U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would having regional subforms on C-D be a good idea?
Yes 9 37.50%
No 15 62.50%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 02:37 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,226,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQalex View Post
Prickly Pear can speak for him/herself and the state of Arizona. As someone from New Mexico, I'd personally much rather associate with either Texas or Colorado than Arizona. Even Oklahoma. Or Utah, which is my absolute favorite of the states that surround New Mexico.

I'm so tired of all the Phoenix posters gloating about how much oriented Phoenix is to California and how it is not culturally Southwestern at all, thus trying to separate it from the Southwest and associate it with the West Coast. It's so annoying. Tucson and Flagstaff are the places I like in Arizona the most, but they do not dominate the state enough like Phoenix to make me have any sort of affinity for Arizona as a state at all.

As for the topic at hand, I think it is a worthy idea. Perhaps to avoid all the controversy the subregions forums can just be divided into the official Census Bureau regional breakdowns of the Midwest, Northeast, South and West, plus a forum for the territories of the United States that could also include Hawaii and Alaska.
New Mexico has no association with Texas or Oklahoma. It's in a different region.

Old 09-14-2016, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
West Virginia and Florida in the same category? Nonsense.
As if your definition matters or coincides with the facts. West Virginia and Florida absolutely belong in the same region, though West Virginia is Upper South while most of Florida is Deep South.

Old 09-14-2016, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
No its not.
Yes it is. Culturally, linguistically and demographically it is nothing in common with the states to the north of it and everything in common with the South.

Old 09-14-2016, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
It would be a good idea if people could decide on where places like Maryland, West Virginia and Kentucky fit in.
Maryland fits in with the Mid-Atlantic, West Virginia fits in with the South, and Kentucky fits in with the South. Very easy to say which regions these states fall into.

Old 09-14-2016, 03:10 PM

6,060 posts, read 3,384,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
Yes it is. Culturally, linguistically and demographically it is nothing in common with the states to the north of it and everything in common with the South.
I don't remember there being a bunch of American Indians when I was in Mississippi. Nor do I remember endless wheat fields or anything like the Arbuckles. Oklahoma is a southern plains state with a western spirit just like Texas. It's more like Texas than Nebraska but its more like Nebraska than Mississippi.

Geography is more important for regions anyway. The agriculture of Oklahoma greatly influences the culture of the place as well, linking it with Kansas more so than Georgia.

Old 09-14-2016, 03:13 PM

6,060 posts, read 3,384,906 times
Quote:
Maryland fits in with the Mid-Atlantic, West Virginia fits in with the South, and Kentucky fits in with the South. Very easy to say which regions these states fall into.
West Virginia goes further north than several northern states. It fits in with Appalachia, but I wouldn't call it the South. Didn't it split FROM Virginia because it didn't wanna be part of the confederacy anyway?

Old 09-14-2016, 03:27 PM

29,940 posts, read 27,365,450 times
Quote:
New Mexico has no association with Texas or Oklahoma. It's in a different region.
Quote:
The way you think of state lines as hard and fast cultural boundaries is highly fascinating to me.

Old 09-14-2016, 03:42 PM

11,881 posts, read 32,916,645 times
If this is a serious question, then please post it here:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/about-forum/

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or