U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2016, 11:23 PM

2 posts, read 6,665 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I am making a film that has that Halloween 1970s type of vibe to it. I would even take a Goonies or E.T. vibe. While I have no problem bringing in wardrobe, cars, set dressings, etc. I would LOVE to shoot in a town that seems rather "untouched." I visited a town outside Peoria, IL not too long ago that seemed similar to what I am looking for, but I would love more options!!!

Does anyone have any ideas???

I read somewhere else on the forum, someone suggesting Preston, Idaho from Napoleon Dynamite, but I feel as though traveling to Idaho might be a bit "much" for the budget. Plus I would rather go to a state I am familiar/somewhat familiar with. I'm looking around the NY, NJ, PA, OH, IN, IL area? Possibly further away, if the town is worth it!

Thanks in advance,
Amanda
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2016, 11:59 PM

1,669 posts, read 2,037,733 times
Fairborn, Ohio - (I'm referring to the traditional town proper, not the university area on the edge of town that sprouted up 30 years ago.). Lived there as a kid in the early '80's. Not much has changed (for the positive anyway): the small downtown still has several of the same businesses, including a five and dime novelty/candy store (Foy's, which actually has expanded with an adjoining diner/grill and a Halloween store across the street). Although Fairborn has a lot of land area with a multitude of neighborhoods (that still look like they did 30 years ago), most of the shopping centers in town are high vacancy/empty because almost all of the economic activity shifted to the Wright State University/interstate bypass area heading out of town. Might be easy and cheap to temporarily rent a vacant store or warehouse to shoot interiors.

If you're looking for lots of activity or hills in your locale, you may want to keep looking. Fairborn proper doesn't have much of either. I just marvel when I go back every few years how it all just stays the same, though business activity shifted dramatically. Except for Foy's. That's actually gotten better, and you'd be lucky if they let you film inside their store or grill; plus you could use them for costuming needs if you had to.

Old 09-12-2016, 12:21 AM

2 posts, read 6,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
Fairborn, Ohio - (I'm referring to the traditional town proper, not the university area on the edge of town that sprouted up 30 years ago.). Lived there as a kid in the early '80's. Not much has changed (for the positive anyway): the small downtown still has several of the same businesses, including a five and dime novelty/candy store (Foy's, which actually has expanded with an adjoining diner/grill and a Halloween store across the street). Although Fairborn has a lot of land area with a multitude of neighborhoods (that still look like they did 30 years ago), most of the shopping centers in town are high vacancy/empty because almost all of the economic activity shifted to the Wright State University/interstate bypass area heading out of town. Might be easy and cheap to temporarily rent a vacant store or warehouse to shoot interiors.

If you're looking for lots of activity or hills in your locale, you may want to keep looking. Fairborn proper doesn't have much of either. I just marvel when I go back every few years how it all just stays the same, though business activity shifted dramatically. Except for Foy's. That's actually gotten better, and you'd be lucky if they let you film inside their store or grill; plus you could use them for costuming needs if you had to.
Foy's sounds so interesting. I actually have scenes in a diner, so that would be amazing. Hmm. I'll definitely have to put that on my list of towns to investigate. I also just checked it out on Google Maps. It is about an hour-hour and 1/2 outside of Columbus? That's perfect! Since I have family there, so I can just crash for the night while scouting. Haha.

Thanks again! Anyone else have suggestions?

Old 09-12-2016, 05:48 AM

56,497 posts, read 80,803,243 times
In NY, perhaps places such as Johnson City or Endicott may work. Both were company towns in the Binghamton area, that have main streets that have an old look and has seen better days in parts of them. When you mentioned a diner, the Red Robin Diner in Johnson City came to mind.

Old 09-12-2016, 06:03 AM

4,247 posts, read 9,709,147 times
While there are some newer buildings, Hershey PA is by and large stuck in 1970's era autopia. In early October the feeling is enhanced by hosting what some call the world's largest antique auto show. Hershey Region AACA: Fall Meet

Old 09-12-2016, 06:45 AM

7,691 posts, read 4,551,558 times
Elgin, IL fits the bill, with the added bonus that it's only 30 min from O'hare.

Old 09-12-2016, 07:06 PM

5,882 posts, read 6,316,066 times
McArthur Ohio in Vinton County, looks like the old Main St. U.S.A. of a bygone era, the surrounding area is pristine hilly wilderness.

Old 09-12-2016, 07:24 PM

1,290 posts, read 1,123,469 times
How big of a town? There has to be hundreds of small relatively unchanged towns in the areas you mentioned. Possibly thousands.

Old 09-12-2016, 08:11 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,679,293 times
Astoria, Oregon. The principle filming of Goonies. And still the same. Jackpot!

Old 09-12-2016, 08:43 PM

1,614 posts, read 1,059,942 times
Cairo Illinois .don't even need to explain. Look it up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or