn't mean it's automatically great for business. While these types of environments are attractive, at the end of the day you need qualified people to work for you. The "best states for business" also happen to be among the least educated...
And you know that any of this applies to Atlanta how?

Guess again in regards to 'little to no regulatory oversight' and 'among the least educated.'

This is quote from GE CIO Jim Fowler in the Atlanta Business Chronicle piece regarding GE moving their IT Headquarters here:

"Atlanta was picked for the North American HQ because of the quality and cost of talent in the area.
More than 130 Tier 1 CIOs are located in Atlanta (and) they come here for a reason," Fowler said. "Atlanta is a place where talent wants to live. The quality and the cost of talent can't be beaten anywhere else."


Try again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2016, 03:40 PM
 
1,851 posts, read 1,480,903 times
Reputation: 1283
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
And you know that any of this applies to Atlanta how?

Guess again in regards to 'little to no regulatory oversight' and 'among the least educated.'

This is quote from GE CIO Jim Fowler in the Atlanta Business Chronicle piece regarding GE moving their IT Headquarters here:

"Atlanta was picked for the North American HQ because of the quality and cost of talent in the area.
More than 130 Tier 1 CIOs are located in Atlanta (and) they come here for a reason," Fowler said. "Atlanta is a place where talent wants to live. The quality and the cost of talent can't be beaten anywhere else."


Try again.
I didn't once mention ATL

ATL (GA) does lag behind NY, CA, IL, NJ, CT, PA, and several others regarding educational attainment though...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2016, 03:52 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
2,897 posts, read 4,362,122 times
Reputation: 2200
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
I didn't once mention ATL

ATL (GA) does lag behind NY, CA, IL, NJ, CT, PA, and several others regarding educational attainment though...
Maybe so overall, but the educated human capital flowing out of Georgia Tech is a prime reason many of these technology related companies are choosing Atlanta for significant operations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2016, 04:35 PM
 
6,234 posts, read 6,385,177 times
Reputation: 2866
What metros in Florida, Georgia and Tennessee are doing real well? Is it the usual South Florida, ATL, Memphis?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2016, 04:37 PM
 
6,234 posts, read 6,385,177 times
Reputation: 2866
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
I didn't once mention ATL

ATL (GA) does lag behind NY, CA, IL, NJ, CT, PA, and several others regarding educational attainment though...
Mostly that has to do with the wealth of those states. Wealthy areas usually have higher education attainment but also high taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2016, 05:06 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
5,300 posts, read 3,517,264 times
Reputation: 4494
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
What metros in Florida, Georgia and Tennessee are doing real well? Is it the usual South Florida, ATL, Memphis?
Southeast Florida is pretty short on white collar and IT jobs. Orlando & Tampa seem to do better, overall.

For Tennessee, a big no to Memphis - Nashville is booming, however.

Atlanta is on fire right now, as we were late to recover from the recession.

Charlotte & Raleigh/Durham are doing very well in NC, as are Charleston & Upstate SC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top