Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 01:02 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,596,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North 42 View Post
There are lots of palm trees in Dallas that aren't protected, huge ones that are much higher than the roofs of the houses, quite a few different kinds as well.
Question is where are they? If they aren't lining streets/highways or business properties, they don't really count in the sense we're talking here. Just like with say citrus in South Carolina, maybe a couple people grow an orange tree in their back yard, but it's not being done on the commercial scale due to winter cold
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2016, 01:12 PM

1,803 posts, read 2,226,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Question is where are they? If they aren't lining streets/highways or business properties, they don't really count in the sense we're talking here. Just like with say citrus in South Carolina, maybe a couple people grow an orange tree in their back yard, but it's not being done on the commercial scale due to winter cold
My husband was there for the first time a couple of months ago and was shocked by all the palm trees he saw. So I'm assuming they're not hard to find.

A quick Google search shows lots of palms in Dallas, both residential and commercial plantings.

Old 09-13-2016, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North 42 View Post
My husband was there for the first time a couple of months ago and was shocked by all the palm trees he saw. So I'm assuming they're not hard to find.

A quick Google search shows lots of palms in Dallas, both residential and commercial plantings.
I'm just saying I was in the Metroplex back in July, and I didn't see a single one

Old 09-13-2016, 11:05 PM

1,162 posts, read 1,884,730 times
Quote:
I've never seen a palm tree in Dallas, the only ones there must be in people's back yards where they protect them in the winter; I have seen palms in San Antonio though, especially downtown
I agree...not many in Dallas. Dallas looks very midwestern, like Omaha or Des Moines regarding vegetation, whereas places like Houston look very tropical south of the pine forest demarcation that runs through the city.

Just saw the post from someone who has seen many in Dallas. It may be that you and I have missed them. I find that many of us who visit cities tend to miss a great deal.

Old 09-13-2016, 11:13 PM

163 posts, read 165,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherguy View Post
I agree...not many in Dallas. Dallas looks very midwestern, like Omaha or Des Moines regarding vegetation, whereas places like Houston look very tropical south of the pine forest demarcation that runs through the city.

Just saw the post from someone who has seen many in Dallas. It may be that you and I have missed them. I find that many of us who visit cities tend to miss a great deal.
Dallas vegetation isn't Midwestern at all; lots of Southern US influences in the flora.

Subtropical evergreen vegetation (whether in form of pines or broad-leaves) is quite tropical-looking, and evokes such ethos, even if the plants themselves can take cold temps. Evergreen live oaks with spanish moss really make the landscape of Houston look alive in winter.

Old 09-14-2016, 03:03 AM

448 posts, read 591,881 times
I dont remember seeing a palm last time i was in Dallas but you will see plenty in Austin and even more in San Antonio. They are everywhere, from yards, to business landscaping and just on the side of highways. You can probably see a palm on any street on SA.

Old 09-14-2016, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inphosphere View Post
Dallas vegetation isn't Midwestern at all; lots of Southern US influences in the flora.

Subtropical evergreen vegetation (whether in form of pines or broad-leaves) is quite tropical-looking, and evokes such ethos, even if the plants themselves can take cold temps. Evergreen live oaks with spanish moss really make the landscape of Houston look alive in winter.
Looks like YnOhTnA/cold epoch troll is back

Old 09-14-2016, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibbidy View Post
I dont remember seeing a palm last time i was in Dallas but you will see plenty in Austin and even more in San Antonio. They are everywhere, from yards, to business landscaping and just on the side of highways. You can probably see a palm on any street on SA.
Same thing I said, never been to Austin, but heard that the big freeze in 89 wiped out a bunch of theirs, they prob still have some though. They are a hardiness zone lower than San Antonio (8B vs 9A)

Old 09-14-2016, 06:36 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,226,750 times
http://www.dallasnews.com/lifestyles...-in-dallas.ece

http://www.dmagazine.com/publication...ed-palm-trees/

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index....w-in-dallastx/

Last edited by North 42; 09-14-2016 at 06:45 AM..

Old 09-14-2016, 07:23 PM

3,314 posts, read 2,215,404 times
Quote:
Looks like YnOhTnA/cold epoch troll is back
Its very obvious
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.