U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 12:55 AM

158 posts, read 75,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Chicago and Madison, without a doubt. Anything else is completely up to you.
This may come across as exteemely noobish.... But is chicago as dangerous to visit as it seems to be on the news? Also I normally tavel with a firearm for personal safety. Is there a safe way to transport it while visitii g chicago?

I got a job offer in chicago and turned it down essensailly because my wife immediately started worrying about the crime there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2016, 01:06 AM

1,204 posts, read 880,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle86 View Post
This may come across as exteemely noobish.... But is chicago as dangerous to visit as it seems to be on the news? Also I normally tavel with a firearm for personal safety. Is there a safe way to transport it while visitii g chicago?

I got a job offer in chicago and turned it down essensailly because my wife immediately started worrying about the crime there.
Downtown and the North-side are fine, as safe as any city you will find in the US. The South and West Sides are where the vast majority of the crime is. There are some ok neighborhoods in both the South and West sides, but if you are worried about crime just stick to downtown and the North Side and you will get to see a lot of the fun sites anyways. As for the gun, are there places you could check it? Have you ever felt like you needed to use it while traveling? I've driven all over the country and never once been in a situation where a gun would be useful. In any event, there are plenty of police in the touristy neighborhoods in Chicago, so you shouldn't need it.

Old 09-14-2016, 03:03 AM

12,201 posts, read 10,429,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle86 View Post

I'd keep it locked in your trunk, clip and ammo separate from the weapon itself. I don't know the specifics, but gun laws are strict in Chicago itself, and having a CCW in another state doesn't make you immune from another city or state's laws.

Old 09-14-2016, 07:35 AM

1,709 posts, read 1,676,994 times
I'd say Omaha, Lincoln, Des Moines, Minneapolis/St. Paul, Chicago, Madison, Indianapolis, and Columbus are your best bets for solid employment opportunities relative to CoL.

Old 09-14-2016, 08:16 AM

5,991 posts, read 8,324,206 times
I wouldn't be afraid of Chicago based on crime alone. Yes, crime is an issue and hot topic there, but in relation to the rest of the US (including many of the US's most "darling" cities, like Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, DC, Phoenix, etc.) it's really not much worse. Unless you gang bang or have low/no income you shouldn't be too exposed to the most dangerous parts of any city, but that's not to say some cities aren't safer than others when it comes to everyday crime, like burglaries or assaults. If you're afraid of Chicago because of crime, then you should be equally afraid of MANY other cities as well, including several of the largest cities listed here. It's not a problem unique to the Midwest either, or large cities, for that matter (e.g. Flint, Rockford or Saginaw).

Old 09-14-2016, 09:22 AM

3,965 posts, read 3,499,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OuttaTheLouBurbs View Post
I'd say Omaha, Lincoln, Des Moines, Minneapolis/St. Paul, Chicago, Madison, Indianapolis, and Columbus are your best bets for solid employment opportunities relative to CoL.
Is there a reason you don't include Grand Rapids? Its unemployment rate is 3.7% and has a lower cost of living than Columbus, Indy or Madison. Or do you just not think about it? That happens a lot too.

Old 09-14-2016, 10:19 AM

1,709 posts, read 1,676,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Is there a reason you don't include Grand Rapids? Its unemployment rate is 3.7% and has a lower cost of living than Columbus, Indy or Madison. Or do you just not think about it? That happens a lot too.
Grand Rapids is a dump.

Kidding, I totally forgot about it . But definitely a must-add in this case. Cool city with a rock solid economy and job market.

Also, an addendum: OP, if your wife is worried about crime in Chicago, cross Detroit off my list. With all due respect it seems she's fixated on stereotypes, and if so she will reject Detroit in a heartbeat. Both cities are fine in the right places, they're not war zones all over (and particularly not so in the suburbs too).

Old 09-17-2016, 01:52 AM

158 posts, read 75,084 times
I don't mean to stereotype. Sorry. All we hear regarding chicago is x number of people shot last weekend or x number of homicides this year. I don't mean to be offensive to the people who live there. As for carrying a gun, it's the norm where I'm from. Makes me feel safer. I just want to follow the laws best I can.

Thank you all for the suggestions of places to visit!

Old 09-17-2016, 11:54 AM

991 posts, read 501,132 times
I think all of the cities in the midwest are worth a look. You are right that they are mostly underrated, except Chicago and maybe Minneapolis/St. Paul (although I think it gets downed more than necessary for weather, it mostly gets positive press).

MO has lax gun laws (not a positive to me personally, but sounds like it might be for you).

Outside of the bigger cities (MSP, Chi, STL, KC, Omaha, Indy, Des Moines, Milwaukee, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Columbus, Detroit), you could also check places like Madison, Grand Rapids, Columbia MO, Lawrence KS, Springfield MO

I'm sure I'm missing some. It really depends on other specifics of what you like and where you can find a job in your field.

Old 09-19-2016, 12:45 PM

5,991 posts, read 8,324,206 times
Even smaller than the mid-sized metros, there's so many cool smaller towns to check out in the Midwest, the list would be nearly endless. A couple places off the top of my head that I've been to and found to be very interesting include: La Crosse, WI; Sheboygan, WI; Duluth, MN; Mackinac Island, MI; Wisconsin Dells, WI; and Sandusky, OH (Cedar Point).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or