U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 07:09 AM

5,853 posts, read 6,524,415 times

Advertisements

In 1898, the New York state legislature passed into law a bill that created Greater New York. The city of New York, at this time, consisted of Manhattan and the western portion of the Bronx. Queens, Brooklyn, Staten Island, and the remainder of the Bronx were added to the city.

If you could create the ideal city limits for your city, where would you draw the new line? would you include the whole metropolitan area inside the city limits or only expand it to include the urbanized areas in the first fringe outside the city line? Would you possibly contract rather than expand the city?

What was the basis of why you think your new city limits would be beneficial.

Hopefully some will upload a map of the expanded city they made.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2016, 07:39 AM

3,954 posts, read 3,487,388 times
I actually did this for Grand Rapids a few months ago. If you merged Grand Rapids with its inner core you have a pretty symmetrical looking city in 141 sq mi with over 390k people in it. Not super dense by any means, it does show how City pop alone doesn't tell the full story of a city.

---------------2010 2015 change %

Old 09-12-2016, 01:41 PM

594 posts, read 495,610 times

For Cincinnati, the obvious is to fill in the big holes of Norwood, St Bernard and Elmwood Place. I'd also like to fill the gaps between Mt Washington/East End and Madisonville/P Ridge/Kennedy Hghts. Also add Delhi in the west to make Riverside and Sayler park look less awkward.

Old 09-12-2016, 04:48 PM

18,924 posts, read 6,850,118 times
I would actually shrink the city of Phoenix to the boundaries of the Phoenix Union High School District, the areas left out would go to their adjoining cities, which they share school districts with

Old 09-12-2016, 05:13 PM

336 posts, read 303,229 times

If I could extend the city of Erie's boundaries I would annex both Millcreek Twp. and Lawrence Park.

Millcreek has a lot of amenities the city could benefit from having including Presque Isle, Waldameer Park, the Millcreek Mall, Erie Int'l Airport and several hotels.

Lawrence Park has a huge GE Transportation facility, which would have to pay city taxes.

Old 09-13-2016, 10:08 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,106,207 times
The Washington Diamond: 1,054,904 people in 102 sqmi.

Old 09-13-2016, 10:17 PM

4,552 posts, read 3,635,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I would actually shrink the city of Phoenix to the boundaries of the Phoenix Union High School District, the areas left out would go to their adjoining cities, which they share school districts with
I don't agree with this. Phoenix city boundaries are HUGE, though. What I would do is:

1) Make Ahwatukee it's own city, since it wants to act like it's not part of Phoenix at all.
2) Make West Phoenix either it's own thing or part of other WV suburbs (i.e. Tolleson, Glendale, etc.).
3) Anthem should also be taken out of Phoenix since it's so isolated and is not really cohesive, I believe having Anthem and the Deer Valley area are bringing down density figures for Phoenix proper when it's not accurate.

There is a huge benefit to being in Phoenix limits as you know... WATER. Policies dictate that Phoenix, Glendale, Tempe, and Scottsdale get priority. However I do believe the reduction of size in Phoenix proper would better politically.

Old 09-13-2016, 10:41 PM

I should say it's not a perfect diamond anymore since Alexandria annexed Landmark and Seminary Hill.

In my ideal city, however, I would have a strong neighborhood system like London does. Give each 20,000 people a designated neighborhood. Each of those neighborhoods gets 2 Legislative Representatives in the new State Legislature. DC will never have statehood if 'Washington' is run by a 'City Council' and not a 'State Legislature'. If DC wants to become a state, it needs to govern as if it were a state.

Here are the 50 Constituencies I would make within the 'New Washington' of 1,054,904 people.
  1. Adams Morgan, Washington
  2. Alexandria Old Town, Alexandria
  3. American University Park, Washington
  4. Anacostia, Washington
  5. Atlas District, Washington
  6. Aurora Hills, Washington
  7. Beauregard, Alexandria
  8. Bellevue Forest, Arlington
  9. Benning, Washington
  10. Bloomingdale, Washington
  11. Bluemont, Arlington
  12. Brightwood, Washington
  13. Brookland, Washington
  14. Capitol Hill, Washington
  15. Civic Betterment, Washington
  16. Columbia Heights, Washington
  17. Columbia Pike, Arlington
  18. Congress Heights, Washington
  19. Crestwood, Washington
  20. Deanwood, Washington
  21. Del Ray, Alexandria
  22. Dupont Circle, Washington
  23. East Falls Church, Arlington
  24. Federal Triangle, Washington
  25. Foggy Bottom, Washington
  26. Forest Hills, Washington
  27. Foxhall, Washington
  28. Friendship Heights, Washington
  29. Georgetown, Washington
  30. Golden Triangle, Washington
  31. Good Hope, Washington
  32. Kingman Park, Washington
  33. Landmark, Alexandria
  34. Logan Circle, Washington
  35. Lyon Park, Arlington
  36. Navy Yard, Washington
  37. NoMa, Washington
  38. Orange Line Corridor, Arlington
  39. Pentagon City, Arlington
  40. Petworth, Washington
  41. Rosemont, Alexandria
  42. Rosslyn, Arlington
  43. Queens Chapel, Washington
  44. Saint Elizabeths, Washington
  45. Seminary Hill, Alexandria
  46. Shaw, Washington
  47. Shirlington, Arlington
  48. Takoma, Washington
  49. Trinidad, Washington
  50. Woodley Park, Washington

Old 09-13-2016, 10:48 PM

1,185 posts, read 874,086 times

For LA, I'd add Burbank, Universal City, and Culver City for the Movie Studios and nice neighborhoods. I'd add MDR, Santa Monica, West Hollywood, Beverly Hills and View Park-Windsor Hills for upscale housing and shopping in addition to filling in some funny gaps in the city's shape. Glendale also has some decent dense housing and shopping that sits between the LA city neighborhoods of Atwater Village and Eagle Rock, so I would add it too. That would also fill in the gap between the LA city Neighborhoods of Shadow Hills/Tujunga in the North and Eagle Rock/Glassell Park in the South. Pasadena and South Pasadena border city limits and would be nice to add to LA as well. I'd add Inglewood to close the gap between the city neighborhoods of Westchester and South LA. It would also keep the NFL team playing in Los Angeles. Finally, I'd add the city of San Fernando Since it completely surrounded by LA. Obviously, the wealthy cities I named feel they get better services from their own city departments than they would from LA, so they would never merge.

I would get rid of Watts (Surrounded on 3 and a half sides by other cities unincorporated LA county) as while improved from 1990's, it still has high crime and doesn't add much to the city, in addition to it's strange shape. Finally, I'd get rid of the Harbor Gateway, Harbor City, Wilmington, and San Pedro. The port brings in a lot of revenue, but they're too far from central LA, the give the city limits a really strange shape, and it would make more sense geographically and culturally if they joined Long Beach.

With these changes, LA's population would be more than 4.6 million and Long Beach would bump to over 600,000.

Last edited by Texamichiforniasota; 09-13-2016 at 11:40 PM..

Old 09-13-2016, 10:59 PM

Another even bigger fantasy is 'New Washington' taking up all of the land inside the Beltway. In 2010, this would be 255.7 square miles and 1,725,686 people. It would instantly become the fifth largest city in the U.S. As of July 1, 2015 it would be over 1,900,000 people!

See here for more: There Are 1.75 Mil. People Inside the Beltway & Cool Maps – The Transportation Planner

If this were the case, the 50 Constituencies above would have to more than double to 100 to accommodate new neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or