U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Hottest state?
Texas 46 25.14%
Louisiana 6 3.28%
Alabama 0 0%
Mississsippi 3 1.64%
Georgia 1 0.55%
Florida 42 22.95%
South Carolina 2 1.09%
Arizona 80 43.72%
New Mexico 1 0.55%
Arkansas 2 1.09%
Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2016, 06:28 AM

4,853 posts, read 2,978,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Actually for the next ten days in Tyler, it's only supposed to "touch" 90 one day (this upcoming Tuesday). The rest of the next ten days will see highs in the mid 80s, which to most folks around here is perfect early fall weather. I know it's perfect to me!

https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/USTX1383:1:US

Love me some sunny fall days with lows in the 50s and highs in what we consider to be very mild weather, the mid 80s.

It's 54 degrees outside right now. Sweet.
Mid 80's are comfy to most, getting warm to me, but I could deal with it. Above 88, and I wilt. I'm just made for cold weather I guess.

Our highest temp in the next 14 days is 77 degrees. In heaven.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2016, 10:18 AM

44,713 posts, read 36,132,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Mid 80's are comfy to most, getting warm to me, but I could deal with it. Above 88, and I wilt. I'm just made for cold weather I guess.

Our highest temp in the next 14 days is 77 degrees. In heaven.

I like the sound of that too, but I actually don't even feel hot till it gets over about 95 degrees, and above 90 if the humidity is high. Eighties and seventies and sixties are perfect weather days to me.

Born and raised in the south, and I think that has me acclimated to warmer temps. I had some friends come down from Michigan once as we went to Panama City, Florida. We TOLD them to take it easy, but they didn't listen - apparently the breeze off the ocean lulled them into a false sense of security.

They were in their hotel rooms with heat exhaustion from day 2 till about day 4. The highs were about 90, but they just weren't used to that weather.

Old 09-30-2016, 10:27 AM

Quote:
I like the sound of that too, but I actually don't even feel hot till it gets over about 95 degrees, and above 90 if the humidity is high. Eighties and seventies and sixties are perfect weather days to me.

Born and raised in the south, and I think that has me acclimated to warmer temps. I had some friends come down from Michigan once as we went to Panama City, Florida. We TOLD them to take it easy, but they didn't listen - apparently the breeze off the ocean lulled them into a false sense of security.

They were in their hotel rooms with heat exhaustion from day 2 till about day 4. The highs were about 90, but they just weren't used to that weather.
30 year Texas resident. I think the older I get, the more it bothered me. A big reason why I left. I will probably tire of the cold one day as well.

Oh well, good weather ahead for both states for the next few months.

Old 09-30-2016, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
30 year Texas resident. I think the older I get, the more it bothered me. A big reason why I left. I will probably tire of the cold one day as well.

Oh well, good weather ahead for both states for the next few months.
LOL 25 year Texas resident here, and I appreciate the mild winters more every year!

Look, Texas is hotter than Hades in the summer, and most would agree that it's hot - hotter than is comfortable outside - from mid June through at least mid September in Texas. That's three months of pretty incessant heat and that gets to some people more than it does others. And that's OK. But honestly, to me, it's just not uncomfortably hot from late September to early June, and that's 9 months out of the year when I really love Texas weather. I'm fine with that.

It just doesn't bother me, except for a couple of smallish points.

1) Outdoor activities are pretty much out for me, other than swimming, in July and August, though we usually take the boat out and enjoy ourselves through around the middle of July and then start back again the end of September. But we don't even take the boat out from about the middle of July through the middle of September.

But to me that's no different than people in other regions admitting that they don't do a lot of outdoor activities in January and February because of extremely cold/rainy/icy/snowy winter weather. See, to me it's a tradeoff, because around here, January and February are pleasant.

2) Electric and water bills are both high in August and September. Not so bad till then but they do spike up for those two months. Once again, it's a tradeoff because they are almost ridiculously low from November through May. We have gas heat (and hot water and stove) and even the gas bill in January and February is minimal - more than it is other months of course, but usually no more than $80 and we have a 2500 square foot house (meanwhile, our electric bill dips wayyyyyy down).

But yeah, I'm about to pay the electric and water bills for mid August through mid September and they're always the highest of the year. I have to remind myself of just how low they are in the winter and spring to make myself feel better.

Old 09-30-2016, 01:20 PM

Quote:
LOL 25 year Texas resident here, and I appreciate the mild winters more every year!

Look, Texas is hotter than Hades in the summer, and most would agree that it's hot - hotter than is comfortable outside - from mid June through at least mid September in Texas. That's three months of pretty incessant heat and that gets to some people more than it does others. And that's OK. But honestly, to me, it's just not uncomfortably hot from late September to early June, and that's 9 months out of the year when I really love Texas weather. I'm fine with that.

It just doesn't bother me, except for a couple of smallish points.

1) Outdoor activities are pretty much out for me, other than swimming, in July and August, though we usually take the boat out and enjoy ourselves through around the middle of July and then start back again the end of September. But we don't even take the boat out from about the middle of July through the middle of September.

But to me that's no different than people in other regions admitting that they don't do a lot of outdoor activities in January and February because of extremely cold/rainy/icy/snowy winter weather. See, to me it's a tradeoff, because around here, January and February are pleasant.

2) Electric and water bills are both high in August and September. Not so bad till then but they do spike up for those two months. Once again, it's a tradeoff because they are almost ridiculously low from November through May. We have gas heat (and hot water and stove) and even the gas bill in January and February is minimal - more than it is other months of course, but usually no more than $80 and we have a 2500 square foot house (meanwhile, our electric bill dips wayyyyyy down).

But yeah, I'm about to pay the electric and water bills for mid August through mid September and they're always the highest of the year. I have to remind myself of just how low they are in the winter and spring to make myself feel better.
Pretty much. The two things that irk me:

1. You get that nice cold front in early September and you're so excited, thinking "wow, summer is over, we just powered through it. And then, it's 92 degrees next week."

2. Warm holidays. 80 degree Turkey days can happen. Comfortable? Yeah, I guess, but still just oft-putting.

So, I wanted to escape to a place with 4 seasons. So far, the winter here isn't bad. I lived in CC and Austin, so not quite Tyler.

Old 09-30-2016, 01:45 PM

80 degree Thanksgivings (or even Halloweens) are rare. Sure they CAN happen, but big ice storms CAN happen in other locations in October or November so I think it's best to stick with what's normal.

What's normal is this:

Average highs in November in northeast Texas (Tyler area) is 68. Now, that's the HIGH and it stands to reason that the high is going to go lower as the month progresses. It's usually in the low 60s on Thanksgiving Day around here. The average low in November is 46.

Average high in December is 58 with the average low being about 38.
Climate Tyler - Texas and Weather averages Tyler

It's been sweater weather on Christmas here, but it's also been cold. Like I said earlier, a couple of years ago, it snowed on Christmas Day. In fact, we were with family in Fort Worth and looked outside and realized, "We better get home!" because as you probably know, folks in most of Texas don't know how to drive in snow!

Old 10-04-2016, 07:34 AM

6,852 posts, read 7,797,618 times
Good grief! Temps in Houston for four of the next five days are forecasted to reach the 90s (the outlier being a balmy day at 89 degrees).

Old 10-04-2016, 09:07 AM

4,552 posts, read 3,637,492 times
Arizona STILL should not be winning this poll. It says hottest STATE, not hottest CITY. That is all.

Old 10-04-2016, 10:19 AM

3,618 posts, read 1,565,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Good grief! Temps in Houston for four of the next five days are forecasted to reach the 90s (the outlier being a balmy day at 89 degrees).
Is it humid? Sounds nice to me actually if dew points are comfortable, more time outside with the pool and barbecuing and their november will probably be nice and still warm, most places november months are pretty depressing with the time change and cold nights and less sunlight and grey dead look kicking in.

It's better than highs of high in the the 50's and 60's and lows in the 40's and 30's at night . 6 and 5 and 4:30 pm sunsets ,cold nights are right around the corner for alot of people. If a warm october is the price to pay for a nice mild winter, I would pay it

Old 10-04-2016, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
That's what I've been trying to say, but unfortunately we come off like jerks when we do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or