U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Hottest state?
Texas 46 25.14%
Louisiana 6 3.28%
Alabama 0 0%
Mississsippi 3 1.64%
Georgia 1 0.55%
Florida 42 22.95%
South Carolina 2 1.09%
Arizona 80 43.72%
New Mexico 1 0.55%
Arkansas 2 1.09%
Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2018, 03:58 PM

5,091 posts, read 2,159,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Utah does not belong. And most of Nevada doesn't either. Whereas, just about all of texas and Florida is toasty.
You're clearly referring to heat index - heat and humidity together - not absolute temperatures (i.e. highest temperature limits). TX and FL are known for high heat index, but they'll never reach the temperatures seen in the west.

The hottest absolute temperatures are again in the desert southwest (NV, UT, AZ, etc.); the driest region of the country

Last edited by Thoreau424; 07-26-2018 at 04:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2018, 07:59 AM

1,573 posts, read 1,434,722 times
Where is death valley California. Thats the hottest
place in the world.

Old 07-27-2018, 11:39 PM

7,842 posts, read 12,355,055 times
How is Nevada missing from this poll?

Old 07-28-2018, 03:16 AM

1,144 posts, read 561,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffydelusions View Post
I agree. I am from Arizona but also lived in Florida for thirteen years. I did the comparison as an aggregate analysis of the entire state - not just one area or one season of the year.

It is true that Phoenix gets a higher thermometer reading in the summer than Florida. But that is offset by much cooler temperatures in Flagstaff, Northern Arizona, White Mountains, Four Corners, Mogollon Rim, etc. Florida doesn't have any places like that - there is no "cooler" place to escape to within the state. I know because I've lived there.

As for the humidity, I still say that a humid 98 F at 98% humidity in Tallahassee is still not as bad as Phoenix at 120 F. But the nice thing about the desert is that it (1) cools off in the morning, (2) is relatively dry and (3) you can still be active at night or early morning.

In general, Florida heat sucks in the summer - especially after a rain storm when it gets really humid. I tried to "escape" the heat by going to the Appalachian Trail in North GA but it was just as bad. Here in Arizona you can still find snow at the summit high up in the mountain near Flagstaff above 12,000 feet. Winters in FL were great though.

Old 07-28-2018, 09:58 AM

3,699 posts, read 8,791,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
LOL @ the fact that Arizona is winning in the poll, smh. The question was what is the hottest state over all....I hope people realize that the whole state isn't like Phoenix, right?
A huge chunk of the northern section (colorado Plateau) of the state barely sees any temperatures over 85. Take Flagstaff for example, it snows over 100 inches a year and the average low in winter is around 17, daytime temps can get as low as 14. Where in Florida or Texas do they have areas of their state where it snows over 100 inches/consistently sees lows in the mid teens?
https://www.google.com/search?q=Nort...RYAZwQ_AUIBygC

This reason alone should be a good reason as to why, if we are talking about states as a whole, Arizona does not deserve the title as the hottest. Same goes for central Arizona (the transition zone), for example take prescott...the largest city in Central AZ. The average high in summer is 85 and the average low in winter is below freezing at 23.
https://goo.gl/images/h9Wv27
This is so true. Most people are ignorant of both geography and climate, overall LOL.

Most don't realize Arizona has amazingly high pine forested mountains all over the state, and in the north, they can be snow capped mostly year-round.

Florida is the hottest state. A flat, southern, humid, swampy, beachy state all over. Zero mountains and with the highest elevation being 345 feet, it is the ultimate low-lying, flat state.

Old 07-28-2018, 10:33 AM

4,889 posts, read 3,010,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
This is so true. Most people are ignorant of both geography and climate, overall LOL.

Most don't realize Arizona has amazingly high pine forested mountains all over the state, and in the north, they can be snow capped mostly year-round.

Florida is the hottest state. A flat, southern, humid, swampy, beachy state all over. Zero mountains and with the highest elevation being 345 feet, it is the ultimate low-lying, flat state.
Yeah, I think only 1/3 of the state is considered to be hot, now, it is really hot, I'll say that. But I think the northern part is 4 seasons.

Old 07-28-2018, 01:54 PM

2,869 posts, read 1,326,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
How is Nevada missing from this poll?
Nevada also gets cold in the winter though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or