U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2016, 06:01 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,870,168 times

Advertisements

I lived in Seattle and I'd call that somewhat of an antisocial city, but moreso cliqueish and misanthropic than anything. People still have friends there, but they tend to be extremely selective and very standoffish or even downright hostile towards those not in their clique. There are a lot of mentally ill and autistic/Asperberger's types there too and it sorta adds to the illusion of it being an antisocial city.

What are some cities that are more truly lonesome ranger? As in, you will see people by themselves at the movies, restaurants, and out and about frequently? Maybe not rude and nasty towards strangers, but just preferring to keep to themselves and not concerned with having a huge network of friends?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2016, 09:20 PM

3,254 posts, read 1,631,733 times
My hometown of Colorado Springs is like that also. Most young people there are married with large families. They also have lots of wealthy, out-of-state retirees who moved to Colorado Springs for huge houses on huge scenic lots for a rock-bottom price who want to be left alone.

I also found Wyoming to be very anti-social. People in Wyoming are extremely polite and even a bit friendly but they tend to more the type that want to left alone.

Last edited by lovecrowds; 09-14-2016 at 10:08 PM..

Old 09-14-2016, 09:57 PM

24,981 posts, read 23,891,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidamarink View Post
I lived in Seattle and I'd call that somewhat of an antisocial city, but moreso cliqueish and misanthropic than anything. People still have friends there, but they tend to be extremely selective and very standoffish or even downright hostile towards those not in their clique. There are a lot of mentally ill and autistic/Asperberger's types there too and it sorta adds to the illusion of it being an antisocial city.

What are some cities that are more truly lonesome ranger? As in, you will see people by themselves at the movies, restaurants, and out and about frequently? Maybe not rude and nasty towards strangers, but just preferring to keep to themselves and not concerned with having a huge network of friends?
My sister liked it there and made a few friends. She met her future husband there. So...

Old 09-15-2016, 09:45 AM

15,504 posts, read 17,724,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidamarink View Post
I lived in Seattle and I'd call that somewhat of an antisocial city, but moreso cliqueish and misanthropic than anything
Antisocial behavior is defined as a deviant social disorder characterized by violent, callous disregard for other's physical and mental health and safety. Misanthropic means an attitude of utter hatred for the human species. I don't think Seattle qualifies as either.

Some cities have more antisocial behavior than others, but there is no such thing as a true antisocial or misanthropic city except maybe some kind of prison city from a dystopian post-apocalyptic novel or movie.

I think the word you are looking for is asocial, or even more likely introverted, a very different pattern of behavior characterized by a limited need for social contact. This social contact can be very congenial, but not extensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or