U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2016, 06:14 AM

48 posts, read 32,703 times

Advertisements

I am a person who wants to move to a small house in a rather rural area not far from a big city.

I want to grow my own vegetables, perhaps open a little farm (ostrich farm maybe?). Work there and just produce organic stuff, organic jams, cater to a small public who likes organic food items.

Live peacefully, without craziness, Facebook/twitter/instagram, consume, shopping mall and political correctness..... none of this modern American BS we have to deal with so much nowadays!!

I just don't want to live in the middle of nowhere. I would like to be 2/3 hours away from a big city. (no suburbias I can't stand them), rather picturesque rural place.

It's that possible?

I mean can you live say three hours away in upstate NYC, own a little land and grow food/organic stuff there and live peacefully or is it too expensive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2016, 06:35 AM

13,219 posts, read 17,758,482 times
Everything is possible. As long as you are financially independent your hobby farm can be fun. Have you ever been around ostriches or farmed for resale crop?

Old 09-11-2016, 07:32 AM

3,144 posts, read 2,824,419 times
Farming is expensive no matter where you live. Organic, natural, etc. doesn't matter. It costs a lot to farm.

If you want a vegetable garden on the side, then yes, NY is a pretty awesome place.

Old 09-12-2016, 02:58 PM

15,504 posts, read 17,716,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleff89 View Post

I want to grow my own vegetables, perhaps open a little farm (ostrich farm maybe?). Work there and just produce organic stuff, organic jams, cater to a small public who likes organic food items.

Live peacefully, without craziness, Facebook/twitter/instagram,
If you want a farm/small enterprise like you describe, Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram will be the bread and butter of your marketing. When you are not in the field, you will be drumming up customers and connecting on those platforms.

Organic jam and ostrich burgers don't sell themselves.

Old 09-12-2016, 03:02 PM

29,871 posts, read 27,324,185 times
It's pretty easy to find rural areas 2-3 hours away from a large city. For instance, there are large swaths of south Jersey that are rural and agricultural, yet not even an hour away from Philadelphia.

Old 09-12-2016, 03:03 PM

4,796 posts, read 3,225,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
If you want a farm/small enterprise like you describe, Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram will be the bread and butter of your marketing. When you are not in the field, you will be drumming up customers and connecting on those platforms.

Organic jam and ostrich burgers don't sell themselves.
Exactly. You're main customer base will be hipsters and other young professional/yuppies who get all of their information from social media. You'll probably need a Pinterest account too. And you'll probably need to drive that 3 hours into the closest city every weekend to set up at the local farmer's markets to sell your jams.

Old 09-14-2016, 01:39 PM

21,180 posts, read 30,336,326 times
Quote:
I am a person who wants to move to a small house in a rather rural area not far from a big city.

Live peacefully, without craziness, Facebook/twitter/instagram, consume, shopping mall and political correctness..... none of this modern American BS we have to deal with so much nowadays!!

I just don't want to live in the middle of nowhere. I would like to be 2/3 hours away from a big city. (no suburbias I can't stand them), rather picturesque rural place.

It's that possible?

I mean can you live say three hours away in upstate NYC, own a little land and grow food/organic stuff there and live peacefully or is it too expensive?
I wouldn't necessarily choose a place like upstate NY which has a very limited growing season and your distance from NYC would necessitate having everything packed and ready to head to market by 3:30-4 AM. A state like North Carolina would be my recommendation as you can live an hour from places where locally produced/organic items are in demand and not saturated with others doing the same. Chapel Hill, Carrboro and Durham are three such cities and areas like Alamance County and Chatham County to the west and south of them respectively offer fairly inexpensive homes and fertile farming land with much longer growing seasons. Despite your probable preconception even those rural areas are surprisingly progressive and have a fair number of folks like yourself who wanted out of the rat race to either pursue similar interests, work/create as artists or commute to the bigger cities.

Old 09-14-2016, 05:16 PM

56,500 posts, read 80,803,243 times
Quote:

It's that possible?

You could, but it will depend on what you are looking to sell. Places in the Hudson Valley or select areas in the Catskills could possibly work.

3 hours could put you as far Upstate as around say outside of Binghamton or north of Albany, give or take.

I do know of an Alpaca farm south of Syracuse. So, there are potential examples.

Old 09-14-2016, 05:48 PM

8,452 posts, read 11,424,886 times
Maybe consider communal living:

http://thefarmcommunity.com

Old 09-14-2016, 06:26 PM

56,500 posts, read 80,803,243 times
If you want community living in Upstate NY, then you may be interested in this: Ecovillage at Ithaca | Website for Ecovillage at Ithaca and its educational non-profit Learn@EcovillageIthaca

Another community village nearby: White Hawk Ecovillage Village living in an affordable, family-friendly community focused on self-sufficiency and sustainability. Learn More >

More here: https://www.nofany.org

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 09-14-2016 at 06:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or