U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would having regional subforms on C-D be a good idea?
Yes 9 37.50%
No 15 62.50%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 10:28 PM

29,902 posts, read 27,345,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
Seriously though pretty sure neither New Mexico or Arizona want to be associated with Texas thanks for the offer, but we'll pass...
The irony of someone from Arizona making such a joke...

AZ and TX are political bedfellows but at least TX has several booming cities with well-rounded, growing economies. And a coast.

Old 09-13-2016, 10:53 PM

4,552 posts, read 3,637,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post

AZ and TX are political bedfellows but at least TX has several booming cities with well-rounded, growing economies. And a coast.
Did my comment upset you, Mutiny77? Do you really want to be a part of Arizona and New Mexico that badly?

Old 09-14-2016, 12:41 AM

6,060 posts, read 3,381,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Same with Oklahoma. Oklahoma is more like Mississippi or Alahama than it is Nebraska.

No its not.

Old 09-14-2016, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post

I've seen a trend of people who live in Arizona trying to put Texas down and act like they're sooo much better. Meanwhile Texans don't say anything about Arizona. Yea, cuz I'd totally rather live in a city like Phoenix. Because when I look at the cardboard boxes at the storage room at work I think to myself "I wish I lived in a city that looked like it was made of these boxes... and was inside an oven.."

Old 09-14-2016, 12:50 AM

It would be a good idea if people could decide on where places like Maryland, West Virginia and Kentucky fit in.

Old 09-14-2016, 01:33 AM

1,385 posts, read 1,689,795 times
Prickly Pear can speak for him/herself and the state of Arizona. As someone from New Mexico, I'd personally much rather associate with either Texas or Colorado than Arizona. Even Oklahoma. Or Utah, which is my absolute favorite of the states that surround New Mexico.

I'm so tired of all the Phoenix posters gloating about how much oriented Phoenix is to California and how it is not culturally Southwestern at all, thus trying to separate it from the Southwest and associate it with the West Coast. It's so annoying. Tucson and Flagstaff are the places I like in Arizona the most, but they do not dominate the state enough like Phoenix to make me have any sort of affinity for Arizona as a state at all.

As for the topic at hand, I think it is a worthy idea. Perhaps to avoid all the controversy the subregions forums can just be divided into the official Census Bureau regional breakdowns of the Midwest, Northeast, South and West, plus a forum for the territories of the United States that could also include Hawaii and Alaska.

Old 09-14-2016, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQalex View Post
Prickly Pear can speak for him/herself and the state of Arizona. As someone from New Mexico, I'd personally much rather associate with either Texas or Colorado than Arizona. Even Oklahoma. Or Utah, which is my absolute favorite of the states that surround New Mexico.

I'm so tired of all the Phoenix posters gloating about how much oriented Phoenix is to California and how it is not culturally Southwestern at all, thus trying to separate it from the Southwest and associate it with the West Coast. It's so annoying. Tucson and Flagstaff are the places I like in Arizona the most, but they do not dominate the state enough like Phoenix to make me have any sort of affinity for Arizona as a state at all.

As for the topic at hand, I think it is a worthy idea. Perhaps to avoid all the controversy the subregions forums can just be divided into the official Census Bureau regional breakdowns of the Midwest, Northeast, South and West, plus a forum for the territories of the United States that could also include Hawaii and Alaska.

Honestly if I had to choose between Albuquerque, NM and Phoenix, AZ.. I'd pick ABQ in a heartbeat. I could enjoy living in Albuquerque even if I wouldn't prefer it or want to permanently settle there. I couldn't stand Phoenix at all.

Plus if I am in Albuquerque, maybe I can find me a Jesse Pinkman

Old 09-14-2016, 01:41 PM

1,586 posts, read 1,539,466 times
Definitely New England. I posted something on the Rhode Island forum last week about all the New England day trips I took from my home in Rhode Island this summer. Almost none of them were in Rhode Island, but where else was I going to post it? Nobody in General U.S. wants to see all the cool New England stuff I did.

And if there were a New England forum, you wouldn't have arguments over which states belong! It's six states, end of debate. Though I guess you might have some fights breaking out over Fairfield County, Connecticut ...

Old 09-14-2016, 02:34 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,225,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
DC is in the South
No it's not. Culturally and linguistically it's in the Northeast. DC is not Southern from a modern standpoint.

Old 09-14-2016, 02:35 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,225,773 times
The Great Plains region shouldn't exist. ND, SD, NE, and KS are Midwestern states. Oklahoma is a Southern state. As is Virginia. Virginia is not the Mid-Atlantic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or