Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 08:32 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,004,537 times

Advertisements

I find it interesting that so many claim this...

Although situated in a Southern state, Louisville is influenced by both Midwestern and Southern culture, and is commonly referred to as either the northernmost Southern city or the southernmost Northern city in the United States

Baltimore is the northernmost southern city and the southernmost northern city Washington Excursions

Baltimore has quite properly been dubbed “the northernmost southern city and southernmost northern city” in honor of its characteristic (and endearing) sense of cultural confusion. cruisereport.com/PortsOfCall.aspx?Id=1054

Given Baltimore’s status as the northernmost Southern city and its longtime role as urban flypaper for expat West Virginians Holiday Guide Feature 2005: Holiday Guide

It has been aptly remarked that Cincinnati is the "northernmost southern city and the southernmost northern city."www.galenfrysinger.com/cincinnati.htm
Straddling the Mason-Dixon Line, Cincinnati is the southern-most northern city and the northernmost southern city in America, representing and enjoying the sensibilities, attributes and cultures of ... cincinnati.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/stories/2007/04/23/editorial1.html

about Indianapolis ................Described by cultural historians as the northernmost southern city in America.... Suck.com: Daily

Even : INTERESTING THINGS ABOUT YORK,PA York county has always been the Northernmost Southern city! members.tripod.com/~BriscoeTenMen/york.html

I grew up in and around St. Louis, which was then referred to as the northernmost southern city. The Washington Monthly

( during an interview with Dick Clark) CLARK: Very first guest was Dizzy Gillespie. And we almost had black guests, but it was -- Philadelphia in those days was the northernmost Southern city in the country, and it was highly segregated. CNN.com - Transcripts

West Virginia can be noted as the southernmost Northeastern state, the northernmost Southeastern state, the easternmost Midwestern state as well as the westernmost Eastern state West Virginia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2007, 12:31 PM

No one has any thoughts?

Old 06-22-2007, 02:41 PM

301 posts, read 1,368,291 times
There is sort of light a chain of cities on the North and South end of the Mason Dixon which takes this title. I once even herad that title for the state of West Virginia.

Old 06-22-2007, 02:52 PM

slugger I looked for the WVA one (which is what got me started) and didn't find it. It's supposed to be a city there that uses that. Either way... can they all be the Northernmost Southern city? Can't only one claim that?

Old 06-22-2007, 03:36 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,340,378 times
Louisville is a Southern city. THe Washington Monthly needs to rethink St. Louis as the Northernmost Southern city because frankly I have to chuckle at that. I will be damned if either St. Louis or Cincinnati are Southern. they are Midwestern to the core. Louisville is not Midwestern. The West Virginia argument is probably the best one I can think of. Charleston, WV to me is the Northernmost Southern city and Southernmost Northern city. the other ones mentioned fit only one of those definitions. Baltimore is definitely more of a Northern city these days, as are Cincy and STL.

Old 06-22-2007, 03:53 PM

ok, This was on the Charleston, WV wikipedia site.....Nickname: "Home of Hospitality", " The most northern city of the South and the most southern city of the North", "Chemicalville", "The Capitol City" "Chucktown" "Charly West"

Old 06-22-2007, 08:09 PM

2,567 posts, read 5,282,909 times
Some of the little towns in southern Indiana and (to a lesser extent) southern Ohio are very, very Southern, despite being geographically in the Midwest.

Old 06-22-2007, 08:20 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,340,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quijote View Post
Some of the little towns in southern Indiana and (to a lesser extent) southern Ohio are very, very Southern, despite being geographically in the Midwest.
Same with Southern Missouri.

Old 06-22-2007, 08:54 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,202,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quijote View Post
In what way? I have been to Evansville, where some people speak with a southern accent, but Indiana is still a northern state.

Old 06-22-2007, 09:14 PM

10,114 posts, read 15,782,416 times
I'm from Maryland and the lines are blurring so much. We used to be clearly southern but thanks to all the transplants from New York and New Jersey we're practically Northern now, especially around DC and to a certain extent Baltimore. Also Baltimore physically looks more like a northern city with its depressing brick buildings, tenements, gray masonry, etc. Absolutely nothing of the grand plantations or the stylish architecture you see in Savannah, New Orleans, or Charleston.

There are some who say even Raleigh and Richmond are more northern than southern now culturally, not to mention Miami and Tampa. I would say the southernmost northern city is Miami lol!!

I consider St. Louis and Kansas City to be Midwestern though others claim they are southern. I've also heard Oklahoma City and Tulsa described as both southern and midwestern, and Dallas-Fort Worth as both southern and Southwestern. I would say Indianapolis is the Midwest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.