U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Hottest state?
Texas 46 25.14%
Louisiana 6 3.28%
Alabama 0 0%
Mississsippi 3 1.64%
Georgia 1 0.55%
Florida 42 22.95%
South Carolina 2 1.09%
Arizona 80 43.72%
New Mexico 1 0.55%
Arkansas 2 1.09%
Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 08:49 AM

4,857 posts, read 2,995,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Not many.

There are pros and cons to every region. Some people prefer milder weather in the winter and are willing to put up with some heat in the summer in exchange. Others LIKE hot summers. Some can't stand it and would rather live where the winters are long, and others are horrified at the idea of dealing with snow and ice for 4 or 5 months.

You don't want anyone cherry picking the worst of your state's weather and acting as if it's the norm or the average do you?

I didn't think so.

Please be intellectually honest. Is that too much to ask? Well, maybe it is.
Which part have I been dishonest about? Wow, that's a personal attack. I don't get where you are going with that. Geezus.

My main point is, I love the fact that it is 75 here and still close to 90 in Dallas. Within the next week, there are three days where the high will be close to 90 in Dallas. To me, for October, I prefer 70s. That's obviously personal preference on my end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2016, 08:52 AM

Quote:
To you. To others, not so much. Ask yourself why so many people are moving to the south and southeast (including but not limited to Texas), and the northeastern states are actually losing people. The only northeastern state that's gaining people is Vermont.

2015 National Movers Study | United Van Lines

What???? FOUR OUT OF TEN of the most popular destinations for moves are in the south and southeast? Only one state in the northeast in this list? Hmmmm, why is that, I wonder?

Let's just put it this way - your winters aren't helping your case any.
Speaking of intellectual dishonesty, if I look at that, does that mean South Carolina has better weather than California or is more desirable? Context.

Old 09-27-2016, 09:20 AM

44,966 posts, read 36,253,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Which part have I been dishonest about? Wow, that's a personal attack. I don't get where you are going with that. Geezus.

My main point is, I love the fact that it is 75 here and still close to 90 in Dallas. Within the next week, there are three days where the high will be close to 90 in Dallas. To me, for October, I prefer 70s. That's obviously personal preference on my end.
Here's what you said:
Quote:
There were days were the heat index was above 95 at 11 pm in Dallas.
Your implication is that this is typical weather - and it's not - not any more typical than ice storms or hurricanes in the DC area. Does it happen? Yes. Is it the norm? No.

Here's the deal. You're posting on a public internet forum. If you misrepresent facts or exaggerate or pontificate or present exceptions to the rule as the rule, expect a rebuttal. And don't get butt hurt over that rebuttal.

I stated that it's unusual for your scenario to play out, and presented facts to back my statement. Now, if you like, I can cherry pick some terrible weather in the DC area (and I know you get it because I've lived in that area several times over the course of my lifetime) and I can present it as typical too. But we both know that would be disingenuous.

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 09-27-2016 at 09:30 AM..

Old 09-27-2016, 09:22 AM

44,966 posts, read 36,253,688 times
Quote:
Speaking of intellectual dishonesty, if I look at that, does that mean South Carolina has better weather than California or is more desirable? Context.
How was anything I stated intellectually dishonest? Those are the top 10 states that people moved to in 2015. Obviously there are very different weather patterns represented. But the fact is, that in spite of - or maybe because of, who knows - the weather patterns in the south, four of the ten states are in the south.

It is what it is.

Old 09-27-2016, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Here's what you said:

Your implication is that this is typical weather - and it's not - not any more typical than ice storms or hurricanes in the DC area. Does it happen? Yes. Is it the norm? No.

Here's the deal. You're posting on a public internet forum. If you misrepresent facts or exaggerate or pontificate or present exceptions to the rule as the rule, expect a rebuttal. And don't get butt hurt over that rebuttal.

I stated that it's unusual for your scenario to play out, and presented facts to back my statement. Now, if you like, I can cherry pick some terrible weather in the DC area (and I know you get it because I've lived in that area several times over the course of my lifetime) and I can present it as typical too. But we both know that would be disingenuous.
I don't believe I'm the butt hurt one. It's you and the guy who said "good stay up there." The title of the thread was hottest state, not worst state or poorest state. There was no need to get defensive about your state.

Thursday, October 6th, the high in Dallas will be 90. To me, that's a little warm, especially a week into October. But that's just me Kathryn. I'm not insulting your state or region. This wasn't an attack on Texas or the south post.

I checked the weather often. This past summer, there were quite a few days where the heat index was still 90 degrees at 8 pm in Dallas. Now, I could be wrong, but it's based off of my memory.

anyways, sorry if I upset you. Not my intent at all.

Old 09-27-2016, 10:52 AM

5,616 posts, read 3,950,074 times
Quote:
What???? FOUR OUT OF TEN of the most popular destinations for moves are in the south and southeast? Only one state in the northeast in this list? Hmmmm, why is that, I wonder?

Let's just put it this way - your winters aren't helping your case any.
Milder winters are only part of the draw of the SE. The main draws are cheaper COL, and new jobs being created. If people truly despised cold weather, cities like NYC and CHI wouldn't ever have gotten as big as they did. Back then they offered tons of jobs, etc, which attracted residents. Its not at all unlike what SE and S cities are experiencing right now. Freezing cold places like Madison, WI and MPLS are still attracting new residents, just not as many as, say, Atlanta.

Old 09-27-2016, 11:14 AM

3,618 posts, read 1,569,828 times
Quote:

I lived in DC for 10 years and the weather and the hellish traffic and commute times were one of reasons I chose for leaving. I really hate the midatlantic/northeast corridor weather,worst of both worlds

Last winter in DC we got a damn 24 inch blizzard plus you get summers that are incredibly humid in DC, comparable to where I live in florida without the ocean or subtropical/tropical vegetation , growing citrus, etc. In many cases DC has almost full blown tropical heat with uhi numbers and almost no subtropical vegetation and can still have some really cold winters with as much snow as st louis or kansas city.

DC is a great city and there are far more positives than negatives, my commute time was really the main thing. The traffic just gets worse even with the expansion of the metro.

I agree texas like most of the south is pretty brutal in july and august but I will live through it if I can have temps in the 60s in winter

Old 09-27-2016, 11:17 AM

3,618 posts, read 1,569,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Milder winters are only part of the draw of the SE. The main draws are cheaper COL, and new jobs being created. If people truly despised cold weather, cities like NYC and CHI wouldn't ever have gotten as big as they did. Back then they offered tons of jobs, etc, which attracted residents. Its not at all unlike what SE and S cities are experiencing right now. Freezing cold places like Madison, WI and MPLS are still attracting new residents, just not as many as, say, Atlanta.
I agree with that , especially for places like texas, texas has much much higher paying jobs and much better stem economy than florida. But that doesnt explain the retiree numbers though

Old 09-27-2016, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
I lived in DC for 10 years and the weather and the hellish traffic and commute times were one of reasons I chose for leaving. I really hate the midatlantic/northeast corridor weather,worst of both worlds

Last winter in DC we got a damn 24 inch blizzard plus you get summers that are incredibly humid in DC, comparable to where I live in florida without the ocean or subtropical/tropical vegetation , growing citrus, etc. In many cases DC has almost full blown tropical heat with uhi numbers and almost no subtropical vegetation and can still have some really cold winters with as much snow as st louis or kansas city.

DC is a great city and there are far more positives than negatives, my commute time was really the main thing. The traffic just gets worse even with the expansion of the metro.

I agree texas like most of the south is pretty brutal in july and august but I will live through it if I can have temps in the 60s in winter
Appreciate the post. I guess some context would help. I am a native Texan, so I guess I needed a change. I was always envious of places with 4 seasons. I guess an 80 degree Tday is comfortable, but to me just never felt right.

Second year in DC and I love it. Pretty clean 4 seasons, summers can be hot, but one thing to keep in mind is we walk around a lot up here, compared to Texas. But I think it was pretty rare for a given day to be hotter here than in Dallas. There were a couple, but I thought DC was at least 5 degrees cooler, or at least felt that way, especially at night.

The snow didn't bother me. I either dressed up or stayed home. First snow fall was awesome, visually appealing. Maybe that will get old. Not sure DC is my forever home. Traffic doesn't bother me as I use the metro full time.

Old 09-27-2016, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
I agree with that , especially for places like texas, texas has much much higher paying jobs and much better stem economy than florida. But that doesnt explain the retiree numbers though
I think retirees tend to be budget conscious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or