U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most scenic U.S. region?
Hawaii 8 8.99%
Alaska 5 5.62%
California 22 24.72%
Pacific Northwest (OR and WA) 14 15.73%
Desert West (NV, UT, AZ, NM) 8 8.99%
Mountain West (ID, MT, WY, CO) 11 12.36%
Great Plains (ND, SD, NE, KS, OK) 0 0%
South (TX, LA, KY, TN, MS, AL, AR, GA, FL, SC, NC, WV, VA) 5 5.62%
Midwest (MN, WI, IL, IN, MI, OH, IA, MO) 2 2.25%
Mid-Atlantic (MD, DC, PA, NJ, NY) 3 3.37%
New England (VT, NH, ME, MA, CT, RI) 11 12.36%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 10:49 PM

1,770 posts, read 1,211,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
Well California is actually tied with the PNW at the moment but yeah I agree with you.
True, I was just going off of what the person I was responding to said. As, I hit send CA got another vote haha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2016, 08:45 AM

5,627 posts, read 3,963,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
I don't know why California is winning. Maybe because it's diverse but... Quality over quantity.
CA has both quality and quantity, thats why its winning.

Old 09-15-2016, 05:47 PM

4,552 posts, read 3,664,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
CA has both quality and quantity, thats why its winning.
Not sure about that. I think California has some of the ugliest desert, our desert looks prettier IMO, there are states with more appealing coastlines, there are states with prettier forests, there are states with prettier mountains, etc.

It's a subjective thread but I don't treat all scenery equally. I really don't find dead grass covered hills (most of Southern California and a good portion of Central Valley, non-irrigated, pretty much the majority of CA as it has a lot of hills minus the tall mountains) appealing. California has a few select appealing areas which for me are in the far northern part of the state, ironically the only part of the state I haven't seen. While CA has a lot of national parks and such I consider all areas of a state what's the "average" landscape in an area and what was the most appealing.

Good weather, which California has, does not make me appreciate scenery any more or any less. If that wasn't the case I would not be able to see the beauty of all that Arizona has unless it was December. And as another poster stated along with myself earlier, good weather leads to more exposure which will lead to more votes on the poll. People won't vote for something unless they've been there. And Anchorage I believe reaches highs of 60s (at least it was when I was there) at most in the summer, which is colder than our winter weather. And people don't like dealing with weather outside of their comfort zone which the comfort zone for the majority of people is California coastal weather (as you know their inland areas are a lot like Arizona considering heat, it gets hot quick). I believe Alaska is outside of a comfort zone 99% of the time. Arizona is also for a good portion of our year due to heat.

I have never been to New England, so I have no exposure, meaning statistically I would have been less likely to vote for it (I have used the Internet though to look at it so I'm not completely unfamiliar). Alaska, while breathtaking on the Internet (like fall colors in Maine) is so much different in person. Better in person actually. And people will constantly eliminate areas if it might create a hassle: "Well summer is the only time we can take the kids, do we really want to visit Arizona when it's going to be 100+ and people can die from the heat? What about scorpions? Rattlesnakes?" Or "Anchorage is going to have HIGHS in the 60s at most with constant sunshine. How will we get the kids to sleep? What about when we take them hiking, will they freeze? What about bears?"

I think you and I both know that scorpions and rattlesnakes are not very big threats. Same with heat stroke unless you lack brain cells. People want to do a vacation with less hassle, and California has some of the least hassle in America (few mosquitoes, little rain, normal day/night schedules, not overwhelmingly hot/cold, etc.) making it a desirable vacation spot. Take this from someone who has vacationed there every summer for over 20 years straight. That doesn't mean California has the best quality in scenery (again subjective) it just means it's the most convenient with little risk for awry. Pacific Northwest is similar in the sense that summers are great up there, and summers are when most people take vacations. I doubt few vacation in Seattle in December.

Old 09-16-2016, 01:07 PM

5,219 posts, read 5,887,811 times
My favorites are PNW, New England and Mountain West

Least favorite: Desert West (brown and ugly). I do not like Southern California either.

Old 09-16-2016, 02:02 PM

956 posts, read 1,778,175 times
From the places I've visited, I'd say the Appalachians(West Virginia in particular) and Rocky Mountain areas(Colorado west of Denver) are my favorite. I'd give an honorable mention to Arizona, New Mexico, and other desert southwest areas for their scenery, though. And I also like the 'driftless' area(where glaciers didn't flatten the land thousands of years ago) of southwest Wisconsin, southeast Minnesota, and also a tiny portion of far northeast Iowa. To me, this 'driftless' area is often underrated by others. LaCrosse, WI, Prairie du Chien, WI, Lansing, IA, and Winona, MN are examples of cities and towns within this area.

Always had wanted to visit Alaska and also California's redwood forest in the northern part of the state, but hadn't yet. Maine's coast(particularly east of Portland, ME) looks interesting, from pics I'd seen of it. Also the 'big island' of Hawaii(its southernmost island), seems interesting based on pics I'd seen of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or