U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2016, 02:17 PM

7,703 posts, read 4,562,015 times

Advertisements

What suburbs do you think typify the ideal American suburb?

While I personally prefer dense, walkable suburbs, I recognize that their form is more urban area outside of city center, than truly SUBurban. As far as those suburbs which are truly suburban in form, I think I'm partial to Chicagoland and NoVA . I think Schaumburg, IL is probably the template for Anyburb, USA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2016, 02:31 PM

23,067 posts, read 35,020,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post

While I personally prefer dense, walkable suburbs, I recognize that their form is more urban area outside of city center, than truly SUBurban. As far as those suburbs which are truly suburban in form, I think I'm partial to Chicagoland and NoVA . I think Schaumburg, IL is probably the template for Anyburb, USA
I totally agree with your choices, particularly the Chicagoland suburbs. I love them. I like a suburb with a small central commercial area that retains that small town feel. NYC has a gazillion of these as well, of course. When I lived there, it was my dream to move from Brooklyn to Pound Ridge with my husband and three children. But any of those suburbs to the north and NE of NYC would have worked for me. So much beauty up there.

Old 09-19-2016, 02:32 PM

3,961 posts, read 3,490,733 times
Quote:

You'll have to introduce me to the part of Schaumburg that is walkable. The Schaumburg I know is a suburban mid rise office park with a 40 year old upscale shopping center and 10 lane freeways. At around 3800ppsm it is more dense than most suburbs but I wouldn't say it's a gold standard. But in fairness I've never explored it outside of my business travels so I don't know much about what lies past the 1st Half mile off of the Ike.

I think of Royal Oak outside of Detroit. I also think of anything in Hudson County NJ, but that area is more urban than most US cities so I don't know if it would count.

Old 09-19-2016, 02:35 PM

7,703 posts, read 4,562,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
You'll have to introduce me to the part of Schaumburg that is walkable. The Schaumburg I know is a suburban mid rise office park with a 40 year old upscale shopping center and 10 lane freeways. At around 3800ppsm it is more dense than most suburbs but I wouldn't say it's a gold standard. But in fairness I've never explored it outside of my business travels so I don't know much about what lies past the 1st Half mile off of the Ike.
It isn't walkable at all. Sorry I wasn't clear. My preference is walkable. I'd do Oak Park or Evansville before I did Schaumburg, but Schaumburg is more like the perfect, generic suburban template. I don't mean that as an insult. If I had to live in that sort of burb, I'd be happy in that town.

Old 09-19-2016, 03:15 PM

4,266 posts, read 6,345,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post

I think of Royal Oak outside of Detroit. I also think of anything in Hudson County NJ, but that area is more urban than most US cities so I don't know if it would count.
I'd go more for Essex county than Hudson. Essex suburbs are about as typcially suburban as any you'll find. Places like Glen Ridge, Montclair, Essex Fells, South Orange, Maplewood, Millburn, Verona, are all on or very close to suburban commuter lines, are mostly older-well-kept single family homes, have middle- to upper-middle class demographics (and the good public schools that implies), good parks and public amenities, and most have nice walkable centers that aren't dominated by chain stores.

Old 09-19-2016, 03:28 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,401,284 times
I enjoy Grandview Heights, Ohio. It has a quality school district, a cute commercial strip, proximity to downtown/the urban core of Columbus yet also has tree lined streets and attractive single family homes.

Old 09-19-2016, 03:45 PM

1,290 posts, read 1,124,669 times
There's post-war, small homes, small strip center first ring burbs.

Then there are the 1970s-1980s cul de sac, split-level homes, Mall-centric suburbs (Schaumburg).

Then there are the newer suburbs which re-introduce concepts like walkable retail development and larger homes on smaller lots, sometimes even going back to the early 20th century small setbacks with sidewalks and garage is behind the homes accessible by alleyways.

Finally, there are those suburbs that used to be independent small towns which have been engulfed by larger metro development. These are the ones with a walkable downtown, older housing stock near that downtown and newer sprawl residential development on the outskirts. Think of Naperville, Libertyville.

Old 09-19-2016, 04:07 PM

56,593 posts, read 80,870,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr roboto View Post
There's post-war, small homes, small strip center first ring burbs.

Then there are the 1970s-1980s cul de sac, split-level homes, Mall-centric suburbs (Schaumburg).

Then there are the newer suburbs which re-introduce concepts like walkable retail development and larger homes on smaller lots, sometimes even going back to the early 20th century small setbacks with sidewalks and garage is behind the homes accessible by alleyways.

Finally, there are those suburbs that used to be independent small towns which have been engulfed by larger metro development. These are the ones with a walkable downtown, older housing stock near that downtown and newer sprawl residential development on the outskirts. Think of Naperville, Libertyville.
The latter part of this reminds me of suburban areas in Upstate NY where there is a village and stereotypical suburbia in the same area. Some parts of this area may have older suburbia on a grid, but will also have newer, cul-de-sac and planned community suburbia as well. So, you can find suburban areas/school districts with a range of suburban neighborhoods. Liverpool, North Syracuse, Pittsford, Fairport, New Hartford, Williamsville, Orchard Park and Horseheads are some examples of this.

Old 09-21-2016, 07:41 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,235,580 times
Quote:

Hinsdale, Western Springs, and La Grange illinois, Lexington, MA, Madison, NJ, Birmingham, MI , Winnetka, IL , Evanston, IL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or