U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2016, 03:22 PM

1,383 posts, read 1,688,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boulevardofdef View Post
Maybe this thread should have been titled "Desert Southwest vs. New England."

This is a very easy call to me, considering New England has always been my favorite region, I now live there, and I can't really see myself living in the Southwest. (I suppose there are circumstances where I'd try Arizona. Scottsdale was nice.)

But this isn't "which region is better," so let's do the criteria.

Politics? That's a matter of personal opinion, but for me, by far New England. The Southwest has Joe Arpaio. Yeah, New England has Paul LePage, but he's not at the same level, and he also represents one of the more sparsely populated areas.

Taxes? Definitely better in the Southwest, but it says something that the OP, despite being a "left-winger," listed this second. The attitude of taxes being the first or second most important thing about a place is connected with the sort of politics I don't really like in the Desert Southwest.

Lifestyle (common outdoor activities, regional traditions, etc.)? People don't want to be outdoors in New England in the winter, but they don't want to be outdoors in the Desert Southwest in the summer. I'm not quite sure about this one, but I'll give it to New England based on the population being healthier on average. According to this article, four of the six New England states are in the top 10 for health.
Arizona and New Mexico are complete opposites in most ways, especially when it comes to politics and views on taxes. You're taking the negatives of Arizona's political and fiscal slant and smearing New Mexico with them. Please don't.

And most of the population of New Mexico lives in areas where it is actually quite pleasant in summer. Most people in Albuquerque do want to be outside in the summer. Places like Albuquerque don't get so dangerously hot in the summer that people have to stay inside. We had a heatwave this summer and even still we had only 5 or 6 days of triple digit temps, which is twice the average of 3 such days per year. Phoenix was over a hundred degrees yesterday while Albuquerque reached 83, which was the same as many Northeastern cities got up to yesterday. The high for today in Albuquerque is supposed to be 85, Boston 81 and Phoenix 104. Our normal high in Albuquerque for this time of year is 80 degrees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2016, 03:30 PM

4,552 posts, read 3,633,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
Fun Fact; that old coot was born and raised in Springfield, MA.
Arpaio is a nut job and is the epitome of xenophobic history that shines way too well in Arizona's history. Fortunately he only operates in Maricopa county. Ask any Arizonan out of the GOP-infested Maricopa county and every Arizonan will have heated words to say about him. Lots in Maricopa as well, but Maricopa county keeps voting him in for a reason... they obviously like that nut job.

I also don't know why listing taxes where I did was important. To me it was a random list of defining characteristics of any region or jurisdiction. Taxes, and what they fund, are politically-intertwined. Politics in the Southwest are diverse, too dark red Phoenix and Texas to deep blue like Bisbee or Flagstaff... and purple like Albuquerque and Tucson. New Mexico arguably is the bluest if we are only speaking about state politics, both West Texas and the majority of Arizona are influenced by big cities in their jurisdictions that are not culturally like them what so ever. Only New Mexico is.

Old 09-18-2016, 03:34 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,160,209 times
Southwest and the Northeast are nothing alike in any way. Two different worlds.

Old 09-19-2016, 06:30 AM

18,913 posts, read 6,844,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
Arpaio is a nut job and is the epitome of xenophobic history that shines way too well in Arizona's history. Fortunately he only operates in Maricopa county. Ask any Arizonan out of the GOP-infested Maricopa county and every Arizonan will have heated words to say about him. Lots in Maricopa as well, but Maricopa county keeps voting him in for a reason... they obviously like that nut job.

I also don't know why listing taxes where I did was important. To me it was a random list of defining characteristics of any region or jurisdiction. Taxes, and what they fund, are politically-intertwined. Politics in the Southwest are diverse, too dark red Phoenix and Texas to deep blue like Bisbee or Flagstaff... and purple like Albuquerque and Tucson. New Mexico arguably is the bluest if we are only speaking about state politics, both West Texas and the majority of Arizona are influenced by big cities in their jurisdictions that are not culturally like them what so ever. Only New Mexico is.
Well I live in Maricopa county, in Phoenix proper, and always vote for Arpaio's opponent, so it's a thin majority

Old 09-19-2016, 01:27 PM

3,078 posts, read 2,109,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
Southwest and the Northeast are nothing alike in any way. Two different worlds.
Oh, I dunno. I've run into yocals in both places. They both have mountains. They both have extensive watersports communities. Drivers in both are bat $&*t crazy. In both places I've run into people who are not only unhelpful but downright rude when it comes to getting directions. Numerous things in both areas are named from native languages. Both can be stinky hot, NE with its humidity, SW because of the scorching sun.

I'm sure there are more, but those quickly came to mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or