U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Hottest state?
Texas 46 25.14%
Louisiana 6 3.28%
Alabama 0 0%
Mississsippi 3 1.64%
Georgia 1 0.55%
Florida 42 22.95%
South Carolina 2 1.09%
Arizona 80 43.72%
New Mexico 1 0.55%
Arkansas 2 1.09%
Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 01:34 PM

5,300 posts, read 3,310,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Appreciate the post. I guess some context would help. I am a native Texan, so I guess I needed a change. I was always envious of places with 4 seasons. I guess an 80 degree Tday is comfortable, but to me just never felt right.

Second year in DC and I love it. Pretty clean 4 seasons, summers can be hot, but one thing to keep in mind is we walk around a lot up here, compared to Texas. But I think it was pretty rare for a given day to be hotter here than in Dallas. There were a couple, but I thought DC was at least 5 degrees cooler, or at least felt that way, especially at night.

The snow didn't bother me. I either dressed up or stayed home. First snow fall was awesome, visually appealing. Maybe that will get old. Not sure DC is my forever home. Traffic doesn't bother me as I use the metro full time.
I love having four seasons too. The Mid-Atlantic region from DC down to GA is one of the few regions of the country where you get 4 three month seasons. Summer can be hot, but you don't have weeks of 100 degree days like here in Texas.

The Midwest, especially Kansas, Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio also offer four distinct seasons, but you have to deal with colder winters and snow. But people over exaggerate the amount of snow. In Iowa, there would be a small amount of snow every few weeks, but it would take a while to melt. Highs were usually in the 30s, with lows around 10-15. The Northeast actually gets a lot more snow than the Midwest.

In Iowa, cold weather didn't start until around Thanksgiving, but sometimes it stuck around until early April.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2016, 03:03 PM

6,864 posts, read 7,811,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mingna View Post
[/b]Well, I look at it as having a nice, long... long... long extended swimming season for those of us with pools.

Lemonade out of lemons, and all that jazz.
Meh. Not sure if you're in Houston. Just checked the weather and apparently it feels like 88 right now. On September 27! It's gonna be hotter tomorrow. And, if that's not enough, it will be 90 and 91 on October 5 and 6. Yuk.

Enjoy your lemonade. I wouldn't trade it for this in a heartbeat:

(my pix)

Old 09-27-2016, 03:03 PM

4,857 posts, read 2,993,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I love having four seasons too. The Mid-Atlantic region from DC down to GA is one of the few regions of the country where you get 4 three month seasons. Summer can be hot, but you don't have weeks of 100 degree days like here in Texas.

The Midwest, especially Kansas, Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio also offer four distinct seasons, but you have to deal with colder winters and snow. But people over exaggerate the amount of snow. In Iowa, there would be a small amount of snow every few weeks, but it would take a while to melt. Highs were usually in the 30s, with lows around 10-15. The Northeast actually gets a lot more snow than the Midwest.

In Iowa, cold weather didn't start until around Thanksgiving, but sometimes it stuck around until early April.
I think we didnt' get our first blast of snow until January last year. Mild winter.

Old 09-27-2016, 03:09 PM

5,300 posts, read 3,310,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Meh. Not sure if you're in Houston. Just checked the weather and apparently it feels like 88 right now. On September 27! It's gonna be hotter tomorrow. And, if that's not enough, it will be 90 and 91 on October 5 and 6. Yuk.

(my pix)
I'm with you. When September rolls around, I'm out of pool mode and into cool/crisp apple cider drinking fall days to begin.

Old 09-27-2016, 03:54 PM

44,938 posts, read 36,237,009 times
Well, it will be in the low fifties over the next few days and I'll enjoy getting in our new hot tub!

It's great that everyone is so happy where we all live, isn't it!

I think I've shared my love for the midAtlantic region before - it's got some positives for sure. But I love me some Texas too, and I prefer Texas winters to just about any other winter in the US. Like I said, it's a trade off.

By the way, we had snow on Christmas day just a couple of years ago. Awesome! And it was about how I like it - about two inches. Great photos and then gone the next day. To me, that's all the snow I want.

Here in northeast Texas we have lots of hardwood trees, and we have fall colors - we just have them at the end of November rather than October. I'll be sure to post some pictures when that time rolls around. And I'll also post pictures of my green lawn and flower beds in March. Spring in Texas is fabulous!

Old 09-27-2016, 08:09 PM

4,552 posts, read 3,649,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Not many.

There are pros and cons to every region. Some people prefer milder weather in the winter and are willing to put up with some heat in the summer in exchange. Others LIKE hot summers. Some can't stand it and would rather live where the winters are long, and others are horrified at the idea of dealing with snow and ice for 4 or 5 months.

You don't want anyone cherry picking the worst of your state's weather and acting as if it's the norm or the average do you?

I didn't think so.

Please be intellectually honest. Is that too much to ask? Well, maybe it is.
This is what I have been saying about Arizona for almost this entire thread. People are voting on it based on Phoenix and Yuma which would be inaccurate. Plenty of cool and warm places in the entire state. Bisbee and Nogales are like the California coast (closest to anyway). I don't recall considering SoCal coast being hot...

Now I am not saying that Phoenix and Yuma do not get hot, but they are only select portions of the state. For the "hottest STATE" thread, we should be looking at the highest AVERAGES FOR THE WHOLE STATE, not just where most people live in the state. If that was the case, then this thread should be hottest MAJOR CITY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
All I can tell you is this:

I am a New Orleans native. There is no place more humid and sticky than New Orleans in July. It IS brutal - that's the right word for it.

I live in Texas now. It's hot here, don't get me wrong, but south Louisiana is oppressively hot and humid.

The other day I drove from where I live near Tyler (northeast Texas) to see my aunt in northwest Louisiana, two hours away. She lives on Caddo Lake. When I got out of my car in her driveway, I thought I was going to absolutely suffocate.

She had clothes hanging outside but she was taking them in and you know why? Because it was so incredibly humid outside, they just wouldn't get dry. And she has to constantly be on the lookout for mold in her house. She's always got those moisture catching thingies stuck around in her house.

All I can say is that I've never had that problem in Texas, and I live in one of the more humid areas of Texas.

Humidity is what gets me more than high temps. That's why I don't live in New Orleans, Houston, or Charleston, SC (another incredibly humid place I've visited). I know that some people who aren't that used to or acclimated to humidity think that east Texas is humid, but compared to some other places I've lived and visited in the south, it doesn't feel as sticky and oppressive to me.
Someone posted a map earlier of hottest averages... Louisiana was the "reddest" overall. I immediately regret voting for Florida after that. I have been to New Orleans in mid-June and I could barely handle it. July is probably the same as that, no? I've also been to Baton Rouge and some areas on the other side of Lake Ponchatrain and I'm telling you, that's the worst thing ever. Only place worse was inland Cambodia which truth be telling you, was close to inland swamp of Louisiana. Except where I was it was all concrete which made the heat even worse.

Old 09-27-2016, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post

(my pix)
That my friends is fall. Boots and scarves weather.

Old 09-27-2016, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
This is what I have been saying about Arizona for almost this entire thread. People are voting on it based on Phoenix and Yuma which would be inaccurate. Plenty of cool and warm places in the entire state. Bisbee and Nogales are like the California coast (closest to anyway). I don't recall considering SoCal coast being hot...

Now I am not saying that Phoenix and Yuma do not get hot, but they are only select portions of the state. For the "hottest STATE" thread, we should be looking at the highest AVERAGES FOR THE WHOLE STATE, not just where most people live in the state. If that was the case, then this thread should be hottest MAJOR CITY.

Someone posted a map earlier of hottest averages... Louisiana was the "reddest" overall. I immediately regret voting for Florida after that. I have been to New Orleans in mid-June and I could barely handle it. July is probably the same as that, no? I've also been to Baton Rouge and some areas on the other side of Lake Ponchatrain and I'm telling you, that's the worst thing ever. Only place worse was inland Cambodia which truth be telling you, was close to inland swamp of Louisiana. Except where I was it was all concrete which made the heat even worse.
I remember New Orleans being really muggy, probably similar to Houston.

Old 09-28-2016, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post

I totally get what you're saying about Arizona. Which is an interesting state, by the way. I haven't been there in awhile and I'm feeling a little trip coming on.

And yes, believe it or not, New Orleans in July is even worse than New Orleans in June! And don't get me wrong - I LOVE New Orleans. But damn.

Old 09-28-2016, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
That my friends is fall. Boots and scarves weather.
Right on - and we get to break those out in November and wear them through March.

And we can usually forego the big, bulky coat and gloves and hat during that time too. That being said, I've gone to some Friday night football games that were really cold and that required a coat and gloves and hat, but that was after dark. That's all I ever want of that bidness!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or