U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2016, 12:15 PM

11,159 posts, read 20,444,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeGer View Post
Aren't there dumpster divers? They usually get their food that way don't they?
I used to work at a convenience store chain here in town, and when we threw away expired sandwiches, we had to open the packages and mix them with trash (usually the nasty manager's nasty ashtray mess) because she was totally sure the dumpster divers were going to eat the sandwiches and sue the store.

She also screamed at me for an hour because I bought food for a little kid who came in begging...she said the store would be overrun with beggars if we started feeding them, even the little ones because they started young in that neighborhood. I found another job after that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2016, 04:06 PM

1,415 posts, read 1,874,534 times
I'm sure they know the ingredients of each item. It still seems a problem to be solved. Someone who eats the bagel when bought can sued them also for God's knows what. So what's the difference.

Old 09-19-2016, 05:03 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,434,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEM-Texas View Post
I was in Target in the evening and saw a young employee taking all the muffins and bagels out of the display case and throwing them in the trash.
Items in the display case have been exposed to the public. Stores and restaurant are not permitted to reuse or donate these items (and yes, I see the irony in being allowed to sell them).

Old 09-19-2016, 05:24 PM

2,721 posts, read 3,426,902 times
Default It is a ridiculous waste of wealth,

Tragically.....A huge waste alright, there may be enough ,probably enough, discarded food produced in these United States, coast to coast daily, to feed all of Haiti fried chicken and potato salad.

This abundance is fantastic. Too much food.

Old 09-19-2016, 06:39 PM

14,626 posts, read 31,210,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
Tragically.....A huge waste alright, there may be enough ,probably enough, discarded food produced in these United States, coast to coast daily, to feed all of Haiti fried chicken and potato salad.

This abundance is fantastic. Too much food.
But what about the vegan Haitians? The low carb Haitians?

Old 09-19-2016, 06:59 PM

37,962 posts, read 55,708,171 times
We all know how much food is wasted in the US. This is not really a San Antonio phenomenon - it's happening all across the US.
This explains why the stores are "overstocked":
Retail
and this, why wasted food doesn’t get to poor people:
Why Don't Some Grocery Stores Donate Food To Poor People - Business Insider

It's a sad circle.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 09-20-2016, 06:44 AM

1,290 posts, read 1,123,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
So if you're poor and starving you deserve to die of a nut allergy?

The idea that because someone is poor they should just take what they get, even if it makes them ill, is what is wrong with society.

I agree I hate to see waste, but any food given has to be labelled appropriately and verified. That's why we have health and safety laws. They protect all, not just those that can afford to be choosey.

There definitely needs to be a better balance so less is wasted, but the idea that poor people don't deserve the same level of health and safety in their foods isn't representative a positive society either.
Yeah you are arguing against a massive straw man here.

Old 09-20-2016, 08:49 AM

8,958 posts, read 4,099,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEM-Texas View Post

Stupid and wrong.

I once saw HEB throwing away their roast chickens. Inquiring I was told that they used to give it to the shelters but once someone got sick and they were sued so that stopped.

What a society we live in.
This is the problem. Most grocery stores used to donate their waste, but because of lawsuits today they throw it away. It's really, really sad.

Old 09-20-2016, 06:17 PM

4,480 posts, read 2,661,399 times
We have asinine liability laws in the US. This sort of thing is a good illustration.

As for the peanut allergy people, here's a thought...don't eat donated, unlabelled food, but don't cause other people to starve either. My god.

Old 09-21-2016, 01:09 AM

13,420 posts, read 16,950,133 times
You can thank the lawyers. The threat of lawsuits is why all otherwise perfectly decent food is thrown out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or