U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 12:52 PM

7,731 posts, read 4,578,077 times

Advertisements

Sometimes these "high wage" cities tend to lean heavily towards one or two industries, and offer very little in terms of wage benefit for those outside of those industries. My wife and I make just as much in Pittsburgh as we would (did) in Boston. We'd make slightly more in DC, but not enough to make up for the difference in COL. I'd be legitimately surprised if our income would be higher in Houston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2016, 01:42 PM

2,446 posts, read 1,048,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr roboto View Post
Minneapolis/St Paul always ranks high for 'bang for your buck' meaning median income * cost of living. Very low unemployment, housing is affordable for the middle class, big city amenities (all major sports, major airport, Fortune 500 employers, major university and many smaller private colleges, arts scene).

Madison and Des Moines are smaller metros which are tremendous value with high-paying job markets too.

Southern metros where land is still cheap and the developments are newer. Charlotte, Nashville, Houston, Dallas.
Yea, I have always heard good things about Minneapolis/St. Paul. It is a little isolated for my tastes (It's what? 4-5 hours or so to a city of similar size?), but it certainly fits here.

I can definitely see where Madison fits as well, being as close as it is to both Milwaukee and Chicago, and the Great Lakes. It also seems to have plenty to do right nearby as well. Don't know about its cost of living though, as I've never really researched it (same with Des Moines).

Old 09-20-2016, 02:14 PM

7,279 posts, read 13,535,512 times
Yeah, MPLS is 4 hrs to Madison, 5 to Milwaukee and 6 to Chicago. 3.5 to Des Moines, but while Des Moines is similar in size to Madison, it doesn't have quite as much going on. UW helps to pep up Madison a good bit.

Old 09-20-2016, 02:19 PM

5,300 posts, read 3,310,681 times
Most of the other cities on the list aren't exactly close to other places either. Unless it's a city in the Northeast, you will most likely be hours from another major city.

Old 09-20-2016, 02:27 PM

345 posts, read 337,022 times
Nashville and Houston. Maybe Charlotte. Don't go to Austin.

Old 09-20-2016, 02:37 PM

8,745 posts, read 7,697,184 times
Personally, I'd go with Manchester, NH. Really underrated place. I've always had fun there. 1 hour drive to Boston, but plenty to do in the city itself. Close to some fantastic natural beauty too. Considerably smaller than other cities mentioned here, like Cleveland, Pittsburgh, etc. Only about a half million people in the MSA. But being so close to Boston helps.

Old 09-20-2016, 02:43 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,142,222 times
Omaha
Kansas City
Des Moines
St Louis
OKC

Most of the Midwest is still affordable I believe.

Old 09-20-2016, 02:50 PM

5,300 posts, read 3,310,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar54 View Post
Omaha
Kansas City
Des Moines
St Louis
OKC

Most of the Midwest is still affordable I believe.
It is. And I think it will remain that way. Northerners and Californians won't move to the Midwest because of the weather and the fact that most of it's rural. Personally, I love the Midwest and can't wait to get back.

Old 09-20-2016, 03:02 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,142,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
It is. And I think it will remain that way. Northerners and Californians won't move to the Midwest because of the weather and the fact that most of it's rural. Personally, I love the Midwest and can't wait to get back.
Agree.

Old 09-20-2016, 03:56 PM

2,446 posts, read 1,048,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Most of the other cities on the list aren't exactly close to other places either. Unless it's a city in the Northeast, you will most likely be hours from another major city.
Some of them, yes. However, somewhere like Houston or Atlanta more than makes up for it in size and amenities. Not to mention there are simply more cities within that 4 or so hours.

Atlanta within 4 hours: Nashville, Charlotte, Asheville, Savannah, Birmingham, Chattanooga, beaches, mountains, and lakes.

Houston: Dallas, Austin, San Antonio, New Orleans (almost 5 hours).

Minneapolis within the same time limit: Des Moines, Madison, and Milwaukee? I guess you could probably add Duluth and Fargo in there as well?

Now don't get me wrong here, I have no issue with the MSP area. In fact, it is one my wife and I have talked about looking into moving to. Looks like a really cool area, and definitely belongs here, just explaining myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or