Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Hottest state?
Texas 70 22.65%
Louisiana 11 3.56%
Alabama 3 0.97%
Mississsippi 3 0.97%
Georgia 2 0.65%
Florida 67 21.68%
South Carolina 3 0.97%
Arizona 144 46.60%
New Mexico 3 0.97%
Arkansas 3 0.97%
Voters: 309. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2016, 10:03 PM

163 posts, read 165,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
But it takes me twice as long to get undressed from a Texas summer because the shirt is sticking to my back. I just experienced my first Texas summer and I hope to never experience it again. I haven't been able to do anything outside since June (unless you count walking from a house to the car).
Undressing from a Texas summer is taking off a shirt and shorts, undressing from the northern winter is removing layers and layers of coats/clothing/pants, not to mention accessories like winter hats, gloves, etc.

Quote:
Cooler evenings? Yeah, right... Most 100 degree days in North Texas result in 80-90 degree evenings. It's just as hot, the sun just isn't out. I live right in front of a park and I can assure you that there was no one out there mid-day in July. However, the place was packed at 6am, so the heat here must bother more than just me.

Weather is a personal preference. Some people prefer heat, and some people prefer the cold. Otherwise no one would live in Texas or Minnesota. Personally, I love having 4 distinct seasons. Places like North Carolina and Virginia offer the best weather. You have about three months of each season. In Texas, you end up with 5-6mo of summer, and in Minnesota you end up with the same, but winter.
Rubbish my friend, once the sun is down, the atmosphere cools down; along the Texas Gulf Coast, the sea breeze blows in from the S/SE, providing constant, cooling air. Further inland, the temps just cool down; UHI can delay the process, but the cool down still happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2016, 05:57 AM

12,830 posts, read 9,547,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inphosphere View Post
You can be dressed for a Texas summer in a fraction of the time it takes to dress for NE US winters, and at a fraction of the cost. Hot summer days give way to cooler evenings, cold winter days only get colder at night. More people enjoy themselves in Texas summer weather than NE US winter weather.
Texas is a huge state. There were days were the heat index was above 95 at 11 pm in Dallas.

Old 09-26-2016, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inphosphere View Post
You can be dressed for a Texas summer in a fraction of the time it takes to dress for NE US winters, and at a fraction of the cost. Hot summer days give way to cooler evenings, cold winter days only get colder at night. More people enjoy themselves in Texas summer weather than NE US winter weather.
I could be in my birthday suit in the middle of August in any major Texas city and it would be hot. I can layer here in DC.

Old 09-26-2016, 07:46 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,708,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Texas is a huge state. There were days were the heat index was above 95 at 11 pm in Dallas.
9/20 had a high of 99 and a low of 80 in Dallas. I guarantee that it didn't reach 80 degrees until the wee early hours of the morning. If you had gone out at midnight, it would still be in the upper 80s or 90s.

Let's compare this to Raleigh, NC (my hometown). 9/8 had a high of 96 and a low of 68. By midnight it would have probably been in the 70s.

It can take some huge adjustment getting used to super hot night temperatures in North Texas.

Old 09-26-2016, 10:15 AM

Quote:
9/20 had a high of 99 and a low of 80 in Dallas. I guarantee that it didn't reach 80 degrees until the wee early hours of the morning. If you had gone out at midnight, it would still be in the upper 80s or 90s.

Let's compare this to Raleigh, NC (my hometown). 9/8 had a high of 96 and a low of 68. By midnight it would have probably been in the 70s.

It can take some huge adjustment getting used to super hot night temperatures in North Texas.
One of the big differences. DC can get hot during the day, no doubt, but nights are usually ok. And right now, it is going to be in the 70s until mid October it looks like. Heaven.

Old 09-26-2016, 12:54 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,254,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
This poster is a troll. As you can see, his/her account has been closed. Expect to see a new username in the next 24 hours making the same arguments.

Trolling aside, you raise an important point. Anyone who has lived in both Houston and the northeast is aware of the misery of a 6 month Texas summer. While we in the NE do have some heat waves, they come and go with pleasant breaks between them. And more importantly, on most of our uncomfortable days, the temps and humidity die down sufficiently to make evenings pleasant. I found Houston's unrelenting summers draining precisely because there is no escape - day or night.

Meanwhile, while we're reveling in our crisp fall weather, check out Houston's 10 day forecast.

Old 09-26-2016, 01:34 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,720,363 times
Florida is the warmest state in the continental United States, but not the "hottest." That distinction belongs to Arizona, whose populated populaces, overall, have the hottest - and longest - summers of any state in the nation.

Old 09-26-2016, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
This poster is a troll. As you can see, his/her account has been closed. Expect to see a new username in the next 24 hours making the same arguments.

Trolling aside, you raise an important point. Anyone who has lived in both Houston and the northeast is aware of the misery of a 6 month Texas summer. While we in the NE do have some heat waves, they come and go with pleasant breaks between them. And more importantly, on most of our uncomfortable days, the temps and humidity die down sufficiently to make evenings pleasant. I found Houston's unrelenting summers draining precisely because there is no escape - day or night.

Meanwhile, while we're reveling in our crisp fall weather, check out Houston's 10 day forecast.
Yep. I checked out Austin, Houston, Dallas, CC, etc, all my old haunts. All noticeably hotter. 88 can be comfortable (too hot for me), but for October, I don't know, I guess that's a reason I left Texas. Again in DC, won't hit 80 for the foreseeable future and I flat don't mind that at all.

Old 09-26-2016, 04:57 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,358,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post

Well, I look at it as having a nice, long... long... long extended swimming season for those of us with pools.

Lemonade out of lemons, and all that jazz.

Old 09-26-2016, 10:40 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,810,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
Florida is the warmest state in the continental United States, but not the "hottest." That distinction belongs to Arizona, whose populated populaces, overall, have the hottest - and longest - summers of any state in the nation.
This is the hottest state, not city. Besides Vegas gets just as hot and that's all Nevada is known for, not too mention not even a third of Nevada (minus isolated peaks) have actual forests that reach no higher than the 80s in our dry weather. Forests are a third of Arizona. Phoenix is not the entire state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.