Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2016, 09:37 AM

1,552 posts, read 2,328,448 times

Advertisements

I was in Target in the evening and saw a young employee taking all the muffins and bagels out of the display case and throwing them in the trash.

This is just wrong - there are plenty of poor folks in San Antonio who would appreciate such in the morning.

If I were passing the display 10 minutes earlier, I could have bought those as safe. I asked him and he said the policy was to trash them. Boxed items were given to shelters but not the items baked at the store. He would have given me one to eat in the store.

Stupid and wrong.

I once saw HEB throwing away their roast chickens. Inquiring I was told that they used to give it to the shelters but once someone got sick and they were sued so that stopped.

What a society we live in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2016, 10:14 AM

8,238 posts, read 10,721,107 times
I dont know. It seems like they are making an effort to donate what they can. They just cant donate everything they want to.

Old 09-19-2016, 10:17 AM

995 posts, read 1,694,500 times
Probably because if they were not labeled for ingredients and calorie count, and some homeless guy with a nut allergy kicked the bucket, Target would be liable.

Keep in mind, they were just sued and lost because some lady stuck herself with a needle found in their parking lot.

If I was the CEO of target, I would definitely play it safe and toss them. We live in a stupid society.

Old 09-19-2016, 10:32 AM

9,848 posts, read 13,687,247 times
This happens at way more places than you think. Yes, donate them, give them to the homeless, etc. But the time and effort to do that is way harder than it is just to throw them out. This isn't just a target thing, it is not just s San Antonio thing. this is a good thing.

Old 09-19-2016, 10:49 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,827,375 times
Welcome to biting the hand that feeds you - literally! Until such a time as an immunity can be given for gifted items, this is going to continue - and I can't blame the stores. Who wants to defend themselves from a lawsuit originating from something you GIVE away???

Old 09-19-2016, 10:54 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,552,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Welcome to biting the hand that feeds you - literally! Until such a time as an immunity can be given for gifted items, this is going to continue - and I can't blame the stores. Who wants to defend themselves from a lawsuit originating from something you GIVE away???
So if you're poor and starving you deserve to die of a nut allergy?

The idea that because someone is poor they should just take what they get, even if it makes them ill, is what is wrong with society.

I agree I hate to see waste, but any food given has to be labelled appropriately and verified. That's why we have health and safety laws. They protect all, not just those that can afford to be choosey.

There definitely needs to be a better balance so less is wasted, but the idea that poor people don't deserve the same level of health and safety in their foods isn't representative a positive society either.

Old 09-19-2016, 11:07 AM

1,376 posts, read 1,365,874 times
Aren't there dumpster divers? They usually get their food that way don't they?

Old 09-19-2016, 11:46 AM

5,717 posts, read 18,909,338 times
I can see not many of you have volunteered to work at the San Antonio Food Bank. You'd be amazed at the trucks from all of the grocery stores that donate foods to the Food Bank. The foods donated must be non-perishables for obvious reasons. Anything like breads, unprocessed meats, etc they cannot use as they don't have the facilities to handle foods like that and anything like that would need to be used up in a short time. Might look at what goes on in this town with regards to making sure the poor get decent groceries to eat. All it'll cost you is about a 4 hour shift of fun work.
» Current Volunteer Opportunities | San Antonio Food Bank

Old 09-19-2016, 11:54 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,827,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
So if you're poor and starving you deserve to die of a nut allergy?

The idea that because someone is poor they should just take what they get, even if it makes them ill, is what is wrong with society.

I agree I hate to see waste, but any food given has to be labelled appropriately and verified. That's why we have health and safety laws. They protect all, not just those that can afford to be choosey.

There definitely needs to be a better balance so less is wasted, but the idea that poor people don't deserve the same level of health and safety in their foods isn't representative a positive society either.
Kindly tell me where I said that.

The idea is that we're each responsible for our own safety. Read the labels, take proper precautions - don't expect everyone to protect you.

Your response is exactly why so much is tossed. What you don't seem to realize is that even when properly labeled, donors have ended up being sued for other issues - and even if they win, they've spent an incredible amount of money to do so.

Old 09-19-2016, 12:08 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,552,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Kindly tell me where I said that.

The idea is that we're each responsible for our own safety. Read the labels, take proper precautions - don't expect everyone to protect you.
The fresh baked muffins aren't labelled.

Spend some time at the Food Bank to gain a greater understanding of what's involved.

Even at schools we can't bring items not pre-packaged individually because of the risk. It's frustrating, but understandable. Perishable items just aren't practical in food banks.

Last edited by elnina; 09-19-2016 at 06:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.