Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most scenic U.S. region?
Hawaii 8 8.99%
Alaska 5 5.62%
California 22 24.72%
Pacific Northwest (OR and WA) 14 15.73%
Desert West (NV, UT, AZ, NM) 8 8.99%
Mountain West (ID, MT, WY, CO) 11 12.36%
Great Plains (ND, SD, NE, KS, OK) 0 0%
South (TX, LA, KY, TN, MS, AL, AR, GA, FL, SC, NC, WV, VA) 5 5.62%
Midwest (MN, WI, IL, IN, MI, OH, IA, MO) 2 2.25%
Mid-Atlantic (MD, DC, PA, NJ, NY) 3 3.37%
New England (VT, NH, ME, MA, CT, RI) 11 12.36%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 10:57 AM

3,491 posts, read 6,933,331 times

Advertisements

I voted for the Desert West
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2016, 10:58 AM

5,682 posts, read 4,841,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
It's something about Alaska though that's so dramatic and rugged in every way that is really just so breathtaking. Untouched, natural, isolating... it's hard to explain. I know my thread has barely been up but I'm a little shocked that I'm the only Alaska vote considering the time and it's mostly westerners that are on C-D right now. I think Alaska would get more votes if it wasn't so darn expensive and difficult to get to. Also people don't like to vacation to colder weather (unless you live in the seventh level of Hell--I mean, uhh, unless you live in Arizona like myself) all that much.

People have expressed a similar mentality that I have of Alaska to Nevada. Nevada is sort of the hot, desert, isolating and rugged look that contrasts frigid Alaska. I do rag on Nevada quite a bit (I live in Arizona so I can, they look similar) but I can see it. Mountains in Nevada are more dramatic than here and Nevada has so much open, empty land.
I believe you, Alaska looks breath taking from photos, can't imagine how beautiful it is in person. I still haven't voted. One thing I do love about the PNW is how diverse the ecosystems are, there are not that many places that can compare in diversity alone, except for California, but they don't have as many glaciers, which I love. So I'm kinda torn between Alaska and PNW.

Old 09-14-2016, 11:50 AM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,392,670 times
The Gulf Coast, very underappreciated region.

Old 09-14-2016, 12:20 PM

18,962 posts, read 32,437,457 times
Hawaii. Amazing tropical scenery and quite a lot of diversity for such a small state. Plus the active volcano and being able to see lava and it flow into the ocean is really unique and a cool sight.

Old 09-14-2016, 12:34 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,729,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
I believe you, Alaska looks breath taking from photos, can't imagine how beautiful it is in person. I still haven't voted. One thing I do love about the PNW is how diverse the ecosystems are, there are not that many places that can compare in diversity alone, except for California, but they don't have as many glaciers, which I love. So I'm kinda torn between Alaska and PNW.
SE Alaska sort of looks like the coast of Norway. Not identical but close. I've looked at the north cascades as another poster mentioned and while it is beautiful I just don't think it tops the mountains in Alaska. A google image search of the Brooks Range I think brings up great searches, the brooks range however is so north it doesn't grow trees, leaving green and sort of brownish grass and fog similar to Scotland and Iceland. If trees are all that important then yeah it won't be as appealing. Not too mention Alaska gets the aurora borealis, which speaks for itself.

Alaska just gets deathly cold, so a lot of people don't visit. But I think even an internet vacation (google images) can bring it justice.

Old 09-14-2016, 02:20 PM

18,929 posts, read 43,254,623 times
The Appalachians, from northern GA to western PA.

Old 09-14-2016, 04:03 PM

163 posts, read 164,087 times
Quote:
I thought about splitting up the South as well but didn't know how to do it. Considering I've already been given flack for not splitting up CA I probably would get a lot more for attempting to divide the South. I was thinking about throwing Texas in with the Plains region (didn't feel that scenery wise Texas fit with most of the South) but wasn't sure so I decided not to. Also had no idea where to put West Virginia or Missouri either and just threw those around.
Half of Texas has scenery exactly like that of the South. Of the other half, a portion goes to the plains, and the other, to the SW deserts.

Old 09-14-2016, 07:33 PM

594 posts, read 693,895 times
Default As to the question why you're the only one who picked Alaska ?

Quote:
It's something about Alaska though that's so dramatic and rugged in every way that is really just so breathtaking. Untouched, natural, isolating... it's hard to explain. I know my thread has barely been up but I'm a little shocked that I'm the only Alaska vote considering the time and it's mostly westerners that are on C-D right now. I think Alaska would get more votes if it wasn't so darn expensive and difficult to get to. Also people don't like to vacation to colder weather (unless you live in the seventh level of Hell--I mean, uhh, unless you live in Arizona like myself) all that much.

People have expressed a similar mentality that I have of Alaska to Nevada. Nevada is sort of the hot, desert, isolating and rugged look that contrasts frigid Alaska. I do rag on Nevada quite a bit (I live in Arizona so I can, they look similar) but I can see it. Mountains in Nevada are more dramatic than here and Nevada has so much open, empty land.
I believe your post says it all.
The OP emphasized BEAUTY ONLY.
You had to put your own personal bias in with 7th hell comment which was trying to avoid.
Just curious...if anyone on City-Data were living in a place that was 7th hell to them, 99.99998 percent would leave. Why do you stay ?

OP emphasized " beauty only "

Old 09-14-2016, 07:49 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,274,906 times
Quote:
Sounds great. I do believe the Hobbit and all the Lords of the Rings movies were filmed in New Zealand. Also Narnia was filmed in New Zealand. Any place that looks like New Zealand at this point is a winner in my book.

However the Gates of the Arctic, the Aleutian Islands, "South Central" Alaska (Denali), and the SE arm around Sitka are automatic wins in my book. I think only the Mountain West and portions of Washington can even compare to that, and you don't get Colorado-like mountains on the coast until due north of Vancouver, BC if my memory is working correctly.
Yes, it was filmed in New Zealand. Beautiful. I've never been to AK, so I can't say if I'd think it was more beautiful.

The Rockies are awe-inspiring, but it seems like whenever I've seen them, I was in a flat area that was not as pretty. For instance, Calgary Alberta is flat and non-descript, but Banf (sp?) and the Rockies are lovely in the distance. Whereas, in western WA, you're in green mountains with waterfalls, where you can also see snow-capped mountains. I dunno. It just does it for me.

I've always wanted to do an Alaska cruise. Maybe I'll still do that someday :-)

Old 09-14-2016, 08:09 PM

2,453 posts, read 2,356,914 times
Pacific Northwest: Volcanos, mountains, forest, desert...perfect for my tastes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.