U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most scenic U.S. region?
Hawaii 8 8.99%
Alaska 5 5.62%
California 22 24.72%
Pacific Northwest (OR and WA) 14 15.73%
Desert West (NV, UT, AZ, NM) 8 8.99%
Mountain West (ID, MT, WY, CO) 11 12.36%
Great Plains (ND, SD, NE, KS, OK) 0 0%
South (TX, LA, KY, TN, MS, AL, AR, GA, FL, SC, NC, WV, VA) 5 5.62%
Midwest (MN, WI, IL, IN, MI, OH, IA, MO) 2 2.25%
Mid-Atlantic (MD, DC, PA, NJ, NY) 3 3.37%
New England (VT, NH, ME, MA, CT, RI) 11 12.36%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 11:20 PM

1,676 posts, read 742,170 times

Advertisements

Hawaii by far
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2016, 11:22 PM

3,929 posts, read 2,213,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
Sounds great. I do believe the Hobbit and all the Lords of the Rings movies were filmed in New Zealand. Also Narnia was filmed in New Zealand. Any place that looks like New Zealand at this point is a winner in my book.

However the Gates of the Arctic, the Aleutian Islands, "South Central" Alaska (Denali), and the SE arm around Sitka are automatic wins in my book. I think only the Mountain West and portions of Washington can even compare to that, and you don't get Colorado-like mountains on the coast until due north of Vancouver, BC if my memory is working correctly.
I think the north cascades can compare, though they are not supper close to the coast, but still very visible, and there are some very large lakes in there as well such as Ross lake and lake Chelan. There is a reason why the north cascades are nicknamed the American Alps. Also the Olympic mountains come fairly close to the coast, though not as tall, but equally dramatic.

Old 09-13-2016, 11:38 PM

4,552 posts, read 3,637,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
I think the north cascades can compare, though they are not supper close to the coast, but still very visible, and there are some very large lakes in there as well such as Ross lake and lake Chelan. There is a reason why the north cascades are nicknamed the American Alps. Also the Olympic mountains come fairly close to the coast, though not as tall, but equally dramatic.
It's something about Alaska though that's so dramatic and rugged in every way that is really just so breathtaking. Untouched, natural, isolating... it's hard to explain. I know my thread has barely been up but I'm a little shocked that I'm the only Alaska vote considering the time and it's mostly westerners that are on C-D right now. I think Alaska would get more votes if it wasn't so darn expensive and difficult to get to. Also people don't like to vacation to colder weather (unless you live in the seventh level of Hell--I mean, uhh, unless you live in Arizona like myself) all that much.

People have expressed a similar mentality that I have of Alaska to Nevada. Nevada is sort of the hot, desert, isolating and rugged look that contrasts frigid Alaska. I do rag on Nevada quite a bit (I live in Arizona so I can, they look similar) but I can see it. Mountains in Nevada are more dramatic than here and Nevada has so much open, empty land.

Old 09-14-2016, 12:03 AM

231 posts, read 154,745 times
Quote:
I thought about splitting up the South as well but didn't know how to do it. Considering I've already been given flack for not splitting up CA I probably would get a lot more for attempting to divide the South. I was thinking about throwing Texas in with the Plains region (didn't feel that scenery wise Texas fit with most of the South) but wasn't sure so I decided not to. Also had no idea where to put West Virginia or Missouri either and just threw those around.

That's very true. It seems to really strike a nerve with people when you try to divide up the south, for some reason... especially Texas!

Old 09-14-2016, 03:06 AM

7,130 posts, read 9,901,913 times
It took me a bit to decide on Pacific Northwest.

That is because the West is divided so many times. Even the Midwest and Northeast are divided. But in contrast, almost the entire South is combined? Very strange poll.

Old 09-14-2016, 06:33 AM

18,927 posts, read 6,856,300 times
Quote:
Only a couple counties in Southern California count as a desert, I don't feel that it was that important to make that distinction. I doubt few people will be on here saying, "I voted California because of Death Valley!" I mean there could be that one person but, people think of the coast when they think of California. Or Yosemite, maybe.
They are a couple of HUGE counties though, approx 35-40% of California is desert. San Bernardino county, which is 95% desert, is the biggest county in the United States. You also have all of Imperial Co, far eastern San Diego Co, the eastern 2/3 of Riverside Co, northern Los Angeles Co, the eastern 1/3 of Kern Co, all of Inyo Co and southeastern Mono Co

Last edited by FirebirdCamaro1220; 09-14-2016 at 07:34 AM..

Old 09-14-2016, 07:12 AM

679 posts, read 463,504 times
The South West in Winter
Mid-Atlantic in the Spring
Pacific North West in Summer
New England in the Fall

Old 09-14-2016, 08:00 AM

24,980 posts, read 23,891,412 times
You forgot Delaware.

Old 09-14-2016, 09:27 AM

4,665 posts, read 2,637,440 times
There are a lot of beautiful places, but few have the wow factor of out west. California, PNW, Alaska, Hawaii, and the desert SW are in their own league. I'll probably vote PNW, but it's not an obvious choice, there are many great places.

Old 09-14-2016, 09:30 AM

4,665 posts, read 2,637,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
They are a couple of HUGE counties though, approx 35-40% of California is desert. San Bernardino county, which is 95% desert, is the biggest county in the United States. You also have all of Imperial Co, far eastern San Diego Co, the eastern 2/3 of Riverside Co, northern Los Angeles Co, the eastern 1/3 of Kern Co, all of Inyo Co and southeastern Mono Co
That's part of the beauty of California, having all those different ecosystems in one state. I think the poll was pretty good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or