U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2016, 11:01 AM

13 posts, read 8,710 times

Advertisements

I am looking to transition into a new career, in what field, I don't know. I have a statistical background and have worked as a financial and product analyst, but have never loved any sort of work I've done. I've come to accept that I will never aspire to make $150k as a director and put in 12 hour days. I just want a 40 hour work week that comes with a $50-$70k paycheck.

With that said, I need to get out of CA and move to any of the trillions of locations in the country that have homes for 100-250, four seasons, the pace of living isn't as fast, and I can generally just enjoy my free time as opposed to sitting in traffic, making excuses to not go outside and run at 8 PM because it's still 95, and consider settling down and raising a family.

I have done searches in places like Idaho, Montana, Virginia, Utah, but everything seems to be centralized around all the big cities. Boise, Helena, Richmond, Salt Lake City ... I mean, other people live in the state, right? Where are all the jobs? Texas has lots of jobs in lots of areas, but I'd probably scorch to death and then hate the property taxes and wonder why I left CA to move to the same type of state.

I have lived in CA my entire life and imagine there's probably some culture / weather shock when leaving. I was in Chicago last year on a windy February day and was miserable. But, I've been to Tahoe when it's 25 out and other than being cold I loved it. Highs of 85 and lows of 40 would be awesome, if that's even possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2016, 11:17 AM

2,549 posts, read 1,642,928 times
Northern Nevada has weather you like. Traffic is light. You can find cheap home in more rural area like Minden/Gardnerville or Carson City. Not sure what job you can find in these areas.

Texas has miserable summer weather and the Midwest has miserable winter weather.

Old 09-11-2016, 01:56 PM

1,567 posts, read 748,656 times
I was raised in California and have no regrets about moving elsewhere as an adult. Depending on where you are coming from in the state, even the larger metropolitan areas elsewhere can be slower paced and more affordable by comparison. On the other hand, being able to count on 40 hour work weeks likely depends more on the specific job than the location - just because an area is less stressful outside the workplace doesn't imply the work environment itself is any less demanding.

Do you want typical summer highs of 85, and winter lows of 40? Just about anywhere in the continental US outside California is going to have a wider annual range. If 40 is the desired winter highs, then there are a lot more options. Also keep in mind that anywhere east of the Rockies is going to have significantly more summer humidity. I don't mind it for a few months, but it would be an undesirable adjustment for many Westerners.

I would suggest starting with areas that have strong job growth and low unemployment (Unemployment Rates for Metropolitan Areas), and then seeing if the climate and other attributes of those areas appeal to you. Good luck.

Old 09-11-2016, 02:09 PM

1,775 posts, read 2,514,573 times
Colorado might work. Seems like a climate you'd like. It's also seems to be doing well economically. Denver has a lot of single adults, most being transplants. You'd also be relatively close to California in case you wanted to visit family and friends regularly.

I wouldn't worry too much about cost of living. Somethings are more expensive in some states while other things are cheaper. Some states pay more than others. In a big city you'd be paying a lot for rent, but you wouldn't need a car and there's often more free stuff (like festivals and parks). I think it all balances out. I've lived in both urban and rural areas from coast to coast, and my quality of life has remained pretty consistent across the board.

While I'm grateful for all the experiences I've gained and the knowledge I've earned from living in so many places, I now realize that I was trying to run away from myself. Just saying.

Old 09-11-2016, 02:18 PM

23,614 posts, read 17,589,896 times
East TN, western NC, and southwest VA offer low traffic and a moderate four seasons, without the extreme winter or summer of more continental locations, especially in the mountains. The challenge in smaller metros is finding a job.

Old 09-12-2016, 08:58 AM

1,428 posts, read 2,097,752 times
Don't forget, not all cities are the same. City of Richmond Va still has what you are looking for. As do SLC and Boise etc.

The california model of urban development doesn't represent everywhere else.

Old 09-12-2016, 11:58 AM

8,452 posts, read 11,451,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC14 View Post
I have done searches in places like Idaho, Montana, Virginia, Utah, but everything seems to be centralized around all the big cities. Boise, Helena, Richmond, Salt Lake City ... I mean, other people live in the state, right? Where are all the jobs?
People have moved to the big cities in the US for jobs for about 150 years now. Don't think that's going to change, unless you want to be a farmer.

Old 09-12-2016, 12:19 PM

13,270 posts, read 17,794,424 times
You are not likely finding a 70k job with a 40 hr punch clock in small town slow town USA with perfect weather conditions.

Old 09-12-2016, 02:07 PM

21,200 posts, read 30,396,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC14 View Post
I am looking to transition into a new career, in what field, I don't know. I have a statistical background and have worked as a financial and product analyst, but have never loved any sort of work I've done. I've come to accept that I will never aspire to make $150k as a director and put in 12 hour days. I just want a 40 hour work week that comes with a $50-$70k paycheck.

With that said, I need to get out of CA and move to any of the trillions of locations in the country that have homes for 100-250, four seasons, the pace of living isn't as fast, and I can generally just enjoy my free time as opposed to sitting in traffic, making excuses to not go outside and run at 8 PM because it's still 95, and consider settling down and raising a family.
Thriving cities like Atlanta, Raleigh-Durham, Charlotte, Nashville, Cincinnati and Richmond would all fit that criteria with a fairly equal four season climate and are large enough most likely to accommodate a reasonable job search with some decent options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or