U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2016, 12:16 PM

3,178 posts, read 3,844,346 times

Advertisements

Cleveland, Columbus, Pittsburgh, and Detroit are all pretty central to all of the major Northern population centers, but I'd say Cleveland's location on I-90 and I-80 positions it particularly well as a midpoint between NYC and Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2016, 03:20 PM

594 posts, read 486,026 times
Default it's going to be a cold winter for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Is having access to Phoenix really a good thing? It's a negative for me. SD, LV, and SF are nice nearby, though. But that's it. LA doesn't have access to that many cities. Quality, yes. Quantity, no. And the whole saying of "quality over quantity" is true in most aspects, but I don't think so in this one.

And NYC is a good location in the BosWash corridor, but Philly and Baltimore are better positioned more in the middle.
Enjoy.
Sincerely: Palm trees, swimming pools, sunshine, mountains, ..................................Phoenix

Old 09-17-2016, 03:33 PM
BMI

7,262 posts, read 4,489,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Agreed. I think Syracuse is in a good location, especially compared to say Rochester. Besides Syracuse being closer to places like the Adirondacks and the Thousand Islands, Syracuse is also at a crossroads:

I-90 (New York State Thruway) goes east and west - Buffalo, Toronto, Cleveland to the west, with Albany, NYC and Boston to the east.

I-81 goes north and south - Ottawa and Montreal to the north, with Philadelphia, Baltimore and WDC to the south.
Agreed.

I'd also like the point out that FedEx Ground has major hub in Syracuse, for this thread looking where courier
companies have there hubs can be a good clue as to whether a city is at advantageous
location.

Old 09-17-2016, 04:08 PM

6,955 posts, read 14,086,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Agreed.

I'd also like the point out that FedEx Ground has major hub in Syracuse, for this thread looking where courier
companies have there hubs can be a good clue as to whether a city is at advantageous
location.
Louisville is UPS's air hub for the entire world.

Old 09-17-2016, 05:14 PM

6,312 posts, read 6,962,789 times
Lol @ the question. For me it's probably Wilmington, DE, cause I am a big fan of the entire NE corridor. On paper, I'd love to be right outside Philly, a very short train ride to Baltimore, a fairly short ride to NYC or DC.

Since we're all sharing about our city, Jax is also in a good spot. 45 min south is a tourist hot spot (St Augustine), 45 min north is a popular resort town (Amelia Island)
To the south it's 2 hours to Orlando, 3 hours to Tampa, and 5 to Miami. Northward you are 2 hours to Savannah, 4 hours to Charleston, 5 to Atlanta, 5 to Charlotte and 5 to Myrtle Beach.

Old 09-17-2016, 08:48 PM
_OT

2,142 posts, read 1,517,587 times
From this thread, it's pretty much every city in the US?

Old 09-18-2016, 08:55 AM

1,501 posts, read 2,322,930 times
I live in the Indy area. While not a fan of urban travel really, Indy is fairly close to other major cities. Chicago, Columbus, Cincinnati, Louisville, and St. Louis are within reasonable drives. Nashville, Lexington, Memphis, Detroit, Cleveland, Toronto and Knoxville could all be reached by driving an additional two to three hours.

Old 09-18-2016, 09:27 AM

9,422 posts, read 18,316,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Anywhere with a decent airport.
In terms of flying, Denver is one of the best having a hub airport within non-stops to just about any big city in the US and Caanada and also being well positioned to fly to the east or west coasts within a few hours. In terms of driving, Denver kinda sucks for road tripping to other cities outside of the Front Range corridor. Very isolated, as are Salt Lake City and ABQ.

Old 09-18-2016, 09:32 AM

15 posts, read 12,532 times
I think Philly is definitely up there. ~2 hour drive to Manhattan, Baltimore, DC. And then you also have Boston not too far away, and then Pittsburgh.

Old 09-18-2016, 09:39 AM

2,545 posts, read 1,633,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
In terms of flying, Denver is one of the best having a hub airport within non-stops to just about any big city in the US and Caanada and also being well positioned to fly to the east or west coasts within a few hours. In terms of driving, Denver kinda sucks for road tripping to other cities outside of the Front Range corridor. Very isolated, as are Salt Lake City and ABQ.
If we talk about flying, Chicago and Dallas would reign supreme.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or