U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2016, 09:58 AM

2 posts, read 2,128 times

Advertisements

How difficult would it be for a 30 something guy in the USA who is not married, in great shape, and extroverted to have the kind of social life that rivals that of a college kid with similar traits?

I see pics and videos of what all of the kids in Greek Life are doing and I wonder what would be the 30 something version of that and how difficult it would be for a 30 something to rival those kids in regards to friends, partying, and social life.

Old 09-11-2016, 10:06 AM

14,151 posts, read 19,771,019 times
You will be called immature for the most part. You might get away with it in New York and Miami but outside of that it will bring a negative stigma.

Old 09-11-2016, 10:09 AM

6,235 posts, read 5,905,458 times
You could become an Olympic swimmer!

Old 09-11-2016, 10:16 AM

231 posts, read 154,957 times
Hmmm. To be honest, i don't think it would be all that hard. A couple of years ago, when I was 26, I was going out nearly every night. Certainly Wednesday through Saturday at the very least, and brunching on Sundays- that was the regular schedule. I actually had to move towns because I think that temptation is very hard to pass up, and I wanted to get out of the lifestyle.

It just involves finding a friend group that enjoys going out a lot. Since most 30 somethings are kind of over the party scene, you'd probably have to have a mix of younger friends in there.

But there are plenty of people who go out to nightclubs on a daily basis (some of those people make their income from this by doing party promoting) or somewhat less often.

For me though, I felt like my life was kind of devoid of meaning and too focused on "Where am I going out tonight?" Also there's the effect on your body. Staying out drinking till 3 am and trying to go to work the next day is fine and easy when you're 20, but a lot harder when you're 25, and probably awful when you're 30.

But if you REALLY wanted to achieve this, just try to make friends with the group that goes out a lot- they exist in most cities. They can be cliquey sometimes, but in my experience once you have an in, most are pretty welcoming. Then you get to the point where you are just turning down invitations left and right because they come in at such a rapid pace.

Old 09-11-2016, 10:25 AM

14,151 posts, read 19,771,019 times
New Orleans and LA are good choices too.

Old 09-11-2016, 10:31 AM

2,321 posts, read 3,006,870 times
Only as difficult as you make it out to be. I lived through my 30's and early 40's like that and still make it out at least once a month. The hangovers hurt a lot more now and I am smarter and relize how much money I was spending as well so cut it back considerably.

Collage kids usually don't have the funds that you do once more established and older so my years from 30 to 45 were much better then when I was younger.

Spent a good part of those years in Costa Rica so plenty of fun could be had. Collage kids have nothing on us older ones!!!

Old 09-11-2016, 10:56 AM

9,034 posts, read 4,123,391 times
Going out a lot is not that difficult. Developing the tight-knit friendships like what you had in college is a lot more difficult, simply because most people have responsibilities and families in their 30s and people are also less open to new friends. It's hard to live a party lifestyle and stay employed. That doesn't mean you can't have any fun though.

Old 09-11-2016, 02:01 PM

231 posts, read 154,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrentzer View Post
I never got why people said the tight-knit friendships part is so easy in college.

Back at my university, your entire self-worth was dictated by what sport you played and what fraternity you were in. If you were not in the right house, you were rarely if ever invited to the parties or allowed to hang out with certain people. You could make friends outside of Greek Life but those were usually very religious kids who looked down on the partying and drinking lifestyle.

My university had a very exclusive and status oriented social structure to where making friends was hard unless you were a somebody, somebody meaning a football star or a frat bro. Outside of that, it was very very tough to really find your groove there.
Huh. I wasn't in a sorority in college but I had no issues with being invited to parties and going out every night.

It honestly sounds to me like you have a chip on your shoulder, or you're trying to prove something. That's better figured out on your own. College has passed, you will never get the chance to hang out in a frat again. Trust me, it makes me sad too, because college was an amazing time for me. But no point being the 30 year old trying to hang with college students. Just figure out your own feelings, go to therapy if you have to. Because people are going to sense that chip from a mile away and not want to be around someone who only wants to hang with them because they have something to prove. Just my opinion.

Old 09-11-2016, 02:20 PM

23,592 posts, read 17,582,380 times
Hang out in college or yuppie neighborhoods in major cities like Boston or Chicago.

Old 09-11-2016, 03:02 PM

4,268 posts, read 6,351,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee2 View Post
Huh. I wasn't in a sorority in college but I had no issues with being invited to parties and going out every night.

It honestly sounds to me like you have a chip on your shoulder, or you're trying to prove something. That's better figured out on your own. College has passed, you will never get the chance to hang out in a frat again. Trust me, it makes me sad too, because college was an amazing time for me. But no point being the 30 year old trying to hang with college students. Just figure out your own feelings, go to therapy if you have to. Because people are going to sense that chip from a mile away and not want to be around someone who only wants to hang with them because they have something to prove. Just my opinion.
^^My opinion too. Act your age. In the long run you'll be better off. And there are plenty of places everywhere for 30-somethings to party a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or