Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2016, 04:39 PM

2,253 posts, read 3,720,080 times

Advertisements

I'd say New Brunswick/Maine is probably the most similar, and either BC/Washington or Saskatchewan/Manitoba and North Dakota after that.

Quebec obviously differs very greatly from the US given the language difference.

The difference between Southern Ontario and Upstate NY/Michigan is a lot more stark than say BC/Washington State.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2016, 05:43 PM

93,249 posts, read 123,876,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Kensington View Post
I'd say New Brunswick/Maine is probably the most similar, and either BC/Washington or Saskatchewan/Manitoba and North Dakota after that.

Quebec obviously differs very greatly from the US given the language difference.

The difference between Southern Ontario and Upstate NY/Michigan is a lot more stark than say BC/Washington State.
I think the difference between Southern Ontario versus Michigan and Upstate NY is that Southern Ontario has Canada's most affluent area and economy. Quite a few people from that part of Ontario go into MI and Upstate NY quite a bit to shop, fly and for events/tourism.

Old 10-01-2016, 05:53 PM

7,079 posts, read 8,939,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Kensington View Post
I'd say New Brunswick/Maine is probably the most similar.
I will second that having spent so much time in Eastport Maine and being able to see Campobello Island from my Grandparent's kitchen window. My grandmother's parents came to Eastport from St. Stephen NB. People cross back and forth over the border all the time, they come from New Brunswick to shop at the Calais Wal-Mart, and go from Maine over to St. Stephen to skate at the ice rink or go to a bar in a country where the drinking age is 18. The tides institute in Eastport has a Maple Leaf Drop when it's midnight Atlantic time and a sardine drop at midnight eastern time on New Year's Eve. The Wabanaki nation exists on both sides of the border, Mic Macs, Passamaquoddys, etc.

Old 10-01-2016, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I think the difference between Southern Ontario versus Michigan and Upstate NY is that Southern Ontario has Canada's most affluent area and economy. Quite a few people from that part of Ontario go into MI and Upstate NY quite a bit to shop, fly and for events/tourism.
Yeah, Upstate NY is the peripheral region of New York State. The relationship between say, NYC and Syracuse in that sense is like Sudbury and Toronto, even though Syracuse and Sudbury are rather different cities.

Old 10-01-2016, 06:41 PM

While Minnesota and Manitoba are often viewed as similar it's really NW Ontario (Thunder Bay and Rainy River areas) that resembles Northern Minnesota more IMO.

Old 10-01-2016, 06:54 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,633,586 times
Detroit-Windsor is one of the biggest border contrasts anywhere. Not at all alike except in superficial ways.

Old 10-02-2016, 04:16 PM

Alberta and Montana seem rather different, in spite of sharing a mix of Rockies and Great Plains. Calgary and Edmonton EACH have more people than Montana. Denver is the US city that seems that most like Calgary.

Also the eastern third of Montana (that borders Saskatchewan) is VERY thinly populated, so Saskatchewan is probably more tied to western North Dakota (which at least has Minot, Williston etc.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.