U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 05:20 PM

56,994 posts, read 81,365,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Mostly that has to do with the wealth of those states. Wealthy areas usually have higher education attainment but also high taxes.
Taxes are kind of tied to education, as some states actually required a Masters degree in order to teach. In turn, a large percentage of property taxes are the school taxes. Much of that goes to pay those teachers and staff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2016, 10:46 PM

1,042 posts, read 1,451,773 times
Quote:
Besides Texas, what is another state that is good for business? I mean of course the approach, and dealings with government with that state. What state government has created a very friendly atmosphere in their state?

I keep hearing about Texas. Houston is the fastest growing city. I have been there it is nice. Texas has oil and farming, and a coastline, everyone has a gun. And that the taxes are low for businesses or none existent, I dont remember.

Which other states are like this? Good for business and trying to attract businesses from outside. I hear NY State has been trying to do some stuff. I am in NYC, and I always see advertisements about how NY State is trying to attract tech industry. I dont know if it is is a rouse or not.
Actually, most people in Texas do not have a gun. Most are against open carry, which just became law in January. Most are against campus carry, which just now became law in August. The problem is that we have politicians who have been shoving their extremist agenda down our throats. Why do we have such politicians? Because people haven't been getting off their butts and voting. That is changing, and people here have had enough of right wing extremism. We're becoming a purple state and will become blue within a decade largely due to changes in demographics. Austin, Houston, and Dallas already vote blue for the most part.

I do like the business friendly atmosphere here. It was even that way when Democrats ruled (up until about 20 years ago). It will stay that way. The downside is that business takes priority over everything. Low revenues due to low taxes mean poor education, poor health care, and extreme poverty all across the state (next to extreme wealth). Also, there's little environmental protection and a low priority on cleanliness. At one time we had the "Don't Mess with Texas" campaign which resulted in the most beautiful and clean highways in the country. Now, our highways are a mess. Litter rarely gets cleaned up.

Old 09-13-2016, 11:02 AM

2,233 posts, read 1,521,944 times
Quote:
What metros in Florida, Georgia and Tennessee are doing real well? Is it the usual South Florida, ATL, Memphis?
All of those states have U6 unemployment higher than national average.

Old 09-13-2016, 06:29 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,204,148 times
Quote:
Does Texas not have a tax for businesses or something? What other states have a very business friendly tax structure especially for small business?
It's definitely GA (The 2015 Business Climate Ranking || Site Selection Online) and (Georgia is CNBC).

Old 09-13-2016, 07:49 PM

4,856 posts, read 9,021,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherguy View Post
Because people haven't been getting off their butts and voting. That is changing, and people here have had enough of right wing extremism. We're becoming a purple state and will become blue within a decade largely due to changes in demographics. Austin, Houston, and Dallas already vote blue for the most part.
Actually it's all due to strategic gerrymandering, which is useless in a wave election. But the rural areas have a disproportionate voice in state politics. There is even a law that requires the state to maintain the same level of attentiveness on road service in rural areas as it does in urban areas. Sometimes it means that urban areas get the shaft because the rural areas get first priority, even if it means pothole ridden (nominally) state highways in the cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or