U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Hottest state?
Texas 46 25.14%
Louisiana 6 3.28%
Alabama 0 0%
Mississsippi 3 1.64%
Georgia 1 0.55%
Florida 42 22.95%
South Carolina 2 1.09%
Arizona 80 43.72%
New Mexico 1 0.55%
Arkansas 2 1.09%
Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-15-2016, 10:26 AM
 
3,618 posts, read 1,564,526 times
Reputation: 2194

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Amen to that. Yes, it gets hot here in Texas in the late summer (I don't generally even feel "hot" till it gets over about 95 degrees) but it's a great trade off for short, balmy winters. I love living someplace where ice and snow are actually newsworthy events rather than mundane daily happenings. And I also really love the long growing season because I love working in the yard - in the sunshine.

We get fall colors here in northeast Texas too - but we get them in late November. I'm fine with that! Personally I love having a Thanksgiving that includes fall colors rather than bare branches.

http://www.east-texas.com/images/pho...t-texas-01.JPG

Quick getaway: Fall for the leaf color in Northeast Texas | Texas Travel | Dallas News

The photos I have attached are from last November at nearby Caddo Lake. Glad I wore warm clothes because though the sun was nice when we were not moving, it was cold out on that lake in the boat! By "cold," I mean in the 50s but with wind.

Great pics of caddo lake kathryn. I saw this from don henley, he moved back to texas from California and lives in dallas I believe but spends alot of time on caddo lake and helps preserve it. Those cypress trees coming out of the water are some of the most beautiful trees in the world. water cypress, southern live oak and the giant sequoias in northern california are my favorite trees,something just so haunting about canoeing through black water and spanish moss and a gorgeous cypress growing out of the water

don henley on caddo lake

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=164rJk-pFdQ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-21-2016, 07:34 AM
 
Location: Clemson, SC by way of Tyler,TX
4,845 posts, read 2,975,563 times
Reputation: 3394
Some will love this, but some will find it off-putting, but looks like some parts of Texas will be at 80 degrees for Christmas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2016, 03:14 PM
 
17,658 posts, read 4,058,482 times
Reputation: 5586
I think Florida is the warmest state overall
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2016, 06:31 PM
 
594 posts, read 486,205 times
Reputation: 761
The average body temperature of a human is 98.6.
Let's just say Phoenix AZ has a string of 110 degree days. That's just 12 degrees over body temperature.
Pick an east coast city with a string of days in the teens.
That's 80 degrees below body temperature.
Southwest...10 degrees over BT. East coast....80 degrees below BT.

Now for people who say 90 degrees is brutal.....your body temperature is 98.6.
I will take Texas, Florida, Louisiana, Arizona, and any other warm place over cold & gloom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2016, 07:26 PM
 
Location: Washington State desert
5,532 posts, read 3,683,135 times
Reputation: 4115
Quote:
Originally Posted by sexxxcblac View Post
The average body temperature of a human is 98.6.
Let's just say Phoenix AZ has a string of 110 degree days. That's just 12 degrees over body temperature.
Pick an east coast city with a string of days in the teens.
That's 80 degrees below body temperature.
Southwest...10 degrees over BT. East coast....80 degrees below BT.

Now for people who say 90 degrees is brutal.....your body temperature is 98.6.
I will take Texas, Florida, Louisiana, Arizona, and any other warm place over cold & gloom.
A normal body temperature has nothing to do with how an outside your body temperature will feel. Most agree that an outside/inside temp around 72 is the most comfortable.

That said, I voted for Florida as being the hottest as during the summer the 90-95 temps combined with high dew points create an atmosphere that most can't handle for more than about 5 minutes. While some northern climes provide similar extremes during the winter, Florida offers this during the summer. No, thankyou.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2016, 03:16 AM
 
970 posts, read 1,639,581 times
Reputation: 1539
Whatever you feel and experience is incorrect, it's just confusion as to what is truly comfortable. But in my city, the climate is always insanely ideal and perfect. I personally prefer such an utterly perfect & ideal climate myself, but I suppose some may prefer horribly uncomfortable, hot, frigid, arrid, wet, sultry, or gloomy climates. I wonder what it's like in such unimaginably horrendous conditions... ouch, just the thought alone hurts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2016, 05:18 AM
 
4,812 posts, read 4,991,602 times
Reputation: 2271
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
A normal body temperature has nothing to do with how an outside your body temperature will feel. Most agree that an outside/inside temp around 72 is the most comfortable.

That said, I voted for Florida as being the hottest as during the summer the 90-95 temps combined with high dew points create an atmosphere that most can't handle for more than about 5 minutes. While some northern climes provide similar extremes during the winter, Florida offers this during the summer. No, thankyou.
By ideal is mild overall, but still having distinct seasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2016, 05:21 AM
 
4,812 posts, read 4,991,602 times
Reputation: 2271
Hawaii may be the 2nd warmest overall, but it still is very comfortable.

Hawaii has comfortable weather because of the trade winds. If not for the trade winds, it would feel more like Florida, but it does not at all.

Hawaii is very comfortable.

Last edited by Chimérique; 12-22-2016 at 05:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2016, 05:27 AM
 
4,812 posts, read 4,991,602 times
Reputation: 2271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I'm looking at Texas weather and heat index is still in the 100s, ten days from October. Pretty normal for these parts, or at least not unusual. Is it the hottest state overall?
Hottest is one thing, but one has to look at overall comfort factor through-out the course of a 24 hour period in the day.

Many stats do not capture how comfortable or how hot, or how cold is it at 8am, or Noon, or 3pm, or 8pm, or night time sleeping hours. Night time sleep hours temps matter to your heating and a/c bills, and overall comfort level while sleeping.

If your city was 100F for the high temp during the day. How many hours was it 90-100F? Did the day start at 75F, and quickly jump to the 80's during the daylight morning hours.Was it uncomfortably hot all night long? Was the dew point uncomfortable the whole 24hour period?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2016, 05:57 AM
 
Location: Clemson, SC by way of Tyler,TX
4,845 posts, read 2,975,563 times
Reputation: 3394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Hottest is one thing, but one has to look at overall comfort factor through-out the course of a 24 hour period in the day.

Many stats do not capture how comfortable or how hot, or how cold is it at 8am, or Noon, or 3pm, or 8pm, or night time sleeping hours. Night time sleep hours temps matter to your heating and a/c bills, and overall comfort level while sleeping.

If your city was 100F for the high temp during the day. How many hours was it 90-100F? Did the day start at 75F, and quickly jump to the 80's during the daylight morning hours.Was it uncomfortably hot all night long? Was the dew point uncomfortable the whole 24hour period?
Sure. It was a very broad question. I don't know about Florida, but I saw heat indexes of 97 in Dallas at 11 pm this summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top