U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Hottest state?
Texas 46 25.14%
Louisiana 6 3.28%
Alabama 0 0%
Mississsippi 3 1.64%
Georgia 1 0.55%
Florida 42 22.95%
South Carolina 2 1.09%
Arizona 80 43.72%
New Mexico 1 0.55%
Arkansas 2 1.09%
Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-26-2016, 10:43 PM

4,628 posts, read 3,970,061 times

Advertisements

Hawaii...when you factor in all 12 months.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2016, 06:03 AM

4,849 posts, read 2,978,355 times
I think Florida is the best answer.

Old 09-27-2016, 07:09 AM

44,695 posts, read 36,132,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
Is Texas really hotter than Louisiana? I mean the entire southern half of Louisiana is just brutal...

There are many places in Arizona that don't reach higher than 90s that are in the desert (Nogales' average high is 93 and so is all of SE Arizona except for Tucson). A lot of high desert like Page, AZ is 95 average high. The only hot parts of the state are the low elevation portions like Tucson, Phoenix, Yuma, Bullhead City... So you're looking at roughly 3/4 of the state seeing the same temperature numbers as the South without the brutal humidity. Some places like Flag never get higher than the 80s and is one of the snowiest places in the country.
All I can tell you is this:

I am a New Orleans native. There is no place more humid and sticky than New Orleans in July. It IS brutal - that's the right word for it.

I live in Texas now. It's hot here, don't get me wrong, but south Louisiana is oppressively hot and humid.

The other day I drove from where I live near Tyler (northeast Texas) to see my aunt in northwest Louisiana, two hours away. She lives on Caddo Lake. When I got out of my car in her driveway, I thought I was going to absolutely suffocate.

She had clothes hanging outside but she was taking them in and you know why? Because it was so incredibly humid outside, they just wouldn't get dry. And she has to constantly be on the lookout for mold in her house. She's always got those moisture catching thingies stuck around in her house.

All I can say is that I've never had that problem in Texas, and I live in one of the more humid areas of Texas.

Humidity is what gets me more than high temps. That's why I don't live in New Orleans, Houston, or Charleston, SC (another incredibly humid place I've visited). I know that some people who aren't that used to or acclimated to humidity think that east Texas is humid, but compared to some other places I've lived and visited in the south, it doesn't feel as sticky and oppressive to me.

Old 09-27-2016, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Your cold front will get you to the 80s. here in NOVA we will see a high of 75 for the foreseeable future. That's November weather at best in a lot of Texas.

Current heat index in Houston ,9:35 pm is 87 degrees. Projected high temp on Wednesday 10/5, is 90 degrees. That's just odd. Good luck wearing a scarf then.
I don't live in Houston.

I used to live in NOVA. I like it, but I prefer Texas overall. But to each his own.

Anyway, here's the weather forecast for the next few days here:

https://weather.com/weather/5day/l/USTX0234:1:US

Highs in the 80s, lows in the mid 50s to low 60s. And sunny, sunny, sunny. Yes, I can live with that!

November weather averages in Texas are not in the 80s. The average November temps throughout Texas are highs in the 60s and lows in the 40s - and plenty of sunshine. That's fantastic weather in my opinion, but hey, that's just me.
https://www.currentresults.com/Weath...e-november.php

I just really hate misinformation.

By the way, I've lived here for 23 years. I know when I can wear scarves and boots - starting in October and on through February. Not necessarily because it's freezing cold, but because it's nice and crisp - and sunny, with the biggest, bluest sky I've ever seen.

It's fabulous. Well worth the summers in my opinion but to each his own, like I said.

Old 09-27-2016, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerntraveler View Post
I heard its gonna be 63 for the high in my part of Texas on monday according to one local station.
NICE!

I am looking forward to lows in the 50s over the next few days. Maybe I'll crank the hot tub up, who knows?

Old 09-27-2016, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
In the Northeast, our spring and falls are very pleasant, and our summers are occasionally hot/humid, but not for long stretches. Our winters can be cold and snowy, but that's the pleasure of having four distinct seasons,and not six months of hot (>90 degrees) weather, like Texas..

I don't feel like living in a blast furnace for half the year, so it's shoveling, and a nice change of seasons, for me..
Yeah, and I don't feel like shoveling snow - ever. And especially not around Easter.

Most of Texas doesn't have six months of temps over 90 degrees, by the way. For instance, here are the average highs and lows in Dallas - three months of averages in the 90s.
Climate Dallas - Texas and Weather averages Dallas

Austin - four months:
Climate Texas - temperature, rainfall and average

Houston - three months:
Climate Houston - Texas and Weather averages Houston

Lubbock - three months:
Climate Lubbock - Texas and Weather averages Lubbock

El Paso - three months:
Climate El Paso - Texas and Weather averages El Paso

Tyler - two months:
Climate Tyler - Texas and Weather averages Tyler

Amarillo - ONE month:
Climate Amarillo - Texas and Weather averages Amarillo

Even Laredo - far, far south - only has four months of high temps of 90 or above - and that region of Texas is not nearly as populated as the middle and northeastern parts of the state:
Climate Laredo - Texas and Weather averages Laredo

Facts are pertinent.

Old 09-27-2016, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Couldn't agree more. Have you ever lived in the south? I spent 26 loooong summers in Houston. Our northeastern winters are a cakewalk compared to the Texas summers.
To you. To others, not so much. Ask yourself why so many people are moving to the south and southeast (including but not limited to Texas), and the northeastern states are actually losing people. The only northeastern state that's gaining people is Vermont.

Quote:
The top inbound states of 2015 were:

Oregon
South Carolina
Vermont
Idaho
North Carolina
Florida
Nevada
District of Columbia
Texas
Washington
2015 National Movers Study | United Van Lines

What???? FOUR OUT OF TEN of the most popular destinations for moves are in the south and southeast? Only one state in the northeast in this list? Hmmmm, why is that, I wonder?

Let's just put it this way - your winters aren't helping your case any.

Old 09-27-2016, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Texas is a huge state. There were days were the heat index was above 95 at 11 pm in Dallas.
Not many.

There are pros and cons to every region. Some people prefer milder weather in the winter and are willing to put up with some heat in the summer in exchange. Others LIKE hot summers. Some can't stand it and would rather live where the winters are long, and others are horrified at the idea of dealing with snow and ice for 4 or 5 months.

You don't want anyone cherry picking the worst of your state's weather and acting as if it's the norm or the average do you?

I didn't think so.

Please be intellectually honest. Is that too much to ask? Well, maybe it is.

Old 09-27-2016, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
This poster is a troll. As you can see, his/her account has been closed. Expect to see a new username in the next 24 hours making the same arguments.

Trolling aside, you raise an important point. Anyone who has lived in both Houston and the northeast is aware of the misery of a 6 month Texas summer. While we in the NE do have some heat waves, they come and go with pleasant breaks between them. And more importantly, on most of our uncomfortable days, the temps and humidity die down sufficiently to make evenings pleasant. I found Houston's unrelenting summers draining precisely because there is no escape - day or night.

Meanwhile, while we're reveling in our crisp fall weather, check out Houston's 10 day forecast.
I don't live in Houston, I live in northeast Texas. I think our ten day forecast looks fabulous!
https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/USTX1383:1:US

Meanwhile, let's look at the average temps and precipitation for Dallas (close to me) and Boston for the winter months:

Let's see - let's start with January in Dallas - averages of about 57 high and 37 low. Precipitation of about 2 inches. January is historically the coldest month in Dallas, even though the average lows are higher than the average highs in Boston!
https://weather.com/weather/monthly/l/USTX0327:1:US

Now, let's take a look at January in Boston:

Oh my - average high of about 35 and average low of about 22. Average precipitation is nearly double that of Dallas - and I'm pretty sure it's in frozen form.
https://weather.com/weather/monthly/l/USMA0046:1:US

See, maybe that's great to some people - and if so, more power to them. But it's definitely not my personal preference.

Old 09-27-2016, 08:07 AM

3,618 posts, read 1,565,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
To you. To others, not so much. Ask yourself why so many people are moving to the south and southeast (including but not limited to Texas), and the northeastern states are actually losing people. The only northeastern state that's gaining people is Vermont.

2015 National Movers Study | United Van Lines

What???? FOUR OUT OF TEN of the most popular destinations for moves are in the south and southeast? Only one state in the northeast in this list? Hmmmm, why is that, I wonder?

Let's just put it this way - your winters aren't helping your case any.
I agree with this, especially for retirees with the money to move. florida,the carolinas.arizona,georgia and texas are the top states for retiring

winters are just depressing for most people,cold nights and freezing mornings, very short days. scraping ice at 7 am, shoveling driveways,ugly black snow on the road. some places up north have very short spring and falls as well before winter or summer hits

I will take a few months of hot weather to spend a good winter of nice weather.golf courses down south stay open year round and are still able to barbecue even through most of winter. very little ice and scraping windows

july and august are tough, they are in alot of places but its worth the payoff of a mild winter. summers are never depressing,long days when sunset isnt until late, pools,etc. when you were a kid running through a sprinkler and being out of school and hitting the beach or lake, summer represents fun, now winter not so much
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or