Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Hottest state?
Texas 70 22.65%
Louisiana 11 3.56%
Alabama 3 0.97%
Mississsippi 3 0.97%
Georgia 2 0.65%
Florida 67 21.68%
South Carolina 3 0.97%
Arizona 144 46.60%
New Mexico 3 0.97%
Arkansas 3 0.97%
Voters: 309. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2016, 02:28 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Right, I understand you live in Tyler which is why I mentioned Tyler. Otherwise, I would have no reason to mention Tyler. Your high on Tuesday the 18th is 88 degrees. If that's comfortable to you, great. It's warm to me though, and that's ok to.

And, it really doesn't have to be as contentious as you're making it seem. "The more I post the more glad you are that we are far away?" Creepy and odd. "coming here is easy to avoid?" Well yes. Everywhere is easy to avoid. I'm not really insulting your state, it's actually my home state as well. To each their own.
Don't put on a coy act now - you've consistently posted negative comments about the weather in Texas and gone on and on about what you prefer about the weather in the DC area, as if it's superior. You think it's superior, and that's great, but as this thread proves - "superior weather" is extremely subjective.

A few years ago, I visited my daughter in the Hampton Roads area in March. I literally caught the last plane out of the Mid Atlantic region due to an ice storm that came barreling in. And I caught that plane back to Texas, where the temps were in the 50s and the skies were sunny - a common weather pattern in March around here.

My point is that you and I could trade jabs at each others' regions and weather days back and forth all year long and so what? You're going to have some great weather days in your region while we swelter or flood, and we're going to have some great weather days in our region while you evacuate due to a hurricane or slide around in the ice.

And in the end, you're going to prefer where you live and I'm going to prefer where I live - at least I certainly hope that's the case for both of us.

Yes, Texas is hotter than DC. And DC is colder than Texas. It is what it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2016, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Highs in Houston are forecasted at 90 or within a degree or two (with high humidity) through next Tuesday. In fact, there has not been a single day this month that Houston's high temps were in the 70s. I've seen posters here claim that Houston's summers are only 4 months. The actual data, however, offers some evidence that that claim may not be true for all residents. Like you, Gaylord, my internal thermostat runs on the low end, so I tend to thrive once temps run from the 70s to the 50s (which is why we vacation in Maine each October rather than the Caribbean).

I've never understood posters who make weather preferences such a contentious issue. The temps and humidity are objective measures. How we experience them, however, varies from person to person. What's to argue? And why fear living close to someone with different seasonal preferences? The logic of that claim in particular seems a touch faulty.
Why is that logic hard to follow? If one person prefers a different climate than another person, shouldn't they WANT to live in, well, different climates?

And what's fear got to do with it? It's a preference, not a paranoia.

Old 10-13-2016, 02:35 PM

Quote:
High in Tyler today will be 86. Houston and Dallas will both touch 90 this week. High of 89 in Tyler this weekend. That feels like summer, not fall to me. Now, if you want to say it'll be 60 degrees at midnight tonight in most of Texas, probably true.

High of 64 in DC today. Hottest this week will get is 74. That feels like fall.
To you.

The weather here in Texas today feels like fall to me. Fall in Texas. I'm OK with that. That's why I've lived here for 25 years.

I just got back from a week in Maine. One day it was 78 degrees. People were complaining everywhere we went about how "hot" it was. To them, it felt like summer. To me, it felt like fall - but I guess it felt like fall in Texas, not in Maine. Their nights dipped into the 40s at one point - BRRRRRR. To them it felt like fall. To me, it felt like winter. I did, however, get some GREAT deals on "summer" layers - light jackets and light cardigans that were being sold at the "end of the summer season." They will work great for me most of the winter! SCORE! But I couldn't buy one single winter item in LL Bean because without exception every single thing was so hot and heavy I wouldn't be able to wear any of it down here. I'm sure the dead of winter down here would feel like balmy autumn or maybe even spring to Mainers.

So yes, it's all subjective.

Old 10-13-2016, 02:47 PM

12,840 posts, read 9,567,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
To you.

The weather here in Texas today feels like fall to me. Fall in Texas. I'm OK with that. That's why I've lived here for 25 years.

I just got back from a week in Maine. One day it was 78 degrees. People were complaining everywhere we went about how "hot" it was. To them, it felt like summer. To me, it felt like fall - but I guess it felt like fall in Texas, not in Maine. Their nights dipped into the 40s at one point - BRRRRRR. To them it felt like fall. To me, it felt like winter. I did, however, get some GREAT deals on "summer" layers - light jackets and light cardigans that were being sold at the "end of the summer season." They will work great for me most of the winter! SCORE! But I couldn't buy one single winter item in LL Bean because without exception every single thing was so hot and heavy I wouldn't be able to wear any of it down here. I'm sure the dead of winter down here would feel like balmy autumn or maybe even spring to Mainers.

Kathryn, I think I'm done with this pillow fight. If you think that saying a place is hot is insulting it, that's on you. It's a statement of fact.

I hope you enjoy wearing your scarves and boots in the 88 degree fall weather. Good day.

Old 10-13-2016, 03:17 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,259,737 times
Quote:
To you.

Hope you enjoyed Maine. We've been there annually each fall for 15 or so years, including when we used to fly up from Houston. Being able to drive there now is sweet.

Think I'll join my friend Gaylord here and wish you a pleasant fall!

(my pic)

Last edited by Pine to Vine; 10-13-2016 at 03:40 PM..

Old 10-13-2016, 05:03 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,974,972 times
Quote:
To you.

It was 60 here today in Midland so that feels like fall to me.

Last edited by Westerntraveler; 10-13-2016 at 05:41 PM..

Old 10-13-2016, 05:36 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,330,890 times
Quote:
Kathryn, I think I'm done with this pillow fight. If you think that saying a place is hot is insulting it, that's on you. It's a statement of fact.

I hope you enjoy wearing your scarves and boots in the 88 degree fall weather. Good day.
So called "fall" weather in the 80's isnt bad at all if you like a few more months of barbecuing out in the evening, swimming in the pool and more time in the garden and just being outside longer. Its why you have growing seasons in places like the texas triangle and north Florida from 270-320 days .

I dont even get my pecans until late november and harvest alot of my stuff like eggplants,tomatoes,garlic ,kale and watermelons until late october/early november.

"Fall" and colder weather will come but later in november, thank god.

Old 10-13-2016, 07:23 PM

515 posts, read 558,415 times
Who the hell wants to wear a jacket in October??
I wish it would stay in the 80's till December...

Old 10-14-2016, 01:46 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,604,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hornraider View Post
Who the hell wants to wear a jacket in October??
I wish it would stay in the 80's till December...
Exactly, I don't understand the obsession with cold weather that some C-D posters have. I think cold is miserable and depressing; I crave "shorts and t-shirt" weather

Old 10-14-2016, 03:14 AM

969 posts, read 2,073,570 times
I don't understand the obsession with hot weather that some C-D posters have. I think hot is miserable and depressing; I crave "pants and sweatshirt" weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.