U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 06:22 PM

992 posts, read 581,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texamichiforniasota View Post

For LA, I'd add Burbank, Universal City, and Culver City for the Movie Studios and nice neighborhoods. I'd add MDR, Santa Monica, West Hollywood, Beverly Hills and View Park-Windsor Hills for upscale housing and shopping in addition to filling in some funny gaps in the city's shape. Glendale also has some decent dense housing and shopping that sits between the LA city neighborhoods of Atwater Village and Eagle Rock, so I would add it too. That would also fill in the gap between the LA city Neighborhoods of Shadow Hills/Tujunga in the North and Eagle Rock/Glassell Park in the South. Pasadena and South Pasadena border city limits and would be nice to add to LA as well. I'd add Inglewood to close the gap between the city neighborhoods of Westchester and South LA. It would also keep the NFL team playing in Los Angeles. Finally, I'd add the city of San Fernando Since it completely surrounded by LA. Obviously, the wealthy cities I named feel they get better services from their own city departments than they would from LA, so they would never merge.

I would get rid of Watts (Surrounded on 3 and a half sides by other cities unincorporated LA county) as while improved from 1990's, it still has high crime and doesn't add much to the city, in addition to it's strange shape. Finally, I'd get rid of the Harbor Gateway, Harbor City, Wilmington, and San Pedro. The port brings in a lot of revenue, but they're too far from central LA, the give the city limits a really strange shape, and it would make more sense geographically and culturally if they joined Long Beach.

With these changes, LA's population would be more than 4.6 million and Long Beach would bump to over 600,000.
Why not just make all of the LA basin, including Orange County, one big city of 13 million. LA would finally have more people than New York!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2017, 10:23 PM

2,123 posts, read 1,318,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
In 1898, the New York state legislature passed into law a bill that created Greater New York. The city of New York, at this time, consisted of Manhattan and the western portion of the Bronx. Queens, Brooklyn, Staten Island, and the remainder of the Bronx were added to the city.
I think annexing Staten Island was a mistake, and I think a lot of Staten Island residents would agree that it shouldn't be part of NYC. I wish we could trade it to New Jersey in exchange for parts of Hudson and Bergen counties like Jersey City, Hoboken, and East Rutherford where the Jets/Giants play, to create a new Fifth borough. Which would also convert the PATH into the NYC subway system and have free transfers set up in shared stations, instead of the BS we have now where we have to pay twice + can't use our unlimited. And then also extend it to MetLife Stadium to make it less of a pain in the ass for NYers to go to a football game.

Old 01-16-2017, 05:42 AM

5,964 posts, read 6,576,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
I think annexing Staten Island was a mistake, and I think a lot of Staten Island residents would agree that it shouldn't be part of NYC. I wish we could trade it to New Jersey in exchange for parts of Hudson and Bergen counties like Jersey City, Hoboken, and East Rutherford where the Jets/Giants play, to create a new Fifth borough. Which would also convert the PATH into the NYC subway system and have free transfers set up in shared stations, instead of the BS we have now where we have to pay twice + can't use our unlimited. And then also extend it to MetLife Stadium to make it less of a pain in the ass for NYers to go to a football game.
very logical. those NJ feel like they belong to NYC. Staten Island is just sort of "out there"

Old 01-16-2017, 09:48 AM

992 posts, read 581,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
Or you could have both. And Westchester and Hempstead and Newark and....?

Old 01-16-2017, 11:48 AM

2,123 posts, read 1,318,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
very logical. those NJ feel like they belong to NYC. Staten Island is just sort of "out there"
Exactly. Those parts of NJ are much more well-connected to The City than Staten Island. Staten Island is kind of isolated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Western Urbanite View Post
Or you could have both. And Westchester and Hempstead and Newark and....?
That's a little much. I really don't think we need all that. Plus a lot of those areas are too suburban and shouldn't be part of NYC

Old 01-18-2017, 01:57 PM

506 posts, read 335,484 times
In Richmond, VA I would add the entire areas of both Henrico and Chesterfield Counties. If this happened then we would actually be able to implement public transportation that is worth a darn. The counties seem to think that their residents don't need public transportation. Nothing like your bus route literally terminating at the county line or having to work a specific shift because your bus only runs at a certain time of day, maybe only twice a day.

Old 01-18-2017, 03:57 PM

11,810 posts, read 18,848,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpier015 View Post
In Richmond, VA I would add the entire areas of both Henrico and Chesterfield Counties. If this happened then we would actually be able to implement public transportation that is worth a darn. The counties seem to think that their residents don't need public transportation. Nothing like your bus route literally terminating at the county line or having to work a specific shift because your bus only runs at a certain time of day, maybe only twice a day.
The people and their perspectives won't change with annexation. In fact, the whole thing could backfire with the naysayers having their voice politically heard at the city level.

Old 01-18-2017, 05:49 PM

4,639 posts, read 2,796,990 times
I would reverse the 1854 consolidation of Philadelphia. I think it would benefit the entire state if the city was split up into different townships that could manage their own smaller area. Since Philadelphia's city limits are autonomous with Philadelphia county limits, are representation and power is limited in terms of the number constitutes we have in Harrisburg.

Old 01-19-2017, 06:22 AM

506 posts, read 335,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
The people and their perspectives won't change with annexation. In fact, the whole thing could backfire with the naysayers having their voice politically heard at the city level.
Wishful thinking on my part I suppose. Maybe Richmond is doomed to forever be a lackluster city in terms of public transportation. The city is working on bus rapid transit. The problem is that the brt will serve the one section of the city that is actually already serviced well by bus. It will run on broad street and still terminate at the end of the city limits.

Old 01-19-2017, 07:38 AM

55 posts, read 68,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye614 View Post
Here are the Columbus boundaries in 1950.

Here are the modern day boundaries after wide-scale annexation mostly in the 60-80's.

I would start by axing anything outside of the 270 loop.
I would agree, take out all city limits outside 270. I lived in one of those 3way awkward triangles in Little Turtle; Columbus city limits, Westerville zip 43081, and New Albany schools. It was always a challenge to describe to friends/family what part of town I lived in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
That is obnoxious -- I didn't think it was legal to completely engulf another city within a municipal boundary (i.e. the white areas within the shaded region)! Maybe that happened before the law took place? Columbus' annexation doesn't seem to do it many favors -- since it thins out population density, is more costly to build infrastructure and maintain, etc. -- but maybe I'm wrong. Does anyone with knowledge of the city know whether annexation is generally considered to be a pro or con to the city/metro?

*Edit: I didn't realize until now that the I-270 loop in the 1950's map is MUCH smaller than its actual placement -- at least at the north end.
As far as enclaves go, I'm unaware of any laws which prohibit that. There are many examples across Ohio (Norwood and St. Bernard with Cincinnati, Bratenahl with Cleveland) and the US (Highland Park/University Park with Dallas) but these are all older examples. I think the annexation has aided with Columbus by boosting population, economic growth, diverse industries, etc. It's overall population is semi-deceiving based on density, but the annexation has slowly down greatly and it's population increases have come from the central/core areas (Downtown, Short North, Italian Village, Victorian Village, Harrison West, University District, German Village, etc.).

In regards to 270, it's northern and eastern boundaries were in dispute during planning in the 50s and 60s. Worthington and Cbus north-siders had it eventually pushed to it's current location and Gahanna pushed the outerbelt west, Port Columbus (now John Glenn Int'l) pushed east, which created the "kink" between the 2.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or