U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Hottest state?
Texas 46 25.14%
Louisiana 6 3.28%
Alabama 0 0%
Mississsippi 3 1.64%
Georgia 1 0.55%
Florida 42 22.95%
South Carolina 2 1.09%
Arizona 80 43.72%
New Mexico 1 0.55%
Arkansas 2 1.09%
Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 05:48 AM

44,738 posts, read 36,145,910 times

Advertisements

It's 55 degrees here this morning in northeast Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2016, 11:23 AM

4,853 posts, read 2,980,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
It's 55 degrees here this morning in northeast Texas.
67 here. Not sure if Dallas is your reference point, because if you're more towards the panhandle I'd imagine it's quite a bit colder, but looks like 80 in Dallas.

Old 09-28-2016, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Right on - and we get to break those out in November and wear them through March.

And we can usually forego the big, bulky coat and gloves and hat during that time too. That being said, I've gone to some Friday night football games that were really cold and that required a coat and gloves and hat, but that was after dark. That's all I ever want of that bidness!
Yeah, I love dressing up for winter. To each their own.

Old 09-28-2016, 03:32 PM

8,114 posts, read 17,323,570 times
I say Louisiana, here's why. You have to consider the entire state per criteria. Florida can offer a lot more costal relief because of a lot more shoreline. Louisiana's coast is comparably much smaller, with less people inhabiting the areas around the Gulf of Mexico. Second, Louisiana's highest point is just a tad over 500 feet, so there is no real cooler elevation to escape to. Third, the land area to consider as a whole is much smaller than Texas. Texas is too big to be generalized. Dalhart Texas, in the panhandle, is closer to North Dakota than it is to Brownsville at the bottom of the state. Texas panhandle winters are brutal. Also, elevation in west Texas cools this region down considerably in the winter. Louisiana has a much smaller footprint, with much less coast, and much less change in elevation. Plus, you compound this with ever present humidity, and logically, I conclude that Louisiana is the hottest state, factoring in for year round consideration.

Old 09-28-2016, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
67 here. Not sure if Dallas is your reference point, because if you're more towards the panhandle I'd imagine it's quite a bit colder, but looks like 80 in Dallas.
I'm near Tyler. Northeast Texas. It was 55 this morning when I got up. It got to about 82 today. Beautiful day.

Old 09-28-2016, 06:12 PM

4,552 posts, read 3,639,169 times
Quote:
I totally get what you're saying about Arizona. Which is an interesting state, by the way. I haven't been there in awhile and I'm feeling a little trip coming on.

And yes, believe it or not, New Orleans in July is even worse than New Orleans in June! And don't get me wrong - I LOVE New Orleans. But damn.
Well depending on when you visit, Sedona in the fall is amazing! Nothing like red rocks AND red leaves. I'm biased towards the "Green Belt" of Arizona, which is Flag, Sedona, Prescott, Payson, etc. all great little towns. But more for camping, nonetheless, except for Sedona.

If you come in the winter... now this is when you should visit Tucson! It's amazing seeing a snow-capped Mount Lemmon, along with all the other snow-capped mountains out here. In some of the valleys here in the SE corner of the state it will snow where the saguaros are, now that's a pretty site.

This guy has an amazing album of that. Almost all of these are in Sabino Canyon (in Tucson proper) and the Rincons (East Tucson). It's hard to plan for this event but generally it happens around New Years:

Snapseeded: SNOW in Tucson! School, Sabino Canyon, and Saguaro National Park

This doesn't happen in Phoenix due to lower elevation.

Spring is the best time to visit the Sonora due to the cacti blooming. Very pretty, anything that's green turns colorful! Haha even the palo verdes turn yellow.

Don't come in the summer, but you know that.

Old 09-29-2016, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
Well depending on when you visit, Sedona in the fall is amazing! Nothing like red rocks AND red leaves. I'm biased towards the "Green Belt" of Arizona, which is Flag, Sedona, Prescott, Payson, etc. all great little towns. But more for camping, nonetheless, except for Sedona.

If you come in the winter... now this is when you should visit Tucson! It's amazing seeing a snow-capped Mount Lemmon, along with all the other snow-capped mountains out here. In some of the valleys here in the SE corner of the state it will snow where the saguaros are, now that's a pretty site.

This guy has an amazing album of that. Almost all of these are in Sabino Canyon (in Tucson proper) and the Rincons (East Tucson). It's hard to plan for this event but generally it happens around New Years:

Snapseeded: SNOW in Tucson! School, Sabino Canyon, and Saguaro National Park

This doesn't happen in Phoenix due to lower elevation.

Spring is the best time to visit the Sonora due to the cacti blooming. Very pretty, anything that's green turns colorful! Haha even the palo verdes turn yellow.

Don't come in the summer, but you know that.
I think Arizona is gorgeous. I wish it rained more though, could say the same about Cali.

Old 09-29-2016, 08:22 AM

Quote:
I'm near Tyler. Northeast Texas. It was 55 this morning when I got up. It got to about 82 today. Beautiful day.
It is actually 6 degrees cooler in Tyler at this very moment than in DC. Of course, our highs this weekend will be in the 60's, looks like Tyler touches 90.

Old 09-29-2016, 06:45 PM

4,552 posts, read 3,639,169 times
Quote:
I think Arizona is gorgeous. I wish it rained more though, could say the same about Cali.
I agree. I love the rain and it happens so rarely. We usually have a good monsoon period of about a month and a half during July and August, but that didn't happen this year it was such a joke. "Nonsoon" season as we called it.

I wouldn't mind if it rained every day here. That's one thing I'm jealous about the South, the storms. But everything else, I'll pass lol. Well southern food and southern attitudes are nice, ok now everything else I'll skip lol.

Old 09-30-2016, 05:31 AM

Quote:
It is actually 6 degrees cooler in Tyler at this very moment than in DC. Of course, our highs this weekend will be in the 60's, looks like Tyler touches 90.
Actually for the next ten days in Tyler, it's only supposed to "touch" 90 one day (this upcoming Tuesday). The rest of the next ten days will see highs in the mid 80s, which to most folks around here is perfect early fall weather. I know it's perfect to me!

https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/USTX1383:1:US

Love me some sunny fall days with lows in the 50s and highs in what we consider to be very mild weather, the mid 80s.

It's 54 degrees outside right now. Sweet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or