U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2016, 04:49 PM

6,127 posts, read 6,444,228 times

Advertisements

South Dakota:

West River: scenery, lower humidity, better weather, less people, ranches

East River: more people, farms, flat, humid

West is best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2016, 08:48 PM

11,810 posts, read 18,796,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njmom66 View Post
And here is NJ
At least I now know from where "Jersey Shore" originates.

Old 09-22-2016, 09:39 AM

1,770 posts, read 2,137,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
I am from Colorado and until recently was living there but now in Arizona again.

https://www.cde.state.co.us/cdeedserv/rgmapage

Those are the regions of Colorado

#7. Pikes Peak Region which is Colorado Springs area: Libertarian, fiscally conservative, generic culture with great scenery, outdated, introverted. Some of the nicest weather in the state winter's that are as mild as other parts of the front range and some of the best summers in the nation besides the daily rain and occasional flooding the summer that Denver doesn't get as much.

To the regions credit is does have a city in the mountains feel to it. It is also very lush by western city standards in the summer. One of the few larger cities in the nation where many people don't have air conditioning and the summer nights tend to be in the lower and mid 50s.
Fairly spot-on assessment in my opinion. Pueblo considers themselves part of the Pike Peak Region as well. Good job.

Old 09-22-2016, 10:08 AM

7,131 posts, read 9,901,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Massachusetts has
1) Greater Boston (any town within 128, and on the watershed on inner Boston Harbor)
2) The North Shore (Lynn-Newbury), really quite diverse, from Lynn, one of the poorer cities in the state to Manchester, one of the richest, the only tie they have is the Atlantic Ocean
3) Merrimack Valley: includes all the mill towns along or along tributaries of the Merrimack River. Almost entirely working/middle class, except for Andover. Newburyport/Salisbury is sometimes lumped in with the Merrimack Valley sometimes with the North Shore,
4) Metrowest: Between Rt. 2 and 95, the richest part of the State.
5) South Shore: the southern areas along Massachsetts bay to the Cape Cod Canal, less urban than the North Shore
6) Cape Cod and the Islands, anything east of the Canal, vacationland.
7) South Coast: From the Canal to Rt. 95 along Buzzards Bay/Atlantic Ocean/Narragansett bay. Includes Fall River and New Bedford
8) Central Mass- anything between 495 and the CT River Valley
9) Western Mass: The Connecticut River Valley, were people actually live in the Western part of the state.
10) Berkshires: Anything between the NYS line and the CT Valley, almost entirely rural.
I have no clue what the Taunton/Brockton area would be called, its kind of a hole between the South Coast, South Shore and the Boston area.
NYS has
1) Long Island (Suffolk+Nassau County)
2) NYC
3) Hudson Valley, North of Westchester to Albany
4) Adirondacks: basically no one lives there, but pretty much Albany to Canada, west to almost Lake Ontario
5) CNY: Syracuse/Watertown area
6) Southern Tier: areas along the PA border
7) Western NY: Buffalo+Rochester metro regions the Finger lakes are generally considered a region, but are split between CNY and WNY.
These are more of a list than a ranking.
I used to think the South Shore of Massachusetts is the area where the cities of Fall River and New Bedford are. But now I realize that is the South Coast, like you say.

Massachusetts has an very interesting coastline, especially when you consider the size of the state. So does Rhode Island as Boulevardofdef pointed out.

Old 09-22-2016, 11:51 AM

1,586 posts, read 1,539,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
I used to think the South Shore of Massachusetts is the area where the cities of Fall River and New Bedford are. But now I realize that is the South Coast, like you say.
As I understand, "South Coast" is actually a fairly recent marketing term, going back only about 20 years. That area used to be just "Greater New Bedford" or "New Bedford-Fall River," but local media decided to start using "South Coast" to avoid the negative stigma of both New Bedford and Fall River. It seems to have caught on pretty widely.

Old 09-22-2016, 02:13 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,225,773 times
Missouri can be broken down into the Northern Plains (which Kansas City, Columbia, and St. Louis are a part of), the Ozarks, and the bootheel. The Ozark section of the state tends to be very poor, sparsely populated with the exceptions of Rolla, Springfield, and Joplin. Then there's the Southeastern part of the state: Cape Girardeau and the bootheel. I would rank the Southeastern portion the lowest. The Ozarks are nice for scenery but not much else so I would rank them number 2. I'd rank the Northern Plains number 1 since they contain the state's two largest cities, KC and STL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or