Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Hottest state?
Texas 70 22.65%
Louisiana 11 3.56%
Alabama 3 0.97%
Mississsippi 3 0.97%
Georgia 2 0.65%
Florida 67 21.68%
South Carolina 3 0.97%
Arizona 144 46.60%
New Mexico 3 0.97%
Arkansas 3 0.97%
Voters: 309. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2016, 06:24 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,439,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krisps View Post
I don't understand the obsession with hot weather that some C-D posters have. I think hot is miserable and depressing; I crave "pants and sweatshirt" weather.
It's not necessarily hot, but just not cold. I find temps between 50-95 if dry, 50-80 if humid, to be ideal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2016, 07:05 AM

12,734 posts, read 9,363,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Exactly, I don't understand the obsession with cold weather that some C-D posters have. I think cold is miserable and depressing; I crave "shorts and t-shirt" weather
I don't consider 60 cold. Still short sleeves for me. I don't understand why I prefer seasons TBH. It's like a signal of a change I guess? Sure, 70 degrees is comfortable, but not sure it's right for Xmas. But, the good thing is we all get to pick our climate.

Old 10-14-2016, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I don't consider 60 cold. Still short sleeves for me. I don't understand why I prefer seasons TBH. It's like a signal of a change I guess? Sure, 70 degrees is comfortable, but not sure it's right for Xmas. But, the good thing is we all get to pick our climate.
You realize that the stereotypical cold snowy Xmas is just that, a eurocentric stereotype. Jesus was from Bethlehem which has a climate similar to Sacramento, CA. There was no cold and snow for the three kings or baby jesus lol

Old 10-14-2016, 09:12 AM

Quote:
You realize that the stereotypical cold snowy Xmas is just that, a eurocentric stereotype. Jesus was from Bethlehem which has a climate similar to Sacramento, CA. There was no cold and snow for the three kings or baby jesus lol
I didn't mention snow. This argument has jumped the shark, imo. Let's enjoy where we live.

Old 10-14-2016, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Hope you enjoyed Maine. We've been there annually each fall for 15 or so years, including when we used to fly up from Houston. Being able to drive there now is sweet.

Think I'll join my friend Gaylord here and wish you a pleasant fall!

(my pic)
Glorious.

Old 10-14-2016, 09:14 AM

67,666 posts, read 60,218,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Kathryn, I think I'm done with this pillow fight. If you think that saying a place is hot is insulting it, that's on you. It's a statement of fact.

I hope you enjoy wearing your scarves and boots in the 88 degree fall weather. Good day.
Apparently you "fight" like my mom - you say "I'm done with this!" and then deliver "the last word" in the form of yet another snide comment. Yeah, I'm onto that style.

I don't wear scarves and boots in 88 degree weather. I wear them when the temps are in the 50s. That means November (and a few evenings in October) through some days all the way through March (though the "cold" is off and on from mid February through March).

That's 4-5 months of being able to wear scarves and boots - and that's more than enough for me, though yes, I do enjoy wearing them for that short amount of time.

One thing I DON'T enjoy wearing - ever - is a big, heavy coat. I actually do have a nice leather coat with a fur collar and I'll probably own it for the next 40 years because believe me, it will always look as good as new since I wear it about twice a year. And even though it's lovely, once I get where I'm going, I always think "Great - now what do I do with this heavy thing?" Ugh. Sorry - just my personal preference but I hate carrying around a coat, and don't even get me started on an umbrella! Thankfully, I don't need either of those items very often.

Today the highs will be in around 80 and I'll be wearing cropped jeans and a T shirt and feeling great! Just decorated my house for fall yesterday. I'm really looking forward to Halloween. I love trick or treating with my grandkids when the temps are in the 60s. Perfect for just about any sort of costume other than Godzilla costumes!

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 10-14-2016 at 09:33 AM..

Old 10-14-2016, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
So called "fall" weather in the 80's isnt bad at all if you like a few more months of barbecuing out in the evening, swimming in the pool and more time in the garden and just being outside longer. Its why you have growing seasons in places like the texas triangle and north Florida from 270-320 days .

I dont even get my pecans until late november and harvest alot of my stuff like eggplants,tomatoes,garlic ,kale and watermelons until late october/early november.

"Fall" and colder weather will come but later in november, thank god.

Amen to that. Yes, it gets hot here in Texas in the late summer (I don't generally even feel "hot" till it gets over about 95 degrees) but it's a great trade off for short, balmy winters. I love living someplace where ice and snow are actually newsworthy events rather than mundane daily happenings. And I also really love the long growing season because I love working in the yard - in the sunshine.

We get fall colors here in northeast Texas too - but we get them in late November. I'm fine with that! Personally I love having a Thanksgiving that includes fall colors rather than bare branches.

http://www.east-texas.com/images/pho...t-texas-01.JPG

Quick getaway: Fall for the leaf color in Northeast Texas | Texas Travel | Dallas News

The photos I have attached are from last November at nearby Caddo Lake. Glad I wore warm clothes because though the sun was nice when we were not moving, it was cold out on that lake in the boat! By "cold," I mean in the 50s but with wind.
Attached Thumbnails
Hottest state-fall-color-caddo.jpg   Hottest state-melanie-cold.jpg  

Old 10-14-2016, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Exactly, I don't understand the obsession with cold weather that some C-D posters have. I think cold is miserable and depressing; I crave "shorts and t-shirt" weather
My husband literally grieves when he can't wear shorts. I swear he wears shorts from February through November. It's a good thing he has nice legs.

Old 10-14-2016, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
My husband literally grieves when he can't wear shorts. I swear he wears shorts from February through November. It's a good thing he has nice legs.
Back in NY, I could only comfortably wear shorts from late Apr to mid October. Here in Phoenix, I can wear them year round, except for the occasional winter day in the 50s and sometimes 40s (very rare, I actually wear a North Face and beanie when those happen)

Old 10-14-2016, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Back in NY, I could only comfortably wear shorts from late Apr to mid October. Here in Phoenix, I can wear them year round, except for the occasional winter day in the 50s and sometimes 40s (very rare, I actually wear a North Face and beanie when those happen)
LOL if you're like my husband, you will occasionally be walking around in a coat and shorts.

Most people acclimate to where they are or the places they love. There are many valid reasons for loving a place and therefore embracing all there is about it, including the weather.

The fact is that the vast majority of places in the world (and just about any place I can think of in the US) has it's pros and cons when it comes to weather, and it's a tradeoff people make for the particular aspects of weather that they love in an area.

I used to live in Virginia and Maryland and I do really like the weather - FOR THE MOST PART - in that region. But even that sort of "four even seasons" has it's downside in the form of hurricanes, ice storms, biting wind in the winter, and humidity. And I could make a list of things that are negatives about northeast Texas weather too - and the weather in any place I've ever lived.

But I prefer to look at the positives because no matter where I've lived, I've been happy.

Actually my least favorite place I've lived was Fort Hood, Texas. I don't care for the terrain there, which isn't actually Hill Country, it's just flat and brown and HOT HOT HOT. But you know what? Without exception, the evenings and nights there are just fabulous. I've never seen a sky quite like that sky - the clarity, the stars, the huge scope of it, with the cool, arid breeze every evening. There was something exhilarating about it. Every evening made up for the hot, dusty afternoon that had preceded it.

And not only that, I could hop in my car, drive 30 minutes, and be in the Hill Country. So I was OK with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.