U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Hottest state?
Texas 46 25.14%
Louisiana 6 3.28%
Alabama 0 0%
Mississsippi 3 1.64%
Georgia 1 0.55%
Florida 42 22.95%
South Carolina 2 1.09%
Arizona 80 43.72%
New Mexico 1 0.55%
Arkansas 2 1.09%
Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2016, 07:53 AM

4,849 posts, read 2,978,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Meanwhile, yesterday's high in Tyler, Texas was a balmy 78 and the lows were in the low 50s. Today is much of the same, with abundant sunlight. GORGEOUS fall weather here! And no, we're not in the upper west Panhandle - we're parallel with Shreveport LA, Jackson MS, and Montgomery AL.
High in Tyler today will be 86. Houston and Dallas will both touch 90 this week. High of 89 in Tyler this weekend. That feels like summer, not fall to me. Now, if you want to say it'll be 60 degrees at midnight tonight in most of Texas, probably true.

High of 64 in DC today. Hottest this week will get is 74. That feels like fall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2016, 08:23 AM

18,927 posts, read 6,856,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
High in Tyler today will be 86. Houston and Dallas will both touch 90 this week. High of 89 in Tyler this weekend. That feels like summer, not fall to me. Now, if you want to say it'll be 60 degrees at midnight tonight in most of Texas, probably true.

64,74? That is winter weather here, cool fall is just a stereotype that only conforms to mainly Continental and Oceanic climates, seems mainly New England/Euro-centric based; what "feels like" fall will be different in different climates

Old 10-10-2016, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
64,74? That is winter weather here, cool fall is just a stereotype that only conforms to mainly Continental and Oceanic climates, seems mainly New England/Euro-centric based; what "feels like" fall will be different in different climates
Short sleeve in winter?

Old 10-10-2016, 02:39 PM

18,927 posts, read 6,856,300 times
Quote:
Short sleeve in winter?
Typically in winter, I will still wear shorts, and will wear a light windbreaker in the morning, and be in a T-Shirt most afternoons. From Nov 21st to March 10th (what I consider winter) our normal high goes from 76 down to 65 then back up to 77; while our normal low goes from 52 down to 43 then back up to 53. Our coolest low of the year is usually around 32-33, and our coolest high temp most years is around 53-54. The coolest low we've had since I moved here in 2001 has been 29 and the coolest high has been 43, but both are VERY rare

Old 10-10-2016, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Typically in winter, I will still wear shorts, and will wear a light windbreaker in the morning, and be in a T-Shirt most afternoons. From Nov 21st to March 10th (what I consider winter) our normal high goes from 76 down to 65 then back up to 77; while our normal low goes from 52 down to 43 then back up to 53. Our coolest low of the year is usually around 32-33, and our coolest high temp most years is around 53-54. The coolest low we've had since I moved here in 2001 has been 29 and the coolest high has been 43, but both are VERY rare
That's what makes this country great. Big and diverse. 60 is fall weather to me.

Old 10-11-2016, 06:15 AM

Sizzling Cities ranked – our new Heat Index – Bert Sperling – searching for the Best Places

Old 10-13-2016, 07:10 AM

44,695 posts, read 36,132,256 times
Quote:

You do know I live in Tyler, right?

Not a day of 90 degree weather (or "touching" it as you like to say) over the past week:

Tyler Texas Weather - Providing real-time weather information to Tyler, Smith County, and East Texas

https://weather.com/weather/monthly/...+USTX1383:1:US

Or forecast for the remainder of October either, for that matter. I don't know what your goal is in all this banter, by the way. Is it hotter here than it is in DC? Of course - we're further south. Is it miserable here in October? Not to me - not by a long shot. If it would be to you, then coming here is easy enough to avoid. Just don't do it.

To me, this weather here feels like fall - it feels like fall in Texas, which is what I expect and what I like. Once again - to each his or her own.

I'm glad you're happy where you live. And I'm glad I'm happy where I live. And the more you post, the more glad I am that those two points on the map are far from each other.

And by the way, I love our Halloween weather - we never have to worry about having to wear a coat over a costume - LOL. Halloween evenings are without exception beautiful - usually in the 60s which is perfect. Daytime highs in the 70s. We can be a flapper or a mummy - either extreme feels great. I wouldn't recommend dressing up as a grizzly bear though.

Old 10-13-2016, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
You do know I live in Tyler, right?

Not a day of 90 degree weather (or "touching" it as you like to say) over the past week:

Tyler Texas Weather - Providing real-time weather information to Tyler, Smith County, and East Texas

https://weather.com/weather/monthly/...+USTX1383:1:US

Or forecast for the remainder of October either, for that matter. I don't know what your goal is in all this banter, by the way. Is it hotter here than it is in DC? Of course - we're further south. Is it miserable here in October? Not to me - not by a long shot. If it would be to you, then coming here is easy enough to avoid. Just don't do it.

To me, this weather here feels like fall - it feels like fall in Texas, which is what I expect and what I like. Once again - to each his or her own.

I'm glad you're happy where you live. And I'm glad I'm happy where I live. And the more you post, the more glad I am that those two points on the map are far from each other.

And by the way, I love our Halloween weather - we never have to worry about having to wear a coat over a costume - LOL. Halloween evenings are without exception beautiful - usually in the 60s which is perfect. Daytime highs in the 70s. We can be a flapper or a mummy - either extreme feels great. I wouldn't recommend dressing up as a grizzly bear though.
Right, I understand you live in Tyler which is why I mentioned Tyler. Otherwise, I would have no reason to mention Tyler. Your high on Tuesday the 18th is 88 degrees. If that's comfortable to you, great. It's warm to me though, and that's ok to.

And, it really doesn't have to be as contentious as you're making it seem. "The more I post the more glad you are that we are far away?" Creepy and odd. "coming here is easy to avoid?" Well yes. Everywhere is easy to avoid. I'm not really insulting your state, it's actually my home state as well. To each their own.

Old 10-13-2016, 09:15 AM

6,851 posts, read 7,797,618 times
Highs in Houston are forecasted at 90 or within a degree or two (with high humidity) through next Tuesday. In fact, there has not been a single day this month that Houston's high temps were in the 70s. I've seen posters here claim that Houston's summers are only 4 months. The actual data, however, offers some evidence that that claim may not be true for all residents. Like you, Gaylord, my internal thermostat runs on the low end, so I tend to thrive once temps run from the 70s to the 50s (which is why we vacation in Maine each October rather than the Caribbean).

I've never understood posters who make weather preferences such a contentious issue. The temps and humidity are objective measures. How we experience them, however, varies from person to person. What's to argue? And why fear living close to someone with different seasonal preferences? The logic of that claim in particular seems a touch faulty.

Old 10-13-2016, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Highs in Houston are forecasted at 90 or within a degree or two (with high humidity) through next Tuesday. In fact, there has not been a single day this month that Houston's high temps were in the 70s. I've seen posters here claim that Houston's summers are only 4 months. The actual data, however, offers some evidence that that claim may not be true for all residents. Like you, Gaylord, my internal thermostat runs on the low end, so I tend to thrive once temps run from the 70s to the 50s (which is why we vacation in Maine each October rather than the Caribbean).

I've never understood posters who make weather preferences such a contentious issue. The temps and humidity are objective measures. How we experience them, however, varies from person to person. What's to argue? And why fear living close to someone with different seasonal preferences? The logic of that claim in particular seems a touch faulty.
This! The original premise of the post has been about hottest state. Weather, specifically, comfort in it is subjective. Texans seem to be super comfortable in 85-90 degree weather and consider it fall. I consider 60-80 degree highs as fall, not summer or winter. Just a difference of opinion. But 88 degrees and 70% humidity is an objective measure, no other way around it.

Definitely agree with the Houston summers are only 4 months point. I have to disagree with Houstonians. 88-91 degrees is still summer to most other parts of the country. As late as October 18th, a lot of Texas will be in the high 80's. To me it's hot, to others, apparently it's fall.

"Don't come," "glad you're not here" "if you don't like it stay away" "Please just stay there" have been echoed in this thread. It's a lack of civility and unnecessary escalation. This wasn't an insult Texas weather thread. Me saying 87 degrees does not feel like fall is not an attack on the state. It's subjective, so Kathryn is right on that point.

Texas is a great state. Just too hot for my taste, no more no less. Like your posts Pine to vine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or