Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 09:45 PM

28,896 posts, read 53,944,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
I agree with your assessment of Alabama, but remember that Huntsville is like a different planet from the rest of Alabama. It's a city full of engineers and rocket scientists, and I would venture to say that a big chunk of the population in Huntsville isn't from Alabama.
I'm sorry. You're ill-informed. Birmingham's a pretty great town. It's not quite Nashville in terms of attraction, but we were very surprised by what we found here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2008, 05:20 AM

217 posts, read 877,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueeyes30 View Post
Sorry for your bad experiences.

Just wondering, is the South the only region in the US you spent time in? I travel all over the US and you will find people like this all over the US, especially in rural or established places. When we visited my cousins family in rural Wisconsin, we got weird looks and people could tell we weren't from there the moment we opened our mouths. But one can experience this even while in their own native state.
Good point.

There seems like there are alot of threads of people moving from north to south and wondering about how they will be treated. It would interesting to know how many made the move from south to north and faced any preconceived notions or stereotypes. From personal experience, my southern born husband had difficulty adjusting to Ohio when his family moved there and faced alot of inbred jokes and mocking of his accent. Some of my family gave me he!! when I married a "hillbilly" from Kentucky. Interestingly, his family has been nothing but respectful towards me and my family.

Last edited by tallylady46; 02-28-2008 at 05:38 AM.. Reason: correction

Old 02-28-2008, 05:31 AM

2,975 posts, read 8,091,248 times
Some people here call my boyfriend a redneck because he's from MS but he's lived in KY, GA, TN and SC also.

I guess i'd also consider Arizona but being near a city like Phoenix but i heard the cost of living was higher but im not sure if it would be high like here? I also like Texas, North Carolina and pretty much all of the south bar AR and LA.

I've been to upstate NY too but i think the winters would be too cold plus the cost of living is mega high.

I just like a warm climate with friendly people that is a nice area really with alot to do for a couple.

Old 02-28-2008, 06:58 AM

Location: Originally Fayetteville, Arkansas/ now Seattle, Washington!
1,047 posts, read 3,935,264 times
Check out Fayetteville Arkansas. It seems to meet quite a bit of the things you want. Has a smaller town feel, but also has a nice mall (and a new mall in rogers, which is close by),the University of Arkansas is there, a pretty sizable metro population(around 400,000 but covers a pretty big area), and a good amount to do with good job opportunities. The area is growing really fast, and pretty diverse. Alot of my friends from back in Northwest Arkansas are Asian, mostly Lao and Vietnamese from neighboring Springdale, where there is also a pretty large hispanic population. Also there is Dickson street for bar hopping and for the Walton arts center, though i prefer spots such as Mt Sequoyah(a lookout point from a small mountain in town, very beautiful, my personal favorite spot!) Also there is a lot of hunting in the area, i know lots of people that are big hunters, and great fishing. Hope this helps ya, and good luck whereever you end up! If you want any more info on Fayetteville or the Northwest Arkansas area, feel free to DM me!

Old 02-28-2008, 11:24 AM

1,270 posts, read 2,165,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
I guess it depends on what you mean by "better." Lower taxes? Lower cost of living? Better schools? More churches? And since when does "progressive" mean not a lot of poverty? You'll find that there's a lot of poverty in many "progressive" (liberal) places in the country: Detroit, New Orleans, Memphis. And in the South, the better public school systems are often in very conservative areas.

So please be more specific with your definition of "better." What I consider to be a better place may not be what you consider to be a better place.
The Memphis and New Orleans areas are not overwhelmingly liberal or progressive, but they do consistently vote democratic which is mostly due to large Afro-American populations. I think you will find that urban areas with large Black populations are democratic or liberal. Why would they be conservative/red/republican those are the people cutting the social programs . You will actually find that our largest and most expensive cities are also the most progressive ya know New York, Chicago, and Los Angeles. How about the "Highly Educated" Progressive cities with large price tags like San Fran, Boston, and Seattle. Your argument is stupid!

Old 02-28-2008, 01:22 PM

13,336 posts, read 39,711,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
The Memphis and New Orleans areas are not overwhelmingly liberal or progressive, but they do consistently vote democratic which is mostly due to large Afro-American populations. I think you will find that urban areas with large Black populations are democratic or liberal. Why would they be conservative/red/republican those are the people cutting the social programs . You will actually find that our largest and most expensive cities are also the most progressive ya know New York, Chicago, and Los Angeles. How about the "Highly Educated" Progressive cities with large price tags like San Fran, Boston, and Seattle. Your argument is stupid!
Yeah. There's very little poverty in NYC, SF, L.A., Chicago, Boston, and Seattle. Right.

Old 03-04-2008, 05:23 PM

2,975 posts, read 8,091,248 times
Which states out of

AL
AZ
MS
GA
SC
NC
TX

Have the least taxes?

Old 03-04-2008, 05:57 PM

14,496 posts, read 26,510,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
I hope i've came to the right part of the forum to ask this question instead of the other state sub forums.

I was just wondering which southern state is nice to live in. Even a certain area for example im interested in hearing about

Mississippi (Nothern part)
Alabama (Nothern part)
Georgia (Northern part)
Austin - San antonio area of Texas
Charlotte, NC area

My boyfriend and I want to move to the south, he is originally from Tupelo, MS but has lived in various other states, i dont find him very helpful with info lol so i've came here instead

He is qualified in the engineering industry and has a degree in mechanical and aircraft engineering. I myself do not have a skill unfortunately. Not sure which area he would be better off focusing on?

We are looking for a good warm climate, a safe town/area that is clean with friendly people, hunting opportunities, low crime, pleanty of opportunities (up and coming area), progressive area with minimum poverty with alot of ammenities like shops, malls, some bars etc. I dont mind being rural as long as i have some of these ammenities. Small town feel would be awesome too. We do not want to live in a place with alot of hatred to foreigners, African Americans or really backwards attitudes.

I really liked the look of the Tupelo, MS area and the Charlotte, NC area athough I have not been to Texas i did like the look of the state.

Sorry for the long post.

I look forward hearing peoples opinions on this

P.S some of my friends have tried to steer me away from the south as they say its full of poverty, but i'd rather get your opinions on this and see what is best for us.

Cant be the warm climates
Charlotte is a decent city- read my recent post (above) Stay away from Tennessee- S Georgia and Alabama. NC overall is acceptable (Eastern only)stay out of the western areas.

I dont know about Texas, but I nedd to move back to one of the coasts after 10 years in the true south

Old 03-04-2008, 06:32 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,749,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
Which states out of

AL
AZ
MS
GA
SC
NC
TX

Have the least taxes?
I'll rank them from least to most:
1. Mississippi: cheap property taxes, sales taxes, everything. This is NOT a knock on Mississippi, but even many of the "poor" can live there at least decently because Miss. has such a lesser tax burden than most places.
2. Alabama
3. South Carolina
4. Texas: no income taxes, sales taxes are high but not exhorbatant, but the property taxes will get you. Sometimes, you have to literally home shop from neighborhood to neighborhood to search for the best property tax "rate deal," if you will.
5. Georgia, unless you're in the boondocks two hours or more from Atlanta
6. North Carolina: high income taxes, property taxes in terms of raw dollars are becoming expensive due to burgeoning home values in the last 10 years.
7. Arizona

Old 03-10-2008, 06:48 PM

767 posts, read 2,281,763 times
State-Local Tax Burdens, Calendar Year 2005
Rank State State/Local taxes as
% of per capita income
U.S. average 10.10%
1 Maine 13.00%
2 New York 12.00%
3 Hawaii 11.50%
4 Rhode Island 11.40%
5 Wisconsin 11.40%
6 Vermont 11.10%
7 Ohio 11.00%
8 Nebraska 10.90%
9 Utah 10.90%
10 Minnesota 10.70%
11 Arkansas 10.50%
12 Connecticut 10.50%
13 West Virginia 10.50%
14 New Jersey 10.40%
15 Kansas 10.40%
16 Louisiana 10.40%
17 Maryland 10.30%
18 Indiana 10.30%
19 Kentucky 10.30%
20 California 10.30%
21 Arizona 10.20%
22 Michigan 10.10%
23 Wyoming 10.10%
24 Washington 10.00%
25 Iowa 10.00%
26 Mississippi 10.00%
27 Idaho 10.00%
28 North Carolina 10.00%
29 New Mexico 9.90%
30 Illinois 9.80%
31 Georgia 9.80%
32 Massachusetts 9.80%
33 South Carolina 9.70%
34 Virginia 9.70%
35 Pennsylvania 9.70%
36 Oregon 9.60%
37 Colorado 9.50%
38 Nevada 9.50%
39 Montana 9.50%
40 Oklahoma 9.40%
41 Missouri 9.40%
42 North Dakota 9.40%
43 Texas 9.30%
44 Florida 9.20%
45 South Dakota 8.80%
46 Alabama 8.70%
47 Tennessee 8.30%
48 Delaware 8.00%
49 New Hampshire 7.40%
50 Alaska 6.40%
District of Columbia 12.20%
Source: Tax Foundation, 2005
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.