U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2016, 03:21 PM

6,053 posts, read 3,379,100 times

Advertisements

Be in a rock band.

Old 09-11-2016, 04:27 PM

8,946 posts, read 4,099,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrentzer View Post
I never got why people said the tight-knit friendships part is so easy in college.

Back at my university, your entire self-worth was dictated by what sport you played and what fraternity you were in. If you were not in the right house, you were rarely if ever invited to the parties or allowed to hang out with certain people. You could make friends outside of Greek Life but those were usually very religious kids who looked down on the partying and drinking lifestyle.

My university had a very exclusive and status oriented social structure to where making friends was hard unless you were a somebody, somebody meaning a football star or a frat bro. Outside of that, it was very very tough to really find your groove there.
I definitely hear what you are saying. Not all colleges are the same in this aspect. If you went to a smaller school or a commuter school where most people did not live on campus, then making friends may have been extremely difficult. If you went to a sizable university with a diverse student population, then most people should have been able to find their niche.

Old 09-11-2016, 04:32 PM

8,946 posts, read 4,099,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee2 View Post
College has passed, you will never get the chance to hang out in a frat again. Trust me, it makes me sad too, because college was an amazing time for me. But no point being the 30 year old trying to hang with college students. Just figure out your own feelings, go to therapy if you have to. Because people are going to sense that chip from a mile away and not want to be around someone who only wants to hang with them because they have something to prove. Just my opinion.
This is true. Plus, when you are 30 and try to hang out with 20 year olds, you will immediately feel somewhat awkward because of the maturity difference. You may not feel like you are that far removed from college, but people mature a lot between age 20 and 25.

However, I don't think this is what the OP is asking for. He isn't wanting to necessarily re-live college, but is wanting to live somewhere that its not uncommon for people in their 30s to be active and social. In a lot of places, most people in their 30s are married, raising kids, and living in suburbia and he is wanting somewhere where that isn't the case.

Old 09-11-2016, 05:20 PM

1,676 posts, read 741,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
New Orleans and LA are good choices too.
I echo this sentiment

Old 09-11-2016, 05:32 PM

2,321 posts, read 3,000,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrentzer View Post
At what age did the hangovers start getting really bad for you? I didn't get to get wasted back in my college days at all due to some circumstances concerning money and a difficult major, just want to experience a night like that with a lot of good friends for once in my life.
All depends on how much you drink! Really in my mid 40's. I slowed down when I bought a house but still do it up good every now and then.

Old 09-11-2016, 07:15 PM

473 posts, read 358,439 times
If you live in a big city, you'll find many, many people in their 30s who are single and enjoy going out and socializing with their friends. Compared to the college lifestyle, your night will probably start a lot earlier, include top-shelf or craft drinks in a more upscale setting and end earlier as well. Instead of drinking Beast and grinding on a dance floor, your night will probably include a cool restaurant or a bar that lends itself to conversation.

You may have fewer friends but those friendships will probably be more sincere. And a good chunk of your socializing might well be with your coworkers or clients (depending on your industry).

So, yes, it's totally possible to have an active social life in your 30s. It will look different from college (because you are different!) but you'll enjoy yourself nonetheless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or