U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2016, 09:27 PM

1 posts, read 443 times

Advertisements

Sorry, if this is the wrong place. I am new here ( this is my first post ever) and I am getting used to the rules.

So, I am looking for cities to one day move to, but I am having trouble knowing which American cities would fit someone of my description and desires in a place.

I guess the physical appearance is important since I don't want to be around particularly racist cities, even though they could have a reputation of being great, depending on the person. Basically, most onlookers would assume I am "Black" , but my skin is really a light brown found in mixed race people( which I am), and my hair may end up straightening eventually. If I let my facial hair grow, I am sometimes told that I look like I am from the Middle East and on one occasion Indian, but except for the last description, the only people who say I look Arabic are non Americans( my Mexican relatives). My hair style, when not cut for a while, looks like a cross between an afro and a mullet, or at least a curly mullet. I wear glasses and I don't dress particularly suspicious, although wearing long coats may make me look suspicious, but that's something I would only wear if the weather demands( which could be frequent depending on the place). Physically, I am small for a guy (I will most likely end up front 5'2 to 5'5), although even here in California, I can occasionally get the feeling I come off as threatening since I have a pretty " serious " look and i am slow to smile. On some occasions I feel uncomfortable around old people since they tend to watch me, which brings me to my next subject.

I am looking for a city that has lots of young people , basically millennials. This would also go in hand with high Job growth, I think. An ethnically diverse city would be nice, but I am open to other options. I am REALLY open to Southern cities, since I don't believe the stereotypes about the south being any more particularly racist than the rest of the country, not to mention I frequently hear that the fastest growing cities are in the South. Weather wise I am okay with anything, but I guess I am stuck with somewhat warm weather, as I can get sick pretty easily by a breeze of the wind, but I am VERY willing to adapt to that situation.
I don't really care about the politics of a city or it's religious life as long as I am tolerated for my beliefs. ( Mixed bag on Christianity, but I am not fond of mega churches and I hope people don't expect to go to one. Politically I am best described as liberal, but I am learning to keep my politics to myself, but I really don't like hearing bigoted views about women, immigrants, religions,ethnicities, and LGBT in a casual conversation by "average" people, outside that usually small minority of vocal bigots found in every place .)

So, with all this information, what cities or just general area in the US do you think I could fit in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2016, 12:30 PM

57 posts, read 57,986 times
I don't think you've given enough information to get a decent answer.

You're particularly concerned with racism, but as long as you stay away from tiny communities in rural areas where education is poor and jobs are scarce, you shouldn't run into any more racism than anywhere else. So this does not help narrow down our choices.

Millennials can be found in most large cities, so we can ignore this until we narrow down our choices further. You say you want good job growth, but you haven't mentioned what sort of industry you work in, so that would be helpful. And I also don't think a warmer or colder climate is going to be much of a factor in making you ill (unless you have a very specific problem made worse by certain climates). People get sick during the winter because they are stuck indoors staying warm. This is typical with most places in the US except for parts of Florida, southern California, and maybe the deep south of Texas. Everyone else is mostly indoors during the winter (even in the south), so your tendency to be ill won't change much with latitude.

It would be helpful if you would explain why you want to leave San Diego and what you are hoping to get somewhere else?

Old 09-14-2016, 02:41 PM

21,258 posts, read 30,528,126 times
I would most recommend Atlanta (in particular neighborhoods like East Atlanta, Cabbagetown and Little Five Points) given the criteria mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or