Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 08:54 AM

93,176 posts, read 123,783,345 times

Advertisements

Here is an article about the salary you would need to make in order to buy a home in certain major cities: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...nl_draw&wpmm=1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2016, 09:01 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,887,829 times
I love these articles that don't consider the quality of a neighborhood as a factor. A family house in good condition located in a safe neighborhood with a better school district will cost $200,000+ in Pittsburgh.

Old 09-14-2016, 01:45 PM

78 posts, read 104,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
I love these articles that don't consider the quality of a neighborhood as a factor. A family house in good condition located in a safe neighborhood with a better school district will cost $200,000+ in Pittsburgh.
The $86,000 figure for NYC made me laugh! There's just no way....

Old 09-14-2016, 02:53 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,087,591 times
I didn't expect Philadelphia was so "affordable," being cheaper than Baltimore and Dallas. Often times, people say older cities on the coast grow more slowly because they are so expensive. I wonder why Philadelphia is growing so slowly, then, while being affordable (at least in housing); it seemed like a great place to live when I visited, briefly, aside from the hoard of homeless people in downtown.

Old 09-14-2016, 03:02 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,955,059 times
This is one of those cases where city proper matters. Cheaper housing on the fringes of the MSA and really skew the numbers.

Old 09-14-2016, 03:46 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,587,616 times
I don't know what it says for Phoenix, but if you don't have a household income of at least $80k here, you can forget a single family home, less than $60k, forget a condo or townhome

Old 09-14-2016, 08:54 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,846,043 times
In a more urban city, it's easier to spend nothing (or nearly nothing) on transportation. That sends any "affordability" metric out the window.

Old 09-14-2016, 09:40 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,859,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I don't know what it says for Phoenix, but if you don't have a household income of at least $80k here, you can forget a single family home, less than $60k, forget a condo or townhome
Metro Phoenix is a very good city for married couples with jobs that pay the median wage.

Part of the reason why households have such huge families in Metro Phoenix is because they have so much left over because of the extremely low cost, nice, new homes here.

I can't think of a better metropolitan area in the country for married couples earning the median wage.

The median wage in Metro Phoenix is $46,000 and a married couple earning that with the ultra-low Arizona taxes can live a very good lifestyle on that amount.

Phoenix-Mesa-Scottsdale, AZ - May 2015 OES Metropolitan and Nonmetropolitan Area Occupational Employment and Wage Estimates

For Instance, San Tan Valley close to job centers in Gilbert and Chandler has nice, big houses for less then $200,000 and the property taxes are extremely low in Arizona.

I was just in Salt Lake City and it is a very married and coupled city but far smaller families there because of the much higher housing costs.

Old 09-15-2016, 07:09 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,587,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
Metro Phoenix is a very good city for married couples with jobs that pay the median wage.

Part of the reason why households have such huge families in Metro Phoenix is because they have so much left over because of the extremely low cost, nice, new homes here.

I can't think of a better metropolitan area in the country for married couples earning the median wage.

The median wage in Metro Phoenix is $46,000 and a married couple earning that with the ultra-low Arizona taxes can live a very good lifestyle on that amount.

Phoenix-Mesa-Scottsdale, AZ - May 2015 OES Metropolitan and Nonmetropolitan Area Occupational Employment and Wage Estimates

For Instance, San Tan Valley close to job centers in Gilbert and Chandler has nice, big houses for less then $200,000 and the property taxes are extremely low in Arizona.

I was just in Salt Lake City and it is a very married and coupled city but far smaller families there because of the much higher housing costs.
Median HOUSEHOLD is $46k, the single earner median is more like $27k, too many people look at household income, it can be VERY misleading

And a household only making $46k is going to be stuck renting. Me and my fiance make $61k combined ($52k for me, $9k for her) and we are still renting. We make just enough to maybe afford a condo, but we're too close to the margin for my comfort

Old 09-15-2016, 08:21 AM

1,982 posts, read 2,087,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
In a more urban city, it's easier to spend nothing (or nearly nothing) on transportation. That sends any "affordability" metric out the window.
But this "metric" is only taking into account the average/median price of homes and nothing else, based on a 30% of income.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.