Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2016, 02:05 PM

1,962 posts, read 1,815,321 times

Advertisements

Rochester NY has very good and growing craft beer scene. About a dozen in the area so far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2016, 03:06 PM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Here's one of those rankings with a couple of good ones as the top 2...

To determine the best cities for beer drinkers, SmartAsset looked at data on microbreweries, brewpubs and bars for 296 of the largest cities in the U.S. We considered the total and per-capita number of microbreweries and brewpubs in each city, as well as the average Yelp star rating for these establishments. Our analysis also considered the number of bars per capita and the average price for a pint of domestic beer in each city.

1. Portland, Maine
The nation’s top beer city is Portland, Maine. The city is home to 17 microbreweries, one for every 4,000 residents – the highest per capita microbrewery rate of any U.S. city. Perhaps the most well-known of Portland’s breweries is Allagash Brewing Company, which reintroduced Belgian style brews to America in the mid-90s.
Other favorites include Peak Brewing Company, which specializes in organic brews, and Sebago Brewing Co., which has several brewpubs throughout town.

2. Asheville, North Carolina
Located in the Blue Ridge Mountains of western North Carolina, Asheville combines beautiful scenery with a vibrant music scene and, of course, great beer. The city is home to 19 microbreweries and brewpubs, making it one of just two U.S. cities that have fewer than 100,000 residents but more than 10 breweries. (Top-ranked Portland, Maine is the other.)

Old 09-18-2016, 05:44 PM

2,851 posts, read 2,299,160 times
Any large city has multiple microbreweries that - in my experience - can be competing with the best of them, quality-wise.

Some of the best IPA beers I've had is being brewed right now in a brewery pub just a mile and a half from my home. They have only 8-10 beers - all produced right there - and I'd say a good half of them are exemplary.

And they are just one of many in the Metro Detroit area.

Thanks to the American Beer Revolution..

Old 09-20-2016, 07:08 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,517,350 times
The craft beer movement has been so ubiquitous that you can get great beer pretty much anywhere in the US now. As far as "best cities" for beer, I think it is important to consider BOTH locally brewed beer (within the city) and distribution...aka what cities have other nearby towns/cities that brew great beer that is available in your city. Portland, San Diego, and Denver are all obvious craft beer havens, but places like Chicago also have fantastic local breweries (dozens and dozens in Chicago's case) but also have great distribution options (Chicago gets pretty much all of the great beer the Midwest has to offer, plus more selection of West Coast beer that doesn't quite make it to the East Coast). As far as up and coming beer cities, Pittsburgh is doing pretty well, Asheville is underrated, and Vermont is great.

Old 09-20-2016, 09:19 AM

35,051 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Definitely think Portland ME is underrated on the beer and restaurant scene

Old 09-20-2016, 01:16 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post

1. Portland, Maine
The nation’s top beer city is Portland, Maine. The city is home to 17 microbreweries, one for every 4,000 residents – the highest per capita microbrewery rate of any U.S. city. Perhaps the most well-known of Portland’s breweries is Allagash Brewing Company, which reintroduced Belgian style brews to America in the mid-90s.
Other favorites include Peak Brewing Company, which specializes in organic brews, and Sebago Brewing Co., which has several brewpubs throughout town.
This, and it isn't really that close. Bissell Bros is tops in my book (nothing really beats Swish), Foundation, Oxbow, Rising Tide... on and on and on.

I try to jock Madison WI and Burlington VT whenever I can, and both have great breweries, but within the city nothing like Portland, ME.

Last edited by timberline742; 09-20-2016 at 01:43 PM..

Old 09-20-2016, 01:42 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,965,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Rose View Post
Charlotte,NC is missing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Raleigh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincydave8 View Post
Beyond the 4 listed above, other great ones are:

Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Milwaukee, Cincinnati, Philly, St Louis, Cleveland, Madison, San Fran and Asheville
NC's largest cities do pretty well in terms of quality these days. It's a shame that NC will not be known as a craft brew state outside the state borders until a law prohibiting breweries from selling more than 25,000 barrels without going through a distributor are repealed. This is the main reason people outside the state generally don't know about the beer in it, and why despite having more craft breweries than any other southern state, the economic impact of craft beer in the state is not even the largest in the south.

Favorite from each city:

Charlotte - Wooden Robot
Raleigh - Trophy
Greensboro - Gibb's Hundred
Durham - Ponysaurus
Winston-Salem - Foothills
Asheville - Wicked Weed

Old 09-20-2016, 01:50 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,596,328 times
The Twin Cities are also up there.

Dangerous Man, Bad Weather, and Flat Earth are my favorites.

Most people would probably say Surly (I struggle calling this a micro brewery).

Old 09-20-2016, 02:46 PM

1,778 posts, read 2,883,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Portland, Seattle, Austin, and Denver.
Pretty good choices. From USA Today FWIW:

10 Best editors have compiled this state-by-state guide so you can plan your next beer pilgrimage:

California, 268 craft breweries. ...
Washington, 136 craft breweries. ...
Colorado, 130 craft breweries. ...
Oregon, 124 craft breweries. ...
Michigan, 102 craft breweries. ...
Pennsylvania, 93 craft breweries. ...
Wisconsin, 75 craft breweries...

Old 09-20-2016, 09:08 PM

2,491 posts, read 2,678,682 times
I would like to add Golden, Colorado to the list. Six micro breweries in a city of less than 19,000.
Plus two great taprooms that provide access to many offerings from Denver, Boulder and the rest of the state.

ETA: Two blocks from downtown is the largest (by volume) single location brewery in the world. Although it is NOT craft beer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.