U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2016, 01:51 PM

14 posts, read 27,275 times

Advertisements

I have often considered this question and came up with my ideally located city being Richmond, VA. The location is about 2 hours to the mountains and a little less to the beach. I google mapped driving times to places I like or would like to go, and they are:
6.5 hours to Savannah, GA
6 hrs to Charleston, SC
5.5 hrs to Pittsburgh
5.5 hrs to New York City
4.5 hrs to Philadelphia(Best city name)
2 hrs to D.C.

Someone else mentioned Boston as ideal, which I disagree with, having lived there. I did enjoy being able to go to Cape Cod beaches and Maine and New Hampshire(Best place), but did feel isolated to other cities. I also hated having to drive in and around New York City to go points south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2016, 01:58 PM

29,888 posts, read 27,333,728 times
Another vote here for Philly.

Old 09-23-2016, 06:14 AM

5,853 posts, read 6,524,415 times
On the basis of regional centrality, you can't beat Chicago in the sense that it really is located in the heart of the midwest. Plot out KC, StL, M/SP, Milw, Indy, Det, Cle, Cin, Col, on a map and then circle Chicago on it and draw lines connecting Chicago to the other cities, it really will appear like a spoke-and-wheel.

Also short 90 mile distance from Chicago to Milwaukee is, by far, the shortest distance between major cities anywhere in the midwest and nationally the only ones that are in such a category would be NYC-Phi, Phi-DC, Phi-Bal, DC-Bal and LA-SD.

It would be hard to argue that the midwest's premier city is the city most located at the region's core.

Old 09-23-2016, 12:42 PM

1,558 posts, read 2,391,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
If we talk about flying, Chicago and Dallas would reign supreme.

Agreed it was a big reason I moved to Dallas lots of flight competition keeps the fares reasonable and we have two great airports. Most locales in the country 2.5- 3 hour flight. Road trips are fairly reasonable here too except to the west. Does Ft. Worth Count?

Old 09-23-2016, 07:39 PM

2,545 posts, read 1,634,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taynxtlvl View Post
Agreed it was a big reason I moved to Dallas lots of flight competition keeps the fares reasonable and we have two great airports. Most locales in the country 2.5- 3 hour flight. Road trips are fairly reasonable here too except to the west. Does Ft. Worth Count?
Unfortunate, not many interesting places to drive to from Dallas. Austin and San Antonio are mildly interesting destinations.

Old 10-02-2016, 08:37 AM

143 posts, read 129,297 times
Like some others, I'd have to go with Philadelphia. No need to list cities you can fly to, as people are doing with other places...just within a few hours drive, you've got New York City and Washington/Baltimore. Or, since Philadelphia itself is a major city, you could pick a place like Wilmington, Delaware - then you've got Philadelphia right down the road, and the other two major metropolises I just listed well within a few hours drive. I'm not sure if that combination of major cities in close proximity can be beat anywhere in the world.

Another place to consider would be Albany, NY. It's within a few hours drive of NYC (south), Boston (east), and Montreal (north), plus a 5 hour drive to the west and you have Toronto. That's another a great combination of unique major metropolises to have driving access to.

Old 10-02-2016, 09:22 AM
PDF PDF started this thread

11,386 posts, read 10,510,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave120 View Post
Another place to consider would be Albany, NY. It's within a few hours drive of NYC (south), Boston (east), and Montreal (north), plus a 5 hour drive to the west and you have Toronto. That's another a great combination of unique major metropolises to have driving access to.
Ah, Albany. How could I forget. Good city and excellent location as well.

Old 10-02-2016, 10:42 AM

3,784 posts, read 2,999,426 times
Cleveland has the moniker "Best Location in the Nation", that is historic and was meant to draw up advertising interest, but it holds some truth as well...

Pittsburgh: 2:03
Columbus: 2:03
Detroit: 2:32
Buffalo: 2:52
Cincinnati: 3:36
Toronto: 4:25
Chicago: 5:02
Louisville: 5:01
Indianapolis: 4:49
Washington DC: 5:39
New York City: 6:52
Philadelphia: 6:16
Milwaukee: 6:19

In addition, it's interesting that Cleveland is about 7 hours exactly in each direction from a significant natural barrier:
The Mississippi River to the west
The High Peaks of the Great Smokies to the south
The Atlantic Ocean to the east
Lake Superior to the north

Old 10-02-2016, 10:53 AM

3,784 posts, read 2,999,426 times
In Florida itself, it's not bad as well, as one living in any of the major 4 cities in the state can reasonably make it to either of the other 3 in a weekend:

Tampa
Orlando: 1:14
Jacksonville: 3:03
Miami: 3:48

Jacksonville:
Tampa: 3:03
Orlando: 2:01
Miami: 4:48
However, Jacksonville being in the northern part of the state, has the advantage of being closer to other regions:
Atlanta: 4:42 (who would've thought closer than Miami? Not I)
Charlotte: 5:16
Raleigh: 6:09
DC: 9:43 (only FL city a comfortable day drive from the NE).

Orlando:
Tampa: 1:14
Jacksonville: 2:01
Miami: 3:12
(Nice and symmetric I suppose

Miami
Orlando: 3:12
Tampa: 3:48
Jacksonville: 4:48
Plain and simple, Miami is ISOLATED. Unless going to other parts of Florida, even for a long weekend, a plane ticket would be necessary here.

Old 10-02-2016, 10:55 AM

65 posts, read 38,280 times
Philly, Baltimore, and any city in the TX triangle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or