Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Hottest state?
Texas 70 22.65%
Louisiana 11 3.56%
Alabama 3 0.97%
Mississsippi 3 0.97%
Georgia 2 0.65%
Florida 67 21.68%
South Carolina 3 0.97%
Arizona 144 46.60%
New Mexico 3 0.97%
Arkansas 3 0.97%
Voters: 309. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2016, 02:31 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,909,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Yada yada yada - these sorts of "damn, it's hot in Texas" (or fill in the blank with any southern or southwestern state) always crop up about this time of year.

People forget that while some folks are still shoveling snow and dealing with heaps of dirty frozen stuff piled up everywhere, and still scraping ice and snow off their cars every single morning, Texans and other southerners are outside in shorts and T shirts and beautiful balmy sunshine, working in their gardens.

It's just a trade off - and anywhere you live you get to have a trade off of sorts. Yes, the southern states are hot from the middle of June through September - 3 or 4 months or so of pretty intense heat (that's why God invented air conditioning!). But our winters and springs and late autumns - in other words 8 months out of the year - are full of sunshine, brilliant blue skies, and clean fresh breezes. And you can throw in some pretty spectacular thunderstorms for spice!

If you don't live in a place with at least one uncomfortable season, then you're paying out the wazoo when it comes to cost of living, so there's your trade off.

Meanwhile, here in Texas, the last week of September, a cold front is moving in Monday and our daytime temps will be in the 80s and night time temps in the 50s. The term used for nearly every day next week? SUNNY SUNNY SUNNY SUNNY SUNNY. In other words, big blue skies, brilliant sunshine, and very pleasant temperatures.

To everything there is a season. Our season of porch sitting, fire pits, hot tubs, and cute scarves and boots is just around the corner. And thankfully we won't have to shovel snow to get out the door in the morning in January and February...and March...
In the Northeast, our spring and falls are very pleasant, and our summers are occasionally hot/humid, but not for long stretches. Our winters can be cold and snowy, but that's the pleasure of having four distinct seasons,and not six months of hot (>90 degrees) weather, like Texas..

I don't feel like living in a blast furnace for half the year, so it's shoveling, and a nice change of seasons, for me..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2016, 07:11 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,783,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Just look at this map from July 2015. Almost the entire state of Texas is in the dark red category. No other state can really compare.
All of Louisiana was red.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
I don't feel like living in a blast furnace for half the year, so it's shoveling, and a nice change of seasons, for me..
Good. Stay up there.

Old 09-25-2016, 07:56 PM

12,807 posts, read 9,532,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
All of Louisiana was red.

Good. Stay up there.
Ha. The angry Texan appears again. BTW, saying a place is hot isn't necessarily bad. Why do folks (Texans in particular) get so bent out of shape about it?

Old 09-25-2016, 08:04 PM

12,807 posts, read 9,532,543 times
Also, no votes for any of the deep south states. Is Bama through Georgia milder than Texas?

Old 09-25-2016, 08:48 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,783,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Ha. The angry Texan appears again. BTW, saying a place is hot isn't necessarily bad. Why do folks (Texans in particular) get so bent out of shape about it?
His and especially your reply to Kathryn's post was obviously suggesting that the climate down here is wrong and that you guys somehow have "real" weather up there. That irritates most anyone regardless of what state they're from.

I'm glad you enjoy your climate. Just know that I don't envy you.

Old 09-25-2016, 09:12 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,250,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
In the Northeast, our spring and falls are very pleasant, and our summers are occasionally hot/humid, but not for long stretches. Our winters can be cold and snowy, but that's the pleasure of having four distinct seasons,and not six months of hot (>90 degrees) weather, like Texas..

Couldn't agree more. Have you ever lived in the south? I spent 26 loooong summers in Houston. Our northeastern winters are a cakewalk compared to the Texas summers.

Old 09-25-2016, 09:12 PM

163 posts, read 165,376 times
Quote:
Just look at this map from July 2015. Almost the entire state of Texas is in the dark red category. No other state can really compare. Southern CA and Arizona defintely have hotter temps, but that's only a portion of the state. Northern CA looks quite pleasant to me.
There are significant areas of light orange/yellow spots over Texas for the specific time period you chose. Nowhere in Texas is dark red; the only dark red is in significant areas of California and Arizona (SE and SW portions of the states, respectively), as well as eastern Washington.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
No one is getting angry/bent-out-of-shape. This is discussion, things will be involved.

Old 09-25-2016, 09:17 PM

163 posts, read 165,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Couldn't agree more. Have you ever lived in the south? I spent 26 loooong summers in Houston. Our northeastern winters are a cakewalk compared to the Texas summers.
You can be dressed for a Texas summer in a fraction of the time it takes to dress for NE US winters, and at a fraction of the cost. Hot summer days give way to cooler evenings, cold winter days only get colder at night. More people enjoy themselves in Texas summer weather than NE US winter weather.

Old 09-25-2016, 09:34 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,806,003 times
Quote:
Just look at this map from July 2015. Almost the entire state of Texas is in the dark red category. No other state can really compare. Southern CA and Arizona defintely have hotter temps, but that's only a portion of the state. Northern CA looks quite pleasant to me.
Yeah people know Arizona only for Phoenix which does get very hot but we are so much more than that. It's like only basing the entire New York state off NYC for anything, more than just weather. I heard upstate NYers don't like that, neither do we.

Based on your map though Louisiana should be winning. I had a feeling but I voted Florida anyway

Old 09-25-2016, 09:42 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,705,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inphosphere View Post
You can be dressed for a Texas summer in a fraction of the time it takes to dress for NE US winters, and at a fraction of the cost. Hot summer days give way to cooler evenings, cold winter days only get colder at night. More people enjoy themselves in Texas summer weather than NE US winter weather.
But it takes me twice as long to get undressed from a Texas summer because the shirt is sticking to my back. I just experienced my first Texas summer and I hope to never experience it again. I haven't been able to do anything outside since June (unless you count walking from a house to the car).

Cooler evenings? Yeah, right... Most 100 degree days in North Texas result in 80-90 degree evenings. It's just as hot, the sun just isn't out. I live right in front of a park and I can assure you that there was no one out there mid-day in July. However, the place was packed at 6am, so the heat here must bother more than just me.

Weather is a personal preference. Some people prefer heat, and some people prefer the cold. Otherwise no one would live in Texas or Minnesota. Personally, I love having 4 distinct seasons. Places like North Carolina and Virginia offer the best weather. You have about three months of each season. In Texas, you end up with 5-6mo of summer, and in Minnesota you end up with the same, but winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.